damaged piston/cylinder? husqvarna 254xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So. Could the carb be cleaned with only compressed air, leaving the cleaner out? Or is the cleaner the main part of that operation?

well problem is, the tools+parts will cost more than a new similar saw.
Unless I can stop here where I am, and hope the cleaning will do it. I took off everything, but the crankshaft and the part where you pull the entire thing in 2 pieces.
I am guessing thats the most important part!? :D

A similar new (brand new saw) is probs the likes of a 550xp or 555 I am guessing... Those are some expensive tools :surprised3:

I think the 254xp pound for pound punches with the newbies. It's tough as old boots, looks retro cool. Weighs sod all, is small, big in power and dead reliable. With a muffler mod, base delete and intake/filter mod this saw rips! And the rubber AV isn't as bad as some make out.

The sad thing is I sold mine.. But ended up with a 372xp instead. Go figure, still like the 254 more.

A similar new (brand new saw) is probs the likes of a 550xp or 555 I am guessing... Those are some expensive tools :surprised3:

I think the 254xp pound for pound punches with the newbies. It's tough as old boots, looks retro cool. Weighs sod all, is small, big in power and dead reliable. With a muffler mod, base delete and intake/filter mod this saw rips! And the rubber AV isn't as bad as some make out.

The sad thing is I sold mine.. But ended up with a 372xp instead. Go figure, still like the 254 more.

Sounds great! glad I decided to start working on it!
Owe it all to the people in this thread!

Next update will be the Cylinder cleanup, soon.
Then a bit of waiting for the parts to arrive :)

I'll try and find an old thread of mine on modding the muffler and filter neck plus a base delete. The muffler and filter are restricted and after mods helped the thing breath a lot easier for all those easy gains that are perfect for a work saw. If I remember correctly the 254/154 worked well without the cylinder gasket. I traced the old one on some coke can and cut/knifed a new one. This gave me 0.022" squish which is nice and safe yet gives loads more compression.

update.

First seal in.
Does it look acceptable?
I notice a small difference in one side of the seal, like 1/2mm or less higher/lower than the opposite, will it matter?

WP_20170606_18_42_29_Pro.jpg WP_20170606_18_42_29_Pro.jpg WP_20170606_18_42_24_Pro.jpg WP_20170606_18_42_08_Pro.jpg WP_20170606_18_42_03_Pro.jpg

if anyone is reading the thread, I am looking for a spike/Felling dog for this saw, (Husqwarna 254xp)....it didn't come with one, so need to find one.
Ill pay for shipment and item :)

If you don't get a response here, post your request in the Tradin' Post on this site. Those felling spikes were on a few different saws and aren't very hard to find.

Hum... Smooth side facing up.. Or down? WP_20170607_16_25_25_Pro.jpg WP_20170607_16_25_37_Pro.jpg

Did watch vid. Shows you dropping it Mattyo ☺ cant tell which side is facing where though.

@malk315

Erik ....I forget lol...

Ribbed side down right?

Yes! The spirals go down towards the oiler. May need to tap that washer so it seats into the lip that is there and is mostly flush with that lip. Then I believe it's clutch needle bearing will go against smooth side of that spiral washer, put the rim sprocket on the clutch drum and install clutch drum on to the needle bearing. Put some grease on the needle bearing. Then spin the clutch on and you are ready to install bar and chain! If it's a spur sprocket it may be integrated with the clutch drum? On 262's it's a rim sprocket from the factory.

Good luck and enjoy!

Latest posts

Back