Climber Interviews, OMG!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can not disagree here. It depends on each situation, what and why one is pruning and how much is being removed to a large degree. If first time on the site, and only minor pruning is necessary (as in case of one we are doing this week - four small limbs on one tree - and few minor trims on rest - then it really is a matter of working with customer and then creating an inventory of site - recording over time - documenting and then going forward. (previous tree worker they had was single person who is now retired - but did a good job over time - so only minor items to pick up there)

But you are correct in that ANY removal of foliage at all can impact health of tree in question. Now if one were removing 15-20% of total foliage then one needs to consider a lot more. Guess it is what defines a trim to a large degree, species of tree, location, time of year, etc.

Again however, this can all come into play by on the job experience and not necessarily by certification. (You yourself said that you do not have after 28 years - yet you instinctively take items into consideration when doing work or discussing with client each day)

Some of it also comes into terms used locally.. when we use the word trim - we mean typically a fairly minor pruning job.

An arborist knows what a tree needs. (or don't need). We try to educate those who feel like they are paying "by the pound". There are classes of prunes, ie; crown clean , crown thin, structure prune, crown reduction, crown raise, etc..., there are no terms (professionally), such as, Lace, Balance, (shape), etc.., . For example, We don't prune more than 15% on pines and wait till late fall to do that. Mature trees re-act different than young trees. Knowing how and when to prune palms helps a good lot.
Jeff :)

I can not disagree here. It depends on each situation, what and why one is pruning and how much is being removed to a large degree. If first time on the site, and only minor pruning is necessary (as in case of one we are doing this week - four small limbs on one tree - and few minor trims on rest - then it really is a matter of working with customer and then creating an inventory of site - recording over time - documenting and then going forward. (previous tree worker they had was single person who is now retired - but did a good job over time - so only minor items to pick up there)

But you are correct in that ANY removal of foliage at all can impact health of tree in question. Now if one were removing 15-20% of total foliage then one needs to consider a lot more. Guess it is what defines a trim to a large degree, species of tree, location, time of year, etc.

Again however, this can all come into play by on the job experience and not necessarily by certification. (You yourself said that you do not have after 28 years - yet you instinctively take items into consideration when doing work or discussing with client each day)

Some of it also comes into terms used locally.. when we use the word trim - we mean typically a fairly minor pruning job.

The differences I see is many people like myself though not certified have put in sufficient study toward the goal of understanding tree health. I am going to take the test but to me until I can thoroughly understand all aspects covered and I mean thorough the cert is mute. In other words; I likely could test and pass with a little cramming in my trouble areas but I am not studying for a test, I am studying to become completely knowledgeable in all the areas of our profession! I often look up answers to questions by customers I can not answer. I have at least a grand of study material and software to do so and have been through much of it. Anyway certs don't make the arborist, study and practice do.

The differences I see is many people like myself though not certified have put in sufficient study toward the goal of understanding tree health. I am going to take the test but to me until I can thoroughly understand all aspects covered and I mean thorough the cert is mute. In other words; I likely could test and pass with a little cramming in my trouble areas but I am not studying for a test, I am studying to become completely knowledgeable in all the areas of our profession! I often look up answers to questions by customers I can not answer. I have at least a grand of study material and software to do so and have been through much of it. Anyway certs don't make the arborist, study and practice do.

I don't care if you take the test, you already have been studying and I bet you apply that to your jobs! Your customers are getting an Arborist that hasn't taken the test yet. They should be happy!

An arborist knows what a tree needs. (or don't need). We try to educate those who feel like they are paying "by the pound". There are classes of prunes, ie; crown clean , crown thin, structure prune, crown reduction, crown raise, etc..., there are no terms (professionally), such as, Lace, Balance, (shape), etc.., . For example, We don't prune more than 15% on pines and wait till late fall to do that. Mature trees re-act different than young trees. Knowing how and when to prune palms helps a good lot.

I have a huge Quercus rubra that's been lions tailed over the years from shading. This tree 100 years ago could have used crown thinning and possibly light reduction. I now do light reductions every three years and dead wooding as necessary. I feel it is too mature to take much meddling even though it site is prime.

I have a huge Quercus rubra that's been lions tailed over the years from shading. This tree 100 years ago could have used crown thinning and possibly light reduction. I now do light reductions every three years and dead wooding as necessary. I feel it is too mature to take much meddling even though it site is prime.

Dude, that is what I saying! You are caring for a tree. They got a guy that makes love to their trees. You should just take the damn test! :cheers:
A prune cut , is a wound cut. An arborist should know how a tree re-acts to pruning (wounding).
Me again. :givebeer: Oaks around here are 'sensitive'.

Dude, that is what I saying! You are caring for a tree. They got a guy that makes love to their trees. You should just take the damn test! :cheers:
A prune cut , is a wound cut. An arborist should know how a tree re-acts to pruning (wounding).

I call dead wooding trimming and live cuts pruning...

Yup specimen specific codit is one thought I have but more importantly to my goal is; where will the growth go after I cut this limb,twig,branch or even bud! Does pruning the apical bud cause growth to be invigorated elsewhere in the tree? I say yes momentarily until the new apical bud dominates growth again. How can I use this to my advantage? If I thin the top will I create more lower growth through photo tropism and should I. How much inner growth is there, is it a healthy balance. ?These are some of the questions I ask myself before cutting or pruning begins!

Yup specimen specific codit is one thought I have but more importantly to my goal is; where will the growth go after I cut this limb,twig,branch or even bud! Does pruning the apical bud cause growth to be invigorated elsewhere in the tree? I say yes momentarily until the new apical bud dominates growth again. How can I use this to my advantage? If I thin the top will I create more lower growth through photo tropism and should I. How much inner growth is there, is it a healthy balance. ?These are some of the questions I ask myself before cutting or pruning begins!

:cheers:
Jeff

has anyone ever said, "ok lets see what you can do" ? and if the guy shows up with all the right stuff you put him to work but if there is no saddle, ropes and saw you turn them down??

Right on. I've been climbing and consulting for over 20 years now without cert. But, I live in a university town with a large Hort department and have professor pals and an extension lab to talk to and look at stuff any time I don't know what I'm dealing with. As a result, my clients get the best, latest, info and advice while I'm getting an education. It's great to be able to say to clients, "lets get a second opinion from the U who wont have a vested interest in the outcome".

I never thought I'd be doing this another year much less 20 so now am figuring I ought to take the tests. Maybe I'll be able to quit climbing and running saws and just be a "consulting arborist". Give me a little golf cart and a laser pointer and a megaphone.:monkey:

Right on. I've been climbing and consulting for over 20 years now without cert. But, I live in a university town with a large Hort department and have professor pals and an extension lab to talk to and look at stuff any time I don't know what I'm dealing with. As a result, my clients get the best, latest, info and advice while I'm getting an education. It's great to be able to say to clients, "lets get a second opinion from the U who wont have a vested interest in the outcome".

I never thought I'd be doing this another year much less 20 so now am figuring I ought to take the tests. Maybe I'll be able to quit climbing and running saws and just be a "consulting arborist". Give me a little golf cart and a laser pointer and a megaphone.:monkey:

Most working stiff tree men don't really want that but then you do have to think about the aging body too! I have two proctors to draw info from but really any info I need is in my personal library. I have a strong grasp of the biology end and am going to take the test to put the icing on the cake soon. I really need work on species out of the norm and fertilization and disease which is a fairly broad spectrum that I have to look up when needed but I want it to roll off the tongue or in other word not have to look it up. I do admit; knowing where to find the info and admitting you don't know an answer, may well be acceptable in our field but at a personal level is unacceptable. I want to know it without looking the info up! I know I make it harder than it has to be but I want to be what the title represents"arborist".

The differences I see is many people like myself though not certified have put in sufficient study toward the goal of understanding tree health. I have at least a grand of study material and software to do so and have been through much of it.

As do likely most of us!! Either in DVD's, books, whatever. Making me think might be a good thread, discussing what study material is good, and for what reasons. Might help many of us.

Anyway certs don't make the arborist, study and practice do.

Agreed. Which is what certification only demonstrates really. And benefit is because the study is based upon known practices, and tests performed in uniform manner then in theory at least it gives some guidelines on knowledge level of individual. Now we also all have access to ANSI A300 books, which cover a lot of theory and provide solid guidelines as well.

And there are dozens of books and DVD's available. Some are excellent, others while not necessarily bad may not be worth the dollars invested. But study is necessary to both improve and gain the knowledge. (now as stated earlier some of that can also be done via on the job training if you have an experienced mentor who is knowledgeable in best practices)

As do likely most of us!! Either in DVD's, books, whatever. Making me think might be a good thread, discussing what study material is good, and for what reasons. Might help many of us.

Agreed. Which is what certification only demonstrates really. And benefit is because the study is based upon known practices, and tests performed in uniform manner then in theory at least it gives some guidelines on knowledge level of individual. Now we also all have access to ANSI A300 books, which cover a lot of theory and provide solid guidelines as well.

And there are dozens of books and DVD's available. Some are excellent, others while not necessarily bad may not be worth the dollars invested. But study is necessary to both improve and gain the knowledge. (now as stated earlier some of that can also be done via on the job training if you have an experienced mentor who is knowledgeable in best practices)

I have goals that reach beyond certification they are personal goals. I will likely get the cert but the real reason for study is to provide optimum service to my clients and my clients are trees! It must at some point become each arborist's goal imo to care for the trees he mutilates for the needs of home owners.

I have learned more by my active participation here at AS than I did from any of the certification studies.

But then again, I am more of a bookworm than most of you guys, so the bookish part of certification I already had in inventory.

i never understood why so many jobs say "must have valid drivers license" .. i figured how hard is it to have a damn drivers license ?
after working for tree removal company for a year, i soon realized. other than the boss, i was the only one who had a drivers license, and was the youngest on the crew by about 8 years. 4-5 guys came and went in that years time, none had a license, same story, driving drunk, lost it, then drove drunk again and lost it for even longer... idiots
i saw one of the guys last summer driving down the highway, i hope he had his license and just wasnt driving illegally again..

Back