Cordless Chainsaws and Outdoor Power Equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It appears, that your vacuum and these chainsaws have more in common than we realized!

Although, they do not appear to make the Dyson, TTI does make several vacuum cleaners, including the cordless Hoover I mentioned (did not know this at the time of that post). Apparently, they also make many of the Rigid brand cordless tools, and the ECHO chainsaws for Home Depot, under license.

Screen shot 2015-04-24 at 11.49.44 AM.png

http://www.ttigroup.com/en/our_brands/

Philbert

I see they've released the new brushless Oregon leaf blower, so the chain saw should be up shortly.

I think that's the one I saw running at the local dealer. It had plenty of oomph to it. Didn't catch the model number though, but it moved air! I know the saw was not the brushless, because I'm the one that turned them on to the oregon battery tools and told them the brushless should be coming out soon. I also turned them on to fiskars axes and they sell quite a few now.

Tried to get them interested in DHT splitters, but not much interest there, not sure why not, they sell a lot of chainsaws.

I know the saw was not the brushless, because I'm the one that turned them on to the oregon battery tools and told them the brushless should be coming out soon.

According to Oregon press releases, the new, brushless saw (CS300) will have a similar profile, but a different color scheme (grey and black) than the current model (CS250 - red, black, and grey).

Philbert
Screen shot 2015-06-09 at 5.52.43 PM.png

Heard back from some Oregon Reps today. They said that they expect the new, brushless chainsaw to be available around 'mid-August' in the US.
Europe may have a different release date (it is referred to as a '36 Volt' saw there).

Philbert

Ok here's my first run observations. I charged the battery, which was already 2/3 full...took about 10 minutes with the quick charger. I pulled the trigger in my shop and it seemed a bit slow, but torqey. But as I went outside and cut into a log I realized that the brushless system is sensored. As you start digging into wood it kicks into higher gear and had much more power. This conserves battery life because it's only working at its full power when it needs to.

I carved a bear for about 18 minutes when the battery finally was completely discharged ...NOT BAD!!(it's only a 2ah capacity battery). Run time was longer than the Echo which had a supposed 4ah battery. This saw is quite a bit lighter than the echo too.
I was completely expecting to return this saw within says....but I think this is a keeper. If it performs like this on a regular basis I will be completely satisfied....and I'll pick up at least one extra battery.

The battery was only slightly warm at the end of first use. The echo battery was hotter after just a minute or to of use.

I will probably remove the 18" bar and use a 16"....I have a few that should fit.

The Stihls age great smaller battery saws...and very durable . I use them every day for detailing and finishing carving. But I think I've finally found a saw that will let me do the bigger block out cuts on 3foot type carvings. And I have peace of mind that I'm not driving the neighbors nuts with too much noise. ...and it's so enjoyable, especially in the hot weather to carve with no hot hearing protectors on my ears:)

I've run 5 battery packs through the saw already. The batteries are getting a bit warm...but I don't know if that really matters. I'm happy with this saw. It's just what I was looking for. It's still no replacement for an average gas saw that can run a 18" bar, but it has its purpose.....for me the 10 or 15 minutes it takes to rough cut a medium size carving(and i do about 6 of these in a days work....so thats over an hour a day where I can limit my noise) It is not a saw for huge jobs, cutting lots of firewood or cutting 18" logs!! But It's a darn good saw to have on hand for small trees, limbing and odds and ends. I just hope it holds up.

...and I know someone said this somewhere, but this IS the same saw as the GreenWorks 80v. The Lowes version is about $75 cheaper and more easy to return if you're not happy with it.

WARNING - THIS STUFF IS STILL LIVE UNLESS THE BATTERY IS REMOVED!

***I am posting this here due to the general interest in battery powered outdoor powered equipment (OPE). Many times, when I see someone pick up a battery chainsaw (etc.) their first impulse is to squeeze/test the trigger - not a problem with most gasoline powered tools, where it is easy to know if the engine is running. But it can be a real surprise with an electric tool, especially one without a cord which may be perceived as 'safe', less powerful, or even as a 'toy'. I explain this to anyone when handing them a battery tool; "The tool is 'live' if the battery is installed". I have also placed warning labels and even 'trigger locks' on some tools left out at GTGs.***

The report, below, appears to address manufacturing or design defects, with similar hazards.

"After failing to report safety defects on its battery-powered mowers, Black & Decker is playing a $1.575 million fine after agreeing to a settlement with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and U.S. Justice Dept. The settlement marks the sixth time since 1986 that Black & Decker has paid fines for failing to report safety defects.

This most recent fine regarding battery-powered mower defects covers 11 years, beginning in 1998 when the company began receiving complaints the blades wouldn’t turn off even after the handles were released and safety key removed—and in some cases the blades would start spontaneously. At least two consumers were injured when blades started up while their mowers were being cleaned. According to reports, Black & Decker identified the defect in 2004, but waited until 2009 to report it to the CPSC. The company agreed to a recall of the machines in 2010.

In addition to the fine, Black & Decker must maintain an internal compliance program to ensure compliance with CPSC safety statutes and regulations and also will develop a system of internal controls and procedures including creating written standards and policies, allowing confidential employee reporting of compliance, and implementing corrective and preventive actions when compliance deficiencies or violations are identified."

***Pull the batteries before working on battery powered tools!***

Philbert

photo 1.jpg photo 2.jpg

A couple of years ago I was at a trade show for Husqvarna Netherlands. On all their showcase machines they broke off the contacts from the batteries. When I saw them do that I was like "what the crap". Then I realized it would definitely keep the visitors out of the hospital.

Back