controllers for outdoor wood furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree ark

Reaction score
I have a Central Boiler Wood Furnace, it's OK, but that's not the issue.

My controller died and CB hasn't had this controller for years. The company that made it Watlow doesn't even remember making it for CB.

It was called a HEAT TRAC controller and it was magnificent!!

Anyway I'm looking for a replacement.

Here's what this controller can do:

It can set the temp to 165 - 195 No big deal
It can run with the blower or naturally aspirated again no big deal they all can do these things
It can turn on the light outside the furnace.

It has two modes: Efficiency and something else I don't remember what the other mode officially was called; I call it Blast Mode

In Efficiency when the aquastat is calling for heat you can set the blower to three different fan speeds to run for three different time periods of 1-59 minutes sequentially. If the water doesn't come up to temperature within these set times the draft and the blower then shut down.

In Blast Mode mode the draft and the blower stay on until the water temperature reaches the preset or forever if the water doesn't come to temp.

And here's the biggie!!! It has a remote that can do all off the above from my nice warm house. Unfortunately it doesn't load the wood.

My friend, a HVAC guy, is coming up with controllers that can replace some but not all of this controller's functions.

Does anyone out there know of any HVAC controller that can do all or at least most of what the Heat Trac Controller did?

CB's replacement is a controller that is either off or on, one fan speed but nothing except a remote readout in the house. Very pedestrian!!

I can't believe that I'm the only outdoor furnace driver that enjoys tweaking his stove from the warmth of my kitchen!!!

Last edited:
I can't believe that I'm the only outdoor furnace driver that enjoys tweaking his stove from the warmth of my kitchen!!!

Now you know how I feel.. :msp_sad:

Hope you find a way to make it work.

Back