Cordless Pro Saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moto Vita

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My shoulders are shot.
I want a cordless saw for thinning and pruning soft woods, 16" minimum bar length, quality tool, light and powerful. Preferably from pro shop so I can trade in a gas saw that I can't start anymore, everything I have is Stihl. I've been searching this site and others but not finding much current info.
Any suggestions?

You WILL likely be able to start a Dolmar 420/421/Makita ea4300. It is nearly effortless.

too bad about your shoulders. This getting older stuff sucks in some ways...

You WILL likely be able to start a Dolmar 420/421/Makita ea4300. It is nearly effortless.

too bad about your shoulders. This getting older stuff sucks in some ways...
I have an MS200T and a couple of 026s that I can start, and will when I need to, but every little move I can save my shoulders from helps.

You haven't started a 421?, then seriously, you don't understand how effortless they are. There's a video around somewhere of a 10yo-6yo?? girl starting one repeatedly.

seriously. I'm serious. Seriously. Lol.

but seriously, they require NO effort due to a superlative easy-start spring rewind.

You haven't started a 421?, then seriously, you don't understand how effortless they are. There's a video around somewhere of a 10yo-6yo?? girl starting one repeatedly.

seriously. I'm serious. Seriously. Lol.

but seriously, they require NO effort due to a superlative easy-start spring rewind.
OK you've piqued my curiousity. It looks like Home Depot is the only game in town though, and they don't stock it in the store. I guess I can check and see if they have one in their rental fleet.

OK you've piqued my curiousity. It looks like Home Depot is the only game in town though, and they don't stock it in the store. I guess I can check and see if they have one in their rental fleet.

makita ea4300=Dolmar ps421.
Great little saw!

I have a ps420, which is the predecessor to the 421 and a keeper.

I want a cordless saw for thinning and pruning soft woods, . . .
Preferably from pro shop . . .
everything I have is Stihl.
Based on your criteria, visit your STIHL dealer and check theirs out. Husqvarna battery saws also have a very good reputation.

Lots of other battery saws out there, including many more affordable: 'PRO' is always gonna cost more. You might want to sell your gas saw on CL and look at some of the others.

***Always check out the complete range of tools that the battery you choose supports ***
E.g. different STIHL saws use different batteries. If you like your battery powered saw, you will very likely want other tools that are compatible. Trust me on this! Pole saw, string trimmer, leaf blower, . . .

Philbert

https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...chainsaws-and-outdoor-power-equipment.177392/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-cs300-40v-cordless-chainsaw.286385/
https://www.arboristsite.com/commun...20v-lithium-cordless-battery-chainsaw.310665/
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/echo-58-volt-cordless-chainsaw.277864/
Also EGO, Greenworks, etc.

Where in WA are you? I'm not far over the border in OR and heading that way in the next few weeks. I have the Kobalt/Greenworks 80v you're welcome to run if we can make it work.

Edit: Philbert makes a great point. I bought the Kobalt saw because I was invested in the system. Have the mower, blower, and string trimmer too. None of it is pro level, but very highly recommended for homeowner use.

Where in WA are you? I'm not far over the border in OR and heading that way in the next few weeks. I have the Kobalt/Greenworks 80v you're welcome to run if we can make it work.

Edit: Philbert makes a great point. I bought the Kobalt saw because I was invested in the system. Have the mower, blower, and string trimmer too. None of it is pro level, but very highly recommended for homeowner use.

Thanks, I'm way up in Spokane, I'll stop by Lowes and look at one though.

Well I decided that I'd try a MSA220 so I looked at the local dealer list for a Stihl saw shop where I could trade in a saw. I see that all the saw shops have been replaced by hardware stores, some of which don't even sell parts or do service work, I don't think any of them are likely to sell used saws. I doubt any of them would be interested in trading, or even see any value in older saws like my original 10mm 044. Sigh.

I have hefted a couple of rechargeable saws. The Echo was really heavy and balanced funny. The other one, which I ran, was also funny feeling, but not so heavy. Can't remember what brand it was..it was green.

I betcha the EGO is as good or better than any of them.

they are all pretty yucky, as chainsaws go, imo. One day maybe not, but they have a long way to go.

Just did a little searching for some real tests....there are a zillion options. Maybe there's a good one out there?

i doubt very much that the Stihl is the good one, especially considering the overpriced-ness (word? Ha!)of the Stihl battery stuff.

I just bought an EGO rechargeable string trimmer as I was sick of my Stihl FS55. It ran fine, I just hated (HATED) the ergonomics, so I gave it to my son. He wanted it last year when I gave him a poulan that he couldn't keep running...hmmm.

Anyway, so far I am fairly impressed with the EGO, although having only one battery sucks. I could have bought a little gas trimmer for the same money...hmmm.

An Echo cs352 is lighter than the Dolmar 421, I had one, I have the Makita version of the 421,
it’s a good bit heavier, and the Echo pulls over easier, I know because my bad elbow told me so.

However, the Makita is way more powerful, depends on what you want to do.

Makita also make a battery saw, and they know where electronics belong, unlike Stihl
who are not in the electric motor game for long.

My 36v Makita works great for around the house small stuff and for up to 10" firewood. I rarely use a small gas saw unless its a tophandle or polesaw.

Latest posts

Back