Climbing Line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Froggy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've climbed on many different climbing lines at work, but now it's time for me to invest in my own. I've got some lines in mind. If it wouldn't be a bother. Could some of you all let me know what you climb on and how it worked for you. Thanks BB

I've been using Safety Blue for about 5 years. Soft feel, the second-strongest climbing rope on the market (7,700 lbs) and it's about the least expensive rope you can buy. The high load rating is good for me because I downgrade my lifeline to a handline when my old handline wears out. This way I'm always climbing on the newest rope. Plain white with blue core. Virtually no milking.

My next rope is going to be the Blue Streak. 8,100 lb rating, has a stiffer feel- reminds me of the old Arbor Plex, but not as bad. When I tried a new line Saturday it didn't seem to snag with ascenders as easily as the Safety Blue. A little more money, but will make it easier identifying my lifeline from the handline. Blue and White striped. I've heard this rope needs no milking.

Pro-Stripe is a Sherrill color Bleu-Streak, Same as Hi Vee. Slightly less Tensil due to dey degredation of the fibers. I clime on this.

Got some XTC too, good rope.

SRT is Blue Water static-line.

froggy,
i just picked up a 120' chunk of blue streak from
sherrill. i decided to spend a little extra $ and buy
the strongest line available. i'll let you know how it
works out for me.....so far, so good.
budroe:cool:

I climbed on Arborplex long ago and liked it. Safety blue was even better-stronger with a better 'hand'. Now I'm climbing on Yellow Jacket. Great hand and I like the distinctive color.

I had a bad experience with TreePro Red several years ago. Too waxy, I climbed on it one day and almost injured myself because I couldn't get my friction hitch to hold. The second day I owned it, it was a handline. A month later I broke it pulling a truck out of the mud. Good riddance.

I am using a 3/2 swabisch of 3/8ths three strand nylon and it holds great on the Yellow jacket. YJ is a VERY waxy rope. I don't know how it will change with wear.

BlueStreak, 7/16 static and 3/8 static. Just picked up the 3/8 static this weekend. Did a little SRT and foot lock with it today and love it.

I climb on Hi-Vee. A good rope, I'd say.

I don't recommend the Pro-Spec stuff! It's so soft and too easy to splice...it doesn't seem like the splices would hold. I have no proof, but they made me nervous. The rope is just too floppy and sloppy for my taste.

Nickrosis

I second the hi-vee; it is orange safety blue, a little harder on the hands when footlocking, otherwise handles about the same. Helpful to have a distinctive color when groundman is trying to sort out which rope is which.

Fred

I climbed on it for a little more then a week, it was starting to fuzz up, but my traction sucked. If I was not using FL on it I would have liked it's other aspects, nice hand and all. This was a 150 hank, so intended for tall trees.

I have found all new rope to be waxy or slick. It is part of why they never get used until the old is really worn out. Those chainsaw nicks really help your hitch hold. Pathetic huh?? Got some of the XTC - USA last week and cut my old line in 2. I knew it would be the only way it would not be used again. Still have my blue streak - it was slick at first too. I think that maybe you just have to use more care in dressing your hitch.

Back