Dangerous Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here I am doing a trim, and yes, I have my gaffs on. There are exceptions to the rule, and this tree was one. Please note how lightfooted I am with them. Gaffs don't need to damage the tree. I can balance on the points without breaking through the Cambium Layer. Note how much time I don't use them, just hanging off my rope or wrapping around when I could easily drive them into the tree for a better hold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c33XgrUL6OE

There are situations where I will use my gaffs on a tree that stays. It's a judgement call I'll make if I feel my safety is involved, but when I do I go into my lightfooted mode. Flame me for this if you want, but that's how I roll when I feel I need to.

But all that aside, do you guys feel this tree qualifies for the Dangerous Tree thread? Or was that just a piece of cake?

Well being a silver maple and knowing they are weak modulous of rupture it qualifies but it is also cake if that makes sense. Anyone doing the work for a number of years can easily handle that tree. jmo.

Well being a silver maple and knowing they are weak modulous of rupture it qualifies but it is also cake if that makes sense. Anyone doing the work for a number of years can easily handle that tree. jmo.

disclaimer: my eyes are terrible so it may be a different tree but its form and bark resembles soft maple!:)

disclaimer: my eyes are terrible so it may be a different tree but its form and bark resembles soft maple!:)

You're right Rope, that was a silver maple. Coulda been done safely and efficiently without spikes though. There were no targets in the drop zone that I could see. Just climb and cut, easy peasy. I could see using spikes on a silver maple if it necessitated it though.

This was cake to me totally hollow though!

010.jpg

There are a lot of people on these forums that like to criticize others' videos. They are loud, nasty and often extremely ignorant. Please don't take this as that type of criticism.

I think video is a great way to demonstrate techniques and a great learning tool. I have learned a lot by looking at slow motion replays. I don't want to sound like a video basher here. I think its commendable to put yourself out there on video and also have found it quite difficult to show pruning work on trees that are in leaf.

Hope you take the following as constructive criticism, given with your best interest in mind. Repeatedly in the first video and again in the second is your improper body postitioning relative to the cuts. A good climber will reach when he has to or trade off body postioning for saving some time, when safety is not comprosmised. That is NOT at all what you were doing. You were set up really badly needlessly, and did it time and time again. It looks like you're new to climbing.

My teacher put it like this: making a cut is like standing at the plate, ready for the pitch. You want perfect positioning. Even though I one hand from time to time (and have been criticized for it, which is fine), I don't do it needlessly, nor put my self in danger with it. In the first video you were reaching down for the one handed cuts, which may be awkward, but is not terribly dangerous. The saw is far enough away from you and your climbing line to present little danger. Still, there was no reason for it as you could have easily made those cuts with both hands on the saw with good body positioning.

The second video at about 1:20, you make a couple one-handed high cuts, with the saw very close ot your face, while you hold onto the tree with the second hand. THAT IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS MOVE. And there was no reason for it. Especially with the spikes on (which is whole other subject), you should have been easily able to get ins a good balalnced position and have two free hands on the saw.

No one wants to see you get hurt.. You have guts to be taking up tree work at your age. Hopefully you'll be willing to learn the climbing techniques used to properly prune tree. Best thing for you to do is hire a first class contract climber, (for the big work) that is willing to teach you his stuff. Make sure to take some video of him. Good luck with it.

Easy can be Dangerous ...

Danger and difficulty most often go hand in hand, but sometimes the easiest can also be the most dangerous. The first tree was actually relatively easy, straight drops and no roping except the pull over.

The Widow-Maker was scary, first because until I got up to the break, I couldn't be sure it wouldn't finish it's break and slide down taking me out on the way. Once above that, the weight if the WM was all on the only branch I had to get up to where I could free it, and that branch was awfully skinny. It was a pretty heavy limb and I didn't want it to fold the section I was tied to over. Adding my weight to it didn't help.

Thank You for the good advice and constructive critique ...

... Best thing for you to do is hire a first class contract climber, (for the big work) that is willing to teach you his stuff. Make sure to take some video of him. Good luck with it.

Other than my first Mentor who was extremely old school I am largely self taught and obviously have developed bad habits which you have so generously pointed out.

I am an Old Dog but I can adapt to new tricks, especially if they are safety related. I will take your suggestions to heart and work on my positioning and saw work.

You freakin old timers get all the chicks, trust me I know. In fact I know everything! Like you climbing that tree for a couple of hundred. I could tell the numbers were going to be running high with what you have going on.
The one thing that I didn't think was good was the fact that you said you were a little scared to do it and we all know why. What I mean is that when an experianced arborist like yourself says he was scared and we can see why then we wonder. BUT! its not like we haven't been there too so #### it buddy.
Now another thing is IXT yapping like he would have dropped it .

And "Benny" opens his mouth!! No lil man, I would of put the towbehind in there & been done in a 1/2 hour like I said!!!! maybe those cookies & cakes you made gave you a sugar buzz :)

As far as cherry trees being "strong" I dont know about that?? especially one compromised like that!! some of the worst storm damage trees involve cherries! I will be cutting a very large white oak which fell over due to large amounts of rain we got a couple weeks ago...I initially looked at this beast while still standing & it was magnificent.

BUT....it fell & went throught the HO`s garage crushing his brand new Audi...point is you`re taking a chance not worth it!! you might think you have balls bigger than brains........dont worry, one day you will have something that shoulda went like clock work put you in your place & then your brains & balls will look the same!

I hear about guys who think they have 40 yrs exp. cuz they are counting cutting firewood & working with some one, but.... really they have only 2-3yrs climbing experience (not that this is the case here with AA). what really is sad is how many guys have a hand full of tools, pickup truck or worse yet a van!! maybe a trailer with a compact loader & think they`re a tree service??? sadder even yet.....the stats in the TCIA magazine are full of just these types!!

Everyone Be Safe & Take Care

LXT.............

And "Benny" opens his mouth!! No lil man, I would of put the towbehind in there & been done in a 1/2 hour like I said!!!! maybe those cookies & cakes you made gave you a sugar buzz :)

As far as cherry trees being "strong" I dont know about that?? especially one compromised like that!! some of the worst storm damage trees involve cherries! I will be cutting a very large white oak which fell over due to large amounts of rain we got a couple weeks ago...I initially looked at this beast while still standing & it was magnificent.

BUT....it fell & went throught the HO`s garage crushing his brand new Audi...point is you`re taking a chance not worth it!! you might think you have balls bigger than brains........dont worry, one day you will have something that shoulda went like clock work put you in your place & then your brains & balls will look the same!

I hear about guys who think they have 40 yrs exp. cuz they are counting cutting firewood & working with some one, but.... really they have only 2-3yrs climbing experience (not that this is the case here with AA). what really is sad is how many guys have a hand full of tools, pickup truck or worse yet a van!! maybe a trailer with a compact loader & think they`re a tree service??? sadder even yet.....the stats in the TCIA magazine are full of just these types!!

Everyone Be Safe & Take Care

LXT.............

Oh yeah, ya got that lift. And I think a 4x4 van is a great truck to work out of. I like you IXT ,though you seem to have this notion of what a tree service is supposed to be but there was nothing even writen in stone. That's one of the glories of this work; you can be want you want to be... as long as you know what it is you want to be.

And I apologize ( even though its not required) about the " yapping" statement IXT. From you I should have realized it was more than a brag.
Truly there is no way a high skilled climber would have scaled that without taking more pre-cautionary steps. I am not sure a lift could be gotten in. Obviously things are much stronger than we believe them to be but that is no reason not to play safe which a highly skilled climber would have done.

Oh yeah, ya got that lift. And I think a 4x4 van is a great truck to work out of. I like you IXT ,though you seem to have this notion of what a tree service is supposed to be but there was nothing even writen in stone. That's one of the glories of this work; you can be want you want to be... as long as you know what it is you want to be.

And besides being a hunk of junk a 4x4 astro van is bad to the bone! I'd lift it a little of course.

It's the perhaps, a former glory of being an American. It's what I have done. I decided what I wanted to be and embarked on attaining that goal.

I'm clearly outclassed here by the certifiable "Arborists" here but I've done the best I can with the limited resources I've had.

With some notable exceptions, including you treemandan, this forum uniquely stands out among others that can not be named here, as a biker gang or maybe wolfpack of members who are are here only for the kill.

I truly came here to learn, not to fight, but the signal to noise level here is so dominated by the "noise" that I don't really know if I can hang.

I do have an attitude, but that's what has made me what I am. I know that same attitude can cause personality conflicts among certain individuals, usually those that have similar "attitudes" so I'm not condemning anybody.

I can see I'm already being stalked by at least one member who is near me. Hey Dude, you have nothing to worry about from me. I get the very strong feeling that my quotes will always be higher, and you can always make the case for your staff of certified Arborists. It's America, compete on your strengths, not by trying to eliminate your competitors.

I am looking for a good climber, one that I can learn from, and it would be great if he was certified by the ITCA, but that alone won't make him good in my eyes.

And I like my AWD Safari, in fact I've got another one just like it that was both my dump truck and bucket truck for too many years.

I just came back from Mt. Lebanon from a job quote. When I pulled up to the address there was a Davy Tree bucket/dumper truck pulling a chipper the likes of which I can only dream about (my Mitts & Merrill is over 30 years old) and looked at the customer's Arborvitae, which I tend to call a Hemlock if they are taller than the house. The customer has a written quote from them and I gave him my best price ($350) for a very simple job (especially if you have a bucket truck).

I was able to quote that low because I am working tomorrow with a full crew, dump and chipper, less than one mile away. I can do that job alone while my crew has lunch. I based that price on the fact that I will be there tomorrow. After tomorrow the price goes to $400. We'll see how that goes.

Oh, and before I forget, Happy Holidays and Safe Wishes to all here.

Last edited:
AA I am certain you can learn in here. It takes thick skin though, as the ones in the know have to be found out. In the event you learn to roll with the punches and see where your abilities lack, then learning is gained. I learned from line clearing and then residential and commercial and though may not be the best, I don't feel one bit intimidated to climb with them. I at times, do feel intimidated in the finer points of phc but that is my goal so I keep getting embarrassed by my peers and learning all I can so's in a few years I can be a smart ass lol. No , really, so; I will be better prepared to handle the finer aspects of my chosen profession and learn that nasty removals, though rewarding, are only the tip of the ice berg. That remedy of soil compaction ,mulching and fine topiary work, can be even more rewarding and that I've more to learn than to say. I still like to say things at times though lol:cheers:

Last edited:
I know nothinnng ...

... the ones in the know have to be found out...

And although I have been found out as knowing probably 10% of what many of the lifelong tree work professionals here know. But still 1000% of what the average HO knows about tree work, I still have a loyal customer base and many repeat calls and even more referals.

To many, if not most, here I am a "Hack" with not much more than self taught methods and procedures. But please keep in mind that my customers love me and my success is about 90% "Word of Mouth" I don't cheat people, I am honest with them*, and I give great clean-up!

*But:

When I say "Pittsburgh's Premier Tree Service" It's marketspeak for premium service at premium prices. It's like "take advantage of my low Winter rates" actually means I'm more expensive in the Winter 'cause it's cold as Heck out. But the rates are low for Winter rates.

Like I said before, I have a really good Marketing background. It's how it is out there, ever watch a commercial?

I know many here will call Bullpucky on this, but here is a list of actual customer comments about work I have done for them. I've already linked to the first comment published on the web, but here are the others as well:

Jessica Sutton (I left her full name since I already reveled it by posting the link to it earlier, the rest I just left their last initial)
Pittsburgh PA 15235

Aerial Arborist is the best! I read about Doug here, then got in contact with him on his website form, and he responded promptly to setup a time to come out for an estimate… As for the work itself, well, it was awesome! I'd recommend everyone stay and watch Doug work, not because he needs supervision but rather because he is so good at his job - it's just fun to watch. He climbs the tree with the chainsaw and makes it look so easy. He is really a tree artist… He was fast and made the trees look great. They cut down the wood into fireplace sized pieces and neatly stacked it along my driveway. They cleaned and raked my yard and honestly left it in better condition than when they came… hire Doug. You'll be happy.

Mark W.
Leetsdale PA 15056

All work was done in a safe and professional manner with proper tie-offs when up in the tree. Cleaned up everything. Even removed a pile of branches I was going to put out tonight for the trash pickup tomorrow! We are very pleased.

Michael G.
Carnegie PA 15106

Excellent! Doug and his workers were very fast and thorough. Brush piles were completely gone... not even a stick left behind! Clean up was impeccable! I work regularly with contractors through my business and I was very happy with my experience. I know what people charge for their time and I thought Doug was very reasonably priced. Would hire again. He'll be my "tree guy" from now on.

Tod M.
Pittsburgh PA 15241

I just wanted to say I was impressed with Aerial Arborist Tree Service because Doug was very professional and responded promptly. He has a great website for communicating with him. I would highly recommend him to anybody for tree work.

Christopher M.
Coraopolis PA 15108

The work was done very professionally--the skill displayed when Doug was maneuvering around the tree and making cuts with his chainsaw while suspended from the crane was impressive! Doug removed the tree from my property with his dump truck and did a good job with the cleanup in spite of the snowy conditions. I wouldn't hesitate to call Aerial Arborist again if I am in need of tree removal

Virginia W.
Pittsburgh PA 15234

Doug gave me an estimate which included a senior citizen's discount... His price was about what I expected to pay. He called and set up a time and day to do the work. He and his helper arrived on time, cut down the tree, and hauled away all the branches and debris. They were professional and efficient, and I would definitely use them again.

Gamble B.
Clinton PA 15026

This Man Is The ONE to HIRE !!! No Doubts !!! He Cares & It Shows. He is Meticulous & Safe. Does What He says he will Do & Then Some.His Price Was Excellent Also. I recommend him to my friends & neighbors & any one who reads this !!! When We save some money; we will have Doug do some more work for Us. Also, Check out His Website: It Is AWESOME !!!

Last edited:
Back