Dealer says 441 M-Tronics are junk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His words were, "All the loggers hate them, and they've been nothing but trouble." He said they would rev up and down uncontrollably, and not consistently, just here and there. He also said they were having other issues, like not wanting to start.:(

Really sounds more like the loggers just don't like them. IMHO this sounds similar to what the loggers were saying about the standard 441, all of which was proven to be untrue. Look I respect loggers and what they do, but lets be honest here, most of them didn't make it out of high school. Maybe I'm the stupid one here, wouldn't be the first time.:msp_biggrin:

It seems there was someone who was having trouble getting a 441 to tune at higher elevations.

I can't remember how long ago, but I want to say it's been at least 3 years since I read that thread.

Anyone else recall what what going on there?

I'm pretty sure it was BS as we never heard anything more about the issue.

I have run a 576A/T for 2 months now and it's been a dream so far, but I want to put a lot more time on it before I start promoting it. We cut between 500 to 2500 feet so altitude doesn't come into play. When the saw is running out of gas it doesn't lean out and pick up revs like conventional carb does that alone tells me this thing really works. Just like are forefathers using crosscut saws cast an evil eye on those mechanical contraptions they call chainsaws there is change coming and we are powerless to stop it.

Mingo The Husky AT saws have been out for a long time now, something like 5 years. The M-tronic 441's have been on the market in other countries for a few years as well, that was Stihl's test market.

Last edited:
The CM is designed to run at all elevations. It should not be a factor. What did Stihl have to say about the saws that were sent back?

Mingo The Husky AT saws have been out for a long time now, something like 5 years. The M-tronic 441's have been on the market in other countries for a few years as well, that saw Stihl's test market.

That's good to know. There aren't many guys around here using them. the loggers I talk to are wary of the new technology. I was myself the Husky regional rep talked me into it he's from my town I figured I could cry to him if I had problems. So far so good it's a real nice saw to run but time will tell.

If Stihl is taking the saws back there must be a problem, I'm sure zee Germans will get to zee bottom of it. Nothing at all wrong with concept, about time proven tech got added to saws.

Might be an elevation thing or it might be the rocks in the area putting out a magnetic field or it might be bigfoot sneaking out and messing with the saws. (HILLBILLYREDNEC)

I'm guessing in time the loggers are going to love these saws. They are a step up and a step forward. I don't know what techs will think of them, can't see how these saws are going to help them out long term.

Mr. HE:cool:

Adding electronics to a saw is a sin :msp_ohmy:If aint broke why fix something that works:msp_thumbup:

So you are saying all saws should have points? While you may not have been born in the 1960's, those of us that were around during that time prefer the simplicity of electronic ignition.

The CM is designed to run at all elevations. It should not be a factor. What did Stihl have to say about the saws that were sent back?

The conversation didn't get that deep. . . He said Stihl took them back, and were going to investigate the issues.

I would have talked to him more about it, but about 4 customers walked in and they had to help them out.

This Dealer is one of the few in the country that get Beta saws. . . They had a 441 to test, way before they were available to the public. IIRC, it didn't even have finished plastics, etc. . . It was truly a test saw (super top secret :laugh:).

I also asked what he'd heard about the 661, and he said they hadn't heard a peep, and haven't been offered a test saw.

Really sounds more like the loggers just don't like them. IMHO this sounds similar to what the loggers were saying about the standard 441, all of which was proven to be untrue. Look I respect loggers and what they do, but lets be honest here, most of them didn't make it out of high school. Maybe I'm the stupid one here, wouldn't be the first time.:msp_biggrin:

That'd get ya an asswhoopin' in the Logging Forum, and any country bar in these parts. ;)

Most loggers aren't brain surgeons, but the logging profession is full of folks with higher education, and a lot with fancy college degrees. Let alone, the education of life -- it's all college dude -- if you're paying money to learn stuff, it's like tuition.

Ya don't have to be too smart to realize your saw is surging up and down, and running like crap.

That'd get ya an asswhoopin' in the Logging Forum, and any country bar in these parts. ;)

Most loggers aren't brain surgeons, but the logging profession is full of folks with higher education, and a lot with fancy college degrees. Let alone, the education of life -- it's all college dude -- if you're paying money to learn stuff, it's like tuition.

Ya don't have to be too smart to realize your saw is surging up and down, and running like crap.

Loggers were in the woods cutting while they were home cutting cookies and going to school I know who I would want helping me on a tree removal!:msp_smile::rock::clap:

I don't know a single HS dropout in logging and about a third of the guys I know finished college, including one guy who was a doctor but gave it up because he didn't like dealing with sick people.

Mr. HE:cool:

That was a stupid statement dude.

The two threads going on the carbtronic thing are somewhat disconcerting.

Does one fire sale all the old clunker dunker, manual carb saws to buy fancy schmancy new carbytronic ones, or, does once fight off all the new technogizmos?

I guess I'll run what I brung until it chokes, or sells, and I can try out a new carbotronicwidget.

Last edited:
some of us loggers may have a little more education than one would think. whether it be from the school system or the school of hard knocks. myself i have a few semesters of college and a lot of years of hard knocks. andy is casting a very broad net that a lot of guys in the industry just wont appreciate.

I just ran one today, put its first 1.5 tank through it, bucking up a landing and I'm not going back to a regular carb on anything. Karen likes it better than the modded 361 that she runs, and its easier to start. I wish I would have counted the cuts that I made, because it sure cut a lot of wood for only 1.5 tanks. But to be honest I made about 8-10 cuts with its stock muffler, and then swapped a Modded Muffler in place of the stock one. If I don't cut firewood for dad's place tomorrow, I will go fell some trees with it and see how that goes, but I'd say I'm all in at this point. The 441 chasis has proven itself to me, logging for 3-4 years in modded form, the only difference in the MTronics model, is well Mtronics.

I never really tuned the saws before and now I still don't have to, but now I know they will always be in perfect tune, getting great fuel mileage and always pulling as hard in the cut as is possible with regards to the tuning ability. I just have to keep the tanks full and the chain sharp. The little man in the MTronics does the rest. This saw starts as easy or easier than a 260, and always comes back to a perfect slow idle.

Later,

Sam

I never really tuned the saws before and now I still don't have to, but now I know they will always be in perfect tune, getting great fuel mileage and always pulling as hard in the cut as is possible with regards to the tuning ability. I just have to keep the tanks full and the chain sharp.

Later,

Sam

No argument there. 441 is insane on how well it does on fuel. Mine impressed me, and the power impressed me. The weight and weak spring AV did not. I like my 044 better. Not a bad saw at all, just not my optimum saw.

Latest posts

Back