climbing advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man.. You should be careful as to not promote those as training videos... I really don't mean to offend, but there's some critical info lacking in those videos.

Man.. You should be careful as to not promote those as training videos... I really don't mean to offend, but there's some critical info lacking in those videos.

It's all good. I wouldn't take offense to that comment. True most of my video's are posted to give new climbers an idea of what to do and just like all the other guys who post videos to YouTube and we show how we personally get the job done and in my case I am more on the tutorial side with some of my vids. However, I normally express that they need more training and that it comes down to their preference (such as the gear and climbing methods) since how I climb and how they climb will differ based on locality of their tree work, training, size, you know, the typical things that vary with our work so they can make informed decisions as to how they will go about doing it. So far this is the first time someone said that there was "critical" information lacking and I am curious to know from you just what that was because I have no intentions of misleading or spreading harmful content around the web and I welcome your feedback as respects this regarding those 2 vids. The 101 vid was a tutorial and the other wasn't at all but just me taking down a tree. Let me know.

It's all good. I wouldn't take offense to that comment. True most of my video's are posted to give new climbers an idea of what to do and just like all the other guys who post videos to YouTube and we show how we personally get the job done and in my case I am more on the tutorial side with some of my vids. However, I normally express that they need more training and that it comes down to their preference (such as the gear and climbing methods) since how I climb and how they climb will differ based on locality of their tree work, training, size, you know, the typical things that vary with our work so they can make informed decisions as to how they will go about doing it. So far this is the first time someone said that there was "critical" information lacking and I am curious to know from you just what that was because I have no intentions of misleading or spreading harmful content around the web and I welcome your feedback as respects this regarding those 2 vids. The 101 vid was a tutorial and the other wasn't at all but just me taking down a tree. Let me know.

How long have you been in the biz?,and how old are you?
Just curious,
Jeff

I am 10 years in and at 30 still learning something new everyday in this business.

I remember watching your vids like 2 / 3 years ago.
I remember you were the one who got me into using a hand saw. In one of your vids you talked about how a handsaw is very underrated by many, and boy were you right!
My old boss never used one so I didnt know how badass they were but now I've got one on me at all times.

I remember you used to make weird vids about how you would sell like gold / metal and weird stuff like that too

I remember watching your vids like 2 / 3 years ago.
I remember you were the one who got me into using a hand saw. In one of your vids you talked about how a handsaw is very underrated by many, and boy were you right!
My old boss never used one so I didnt know how badass they were but now I've got one on me at all times.

I remember you used to make weird vids about how you would sell like gold / metal and weird stuff like that too

LOL...yep I got all kinds of Vids. My passion is for Tree Work and I have grown so much since then and it makes me glad to know that my videos made a difference in your life as well as the many others I stay in contact with especially since I too relied heavily on Youtube and the like websites, books, and the web which are great sources of information with respects to our trade. We can rub shoulders with guys from all walks but together we stand united by our trade and we all grow together however slow or fast. I am fascinated to death with all the many devices, mechanical setups, gear and splicing nowadays I don't know what to do. Take care of yourself in those trees man and I appreciate the continued support.

For one any good training video will include first aid kit,and you should teach the groundy how to find closest hospital on the smart phone and he should also know the address your working. Before you say, "yeah yeah" accidents in this business, seconds can make a difference if emt services are needed! It should also include climbing spurless, as way too many trees are mutilated by spurs. Someone out there trys to climb your way gets injured or killed and it leads back to your video it can be bad on you especially if things are left out or not in line with anzi standards. "Just saying" you must remember many people out there have no business doing anything more dangerous than screwing in a light bulb. They see this and think ok so that's easy and try it and get hurt or worse.

For one any good training video will include first aid kit,and you should teach the groundy how to find closest hospital on the smart phone and he should also know the address your working. Before you say, "yeah yeah" accidents in this business, seconds can make a difference if emt services are needed! It should also include climbing spurless, as way too many trees are mutilated by spurs. Someone out there trys to climb your way gets injured or killed and it leads back to your video it can be bad on you especially if things are left out or not in line with anzi standards. "Just saying" you must remember many people out there have no business doing anything more dangerous than screwing in a light bulb. They see this and think ok so that's easy and try it and get hurt or worse.

I believe it's safe to say that a lot of us youtubers who do post videos are aware of liabilities associated with people who are not the brightest, however, our trade does call for extreme measures regarding safety. It also requires a good measure of common sense/knowledge. Some of which is left out of videos like many of mine and others since we automatically assume it's something people normally know what to do say in the case of an emergency such as calling 911 or knowing location, etc. I will be sure to be more adept regarding safety like these concerns in future videos. However, the removal vids are spike appropriate and there are Videos on my channel showing spikeless climbing. Thanks for the feedback I have taken it into consideration.

I think you missed my point there are teaching organizations who are insured and anzi compliant and are experts. I'm not trying to belittle you, mainly point out that these self authorized training things seem to be attempts to stroke ego's. I'm also not saying it is in your case but we have had many murphs in this business. Self proclaimed training instructors, my suggestion and I mean this with kindness, obtain you certification as a training instructor if your true desire is teaching!

LOL...yep I got all kinds of Vids. My passion is for Tree Work and I have grown so much since then and it makes me glad to know that my videos made a difference in your life as well as the many others I stay in contact with especially since I too relied heavily on Youtube and the like websites, books, and the web which are great sources of information with respects to our trade. We can rub shoulders with guys from all walks but together we stand united by our trade and we all grow together however slow or fast. I am fascinated to death with all the many devices, mechanical setups, gear and splicing nowadays I don't know what to do. Take care of yourself in those trees man and I appreciate the continued support.

Hey bud, can i ask how long your 2in1's are? 16 strand?

~Moose

Edit: what saddle you runnin? Weaver Cougar?

I would 'market' them as entertainment videos, rather than entertainment videos. I think Jimmy Diresta does a good job of this. The safety nazis are all over him for the way he works, and he just says this is how I do it, don't follow how I do it, use my ideas as inspiration. Know full well that people will work exactly the same way he does.

I think you missed my point there are teaching organizations who are insured and anzi compliant and are experts. I'm not trying to belittle you, mainly point out that these self authorized training things seem to be attempts to stroke ego's. I'm also not saying it is in your case but we have had many murphs in this business. Self proclaimed training instructors, my suggestion and I mean this with kindness, obtain you certification as a training instructor if your true desire is teaching!

Point taken. Who knows maybe I will one day once I clear a few things out of the way.

Hey bud, can i ask how long your 2in1's are? 16 strand?

~Moose

Edit: what saddle you runnin? Weaver Cougar?
Yep the saddle is the Weaver Cougar with replacement webbing rope bridge. The 2 lanyards are like was mention double braid 24 strand. I usually make them 15-25 foot depending on the purpose.

I would 'market' them as entertainment videos, rather than entertainment videos. I think Jimmy Diresta does a good job of this. The safety nazis are all over him for the way he works, and he just says this is how I do it, don't follow how I do it, use my ideas as inspiration. Know full well that people will work exactly the same way he does.

Jimmy is a beast at what he does.

Back