Craigslist finds...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just missed a 660 for $200 yesterday. Lady took it on trade and wanted it gone. Sad about missing that one
I see stuff all the time up here in maine.
I was led to AS because I got ripped off on a cl deal on a 357xp, the members helped me get my money back but I have sworn off craigslist.
I wince when a clean 262 or 254 shows up but remembering my previous upset helps me to move on by...
Russ

I just recently started buying chainsaws. Nearly all of them have been Craigslist finds.

Older Craftsman and Stihl 026: $25 each as part of a package of three items for $75. I refurbed the Craftsman, and am about to sell it to a co-worker for $75 to recoup my entire investment. As I see it, that makes for a free Stihl 026 :)

Stihl 011AVT, in near mint condition. Came from the original owner with a hard case, original manual and four chains for $60. It's probably my favorite saw right now because of how light and compact it is, plus the 41cc engine is a fun little ripper.

Stihl 290, 362 and 046(parts saw) for $225 as a package. The 290 and 362 run perfectly, and are in fantastic condition. The 046 is not, but that's about to get fixed via a rebuild and port work.

I watch CL daily, because I'M NOT SICK DAMNIT.

I just recently started buying chainsaws. Nearly all of them have been Craigslist finds.

Older Craftsman and Stihl 026: $25 each as part of a package of three items for $75. I refurbed the Craftsman, and am about to sell it to a co-worker for $75 to recoup my entire investment. As I see it, that makes for a free Stihl 026 :)

Stihl 011AVT, in near mint condition. Came from the original owner with a hard case, original manual and four chains for $60. It's probably my favorite saw right now because of how light and compact it is, plus the 41cc engine is a fun little ripper.

Stihl 290, 362 and 046(parts saw) for $225 as a package. The 290 and 362 run perfectly, and are in fantastic condition. The 046 is not, but that's about to get fixed via a rebuild and port work.

I watch CL daily, because I'M NOT SICK DAMNIT.

Nice finds! All well and good if you are handy and can work on saws. I am not that guy... I cut 7-9 cords a year for me and help dad cut another 5. Beyond basic maintainence I take it to the shop. So if I buy used it needs to be in great shape or I end up on the losing end.
I do really well buying used guns but saws are pretty mysterious to me.

Russ

Not from C List, but I traded an Artic 460 for $200 and a cord of poplar/birch... basically cost me about $300 for it if I factor in the fuel I used to process and deliver it.

I might be way off on this but I've seen a few posts on here about building kit saws that look to me to be identical to a Stihl. Can you think of anything I should look for to confirm it isn't a kit saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a valid concern. I don't think that's a clone though. They look just off enough that it's pretty easy to tell.

I might be way off on this but I've seen a few posts on here about building kit saws that look to me to be identical to a Stihl. Can you think of anything I should look for to confirm it isn't a kit saw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Chinese kit saws don't have Stihl on the top plastics and starter side. They also don't have the UL stickers or the manufacturer stickers on the handle or chainbreak. Now someone could replace an OEM cylinder and piston with a Chinese one if it's been rebuilt but they should tell you what set they used if it was rebuilt.

Back