couple of 288 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ran3465

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a great condition 288 and tore it down to go through it, Im gonna leave the base gasket out and use sealant. Question is on saw with impulse ports from crankcase to cylinder, how does one insure that sealant does not get squezzed into the impulse port? Also, What would cause bar oil to weep from oil tank breather? And finally those of you with 288's is it beneficial to change out the AV springs to "hard" rubber? The saw was only used 3 times before I bought it and the springs feel pretty soft, I can only imagine what it will be like with a longer bar on it

I don't like to use only sealant, I made a base gasket out of a manilla envelope that works great! It's only .010 thick and it bumped compression about 10psi from the stock gasket.

:cheers:
Mike

Permatex ultra black and keep it away from the impulse port. Replace the breather. and finally Can you even get hard rubber av for the 288?:cheers:

I think the prefered sealant is Three-bond 1194...

DSCN2249.jpg

Mike

I find more broken 288's springs on the saws that I bought and replaced them with hard rubber mounts ........Only springs on any of mine are the front spike spring ......................

Mine are all rubber except the big spring in the front. All springs would help smooth things out a little I guess, I don't really have any complaints with the rubber though. The 6401 Makita I had always felt a little "limp" but it was smooth.

Mike

Mine are all rubber except the big spring in the front. All springs would help smooth things out a little I guess, I don't really have any complaints with the rubber though. The 6401 Makita I had always felt a little "limp" but it was smooth.

Mike

Mike, please dont say the word "limp" in open forum.:rock:

[QUOTE

][/QUOTE]

Im gonna have to try that. I see you put 2 in the very front mounts, mine doesent have anything in that location. Does the crank case bolt to those or does it just add support in addition the large front spring?

I find more broken 288's springs on the saws that I bought and replaced them with hard rubber mounts ........Only springs on any of mine are the front spike spring ......................

Wish I would have known that, but I have only ran across 1 288 and it had the rubber, but I thought the springs would be stouter. Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks guys, now im gonna have to order 6 new rubber av mounts. I still dont understand the oil tank breather. I pulled it and it looked fine, but by design how do they allow air in without seeping some oil? Also, anyone have a nice used full wrap for a 288?

Last edited:
Back