Climbers only, age poll.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How old are you?

• 0 to 18

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • 18 to 25

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • 25 to 35

Votes: 36 29.5%
  • 35 to 45

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • 45 to 55

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • 55 to 65

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • 65 to 75

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 75 and up

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mike Maas said:
I can tap on my knees fine. Stay the heck away from my elbow though.:cry:

As you didn't write elbows (plural) I assume it's the right elbow and they say (who-ever they are?) the prime cause is one handing! Is this true? :popcorn:

i have zero injuries from treeclimbing, but treeclimbing/groundie work aggravates all my old mountain biking, long distance cycling, streetluging injuries....

34, turnign 35.

After 20+ years in this biz, from the ground up I sound like a bowl of rice crispies in the morning getting out of bed. :D

I'm 17 but I started climbing when I was 16. Been in the industry since 13 and I love it... No injuries yet and all limbs still attached, only a few little back cramps here and there from my weightlifting.

As you didn't write elbows (plural) I assume it's the right elbow and they say (who-ever they are?) the prime cause is one handing! Is this true?

Jeez, I hope that aint true :\

Yeah, it's true, get used to using your left hand too ... trust me on that one.

(WLL) said:
look at the poll n c 4 ur self:help:

Very interesting. By your logic there are a lot of 35-45 year old business owners on this site!

BTW I am 29 and holding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ekka said:
As you didn't write elbows (plural) I assume it's the right elbow and they say (who-ever they are?) the prime cause is one handing! Is this true? :popcorn:
Several of the climbers I know are my age, 40 something. They all have aches and pains that are part of getting old, but there is a common theme of worn out joints, shoulder, elbow and wrists. Those are the injuries you end up with if you last in this job for a long time.
It's interesting to see that what you end being forced to do, is to learn proper work positioning using double tie ins. Also holding the saw with two hands, which means using ropes and taking bigger limbs, to keep up production.
Like others have mentioned, I'm faster now than I was 10 years ago. Part of that is being forced to do things the right way. That's the thing about pain, it lets you know what causes it.
So to answer your question, yes, one handing causes repetitive motion joint injuries, plus it's dangerous.

The poll results are interesting, more old climbers than I would think.
I wonder if the poll reflects the fact that younger people, in general, are more likely to be on a computer site voting. If you factor that in, the poll would indicate there are even more old farts climbing.

For me at 59, the hardest part of the day is getting all the gear on. About two steps up into the tree and melatonin and other endorphins kick in and the aches are gone for the rest of the day. It even worked when I screwed up my rotater cuff a year and a half ago. It hurt to do anything, except climb. Got me out of a lot of brush loading that first summer. It took about 15 months to get healed up, but I have no pain at all now. Guess I am still a young'n when it comes to healing up.

Redo the poll in another 15 years and I will mark the 75+ box.

Have fun.

Ekka said:

Dunno--I one hand my top-handle stihl. My elbow got tweaked from piling and burning the equivalent of about 50 brush piles in a 2 weeks. I just hope it gets better quicker than my knee, which has been screwed up fro five years from, umm, a cub-scout sledding trip.

still climbing

I'm 50ish, still climb but would call it more a stress reduction and pleasure passtime than a profession. Once it's in your blood, well, what can I say. Folks tell me I'm nuts, but still very much enjoy getting up, freedom. I can climb one easy tree (using the new rock climbing tech) when it would have been 7 trees in the old days. I well remember the days of feeling and believing myself to be darn near invincible...not an end in sight. Well youngsters, take note: I was the tough of the tough, nicknamed squirrel, known to be crazy, et al. Old man time made an old man of me! But I still say do as much as you can or wish to do in the trees, I think we were born for it. God knows--do what's right even if noone watches. Good hunting and be aware of dangers out there. Plenty of danger in St. Louis, MO right now!

Age 59 and still love to climb

I've been climbing off and on for a long time and making good money. Owning my own small company helps. Its great knowing that if I go and bid the job right that most of the money at the end of the job is mine. The tree business is a great business to be in ... at any age. :D

I added to the 45 to 55 bracket.

Don't have to climb full time anymore, but I can still do it no problem. Experience is half the battle in making this job easy or an ardious task. With today's climbing gear it is easier than ever.

Larry

TackleTree said:
I would imagine there are not too many 75+ using computers!:laugh:

Good point--this skews the results of the survey cuz the oldfolks don't see the poll.

I'm 56; jsut returned from rec climbing oaks and sequoias and redwoods in california, now back to work, 15-20 hrs a week of which is climbing. could do more but other stuff is more fun and important at the moment.

underwor said:
For me at 59, the hardest part of the day is getting all the gear on. About two steps up into the tree and melatonin and other endorphins kick in and the aches are gone for the rest of the day.

Getting up in the morning. I have to help my wife get out the door by 5:30.

Latest posts

Back