Decision, decisions... 346XP vs. 5105/5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallguys

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Thought that I'd open pandora's box here and invite the Husky faithful to try and persuade me on the virtues of the 346XP. It appears that I can get one out of the US for just a wee bit more than the Dolmar is here in Canada. The downside, of course there has to be one, is that I do not believe that Husqvarna Canada would honour any warranty so I'd be left out to dry as it were, if anything were to go awry.

I'd also love to hear from the Dolmar camp to keep me from crossing to the dark side. I do like the Dolmar "feel" but other than what are your experiences regarding the strength of the Dolmar 5105 or 5100s. Of course, the Dolmar would be purchased through a local dealer so any service issues would be looked after.

My thanks and a big thumbs up to everyone contributing! :msp_thumbsup:

I have both - the main differences are that the Husky accellerate much faster (better "trigger response"), and handles much better in the woods. :msp_wink:

I had a Husky 346xpOE and a 350, still have the 350, bought a 5100s and fell in love with it! Powerfull enough to use as a felling and bucking saw, light enough you can limb and run it long times and as I am a larger fellow, it fits my hands and body better.

If you like the feel of the dolmar I don't know if you'd like the 346. The 346 might accelerate faster but to me that's the only plus. I think the 346 doesn't have the torque of a dolmar. I'm not a 346 fan. I have owned a 5105 and run 3 346s from different buiders and used one 2 tanks messing around.

I have both, and think both are top notch saws. Try to run one of each first, because they definatley feel different. You cant go wrong either way.

The downside, of course there has to be one, is that I do not believe that Husqvarna Canada would honour any warranty so I'd be left out to dry as it were, if anything were to go awry.:msp_thumbsup:

I really dont understand guys getting hung up on a warranty of a $500 pro saw. The largest expense most guys will ever have is taking a wife, and there sure aint no warranty on them!!!

Can't speak about the 5105 haven't run one, but the 346xpne is as good as your going to find in the 50cc class. With thousands of them being sold your always going to be able to find service and support.
In my area that is the only negative about Dolmars, if you need a part quick your sol. Their are good Dolmar sponsors on here that can ship parts, but with Huskies vast dealer network you should find what you need just about anywhere. Between the two saws listed I'd choose the 346xp hands down.

Not sure what you're looking for here this has been hashed out over and over. Most will take the 346 over the 5100, I have both and the 346 is the better saw, end of story... I do like the 5100, but the 346 is simply a better engineered saw in almost every way.

Not sure what you're looking for here this has been hashed out over and over. Most will take the 346 over the 5100, I have both and the 346 is the better saw, end of story... I do like the 5100, but the 346 is simply a better engineered saw in almost every way.
Especially looking for opinions from those who have used both. Now in what way is the 346 so much better? I have found here on AS that it revs up quicker and is 1/2 pound lighter, narrower too. It has an outboard clutch, even though this should be a negative from what I have read. Is that it then?

I've compared Dolmar and Stihl and for the most part they feel very similar to me. Now that the MS261 has bulked up somewhat it feels very much like my PS-510.

Anyway, I am trying to get at the "why" of what you guys who run the 346XP like about them.

Especially looking for opinions from those who have used both. Now in what way is the 346 so much better? I have found here on AS that it revs up quicker and is 1/2 pound lighter, narrower too. It has an outboard clutch, even though this should be a negative from what I have read. Is that it then?

I've compared Dolmar and Stihl and for the most part they feel very similar to me. Now that the MS261 has bulked up somewhat it feels very much like my PS-510.

Anyway, I am trying to get at the "why" of what you guys who run the 346XP like about them.

You've listed many of the positives already, but like I said it's put together better, the engineering is simply better. With air injection the filtration on the 346 is far better as well. The outboard clutch is a plus IMHO, it keeps the heat away from the saw, helps balance, and keeps the load on the crank closer to the bearings.

The outboard clutch is a plus IMHO, it keeps the heat away from the saw, helps balance, and keeps the load on the crank closer to the bearings.

Now I'm a bit confused as I've always interpreted that the inboard clutch was the latest and greatest. What you say makes sense, but then why are so many newer designs going with the inboard? My older Makita DCS520 (Dolmar PS-52) has the outboard type. Don't even the larger XP saws have an inboard clutch?

Andyshine summed it up very well. I will add that I've been using a 346xp fairly hard since January of 2001 and have not had any major problems. Just 3 fuel lines and 2 clutch springs.

I also agree with Andy about the outboard clutch and his reasons. Nothing wrong with inboard, I just like outboard better.

:cheers:

Now I'm a bit confused as I've always interpreted that the inboard clutch was the latest and greatest. What you say makes sense, but then why are so many newer designs going with the inboard? My older Makita DCS520 (Dolmar PS-52) has the outboard type. Don't even the larger XP saws have an inboard clutch?

Why are inboard clutches used? For most is makes changing out the clutch drum and sprocket easier, all you need is a screwdriver, it also keeps the clutch area cleaner and smoother. Inboard clutches do have an up side, but from a technical and mechanical standpoint outboard is better.

Last edited:
Inboard clutches do have an up side, but from a technical and mechanical standpoint outboard is better.

Good to know, and thank you for that. :msp_thumbup: This is the kind of info and opinions I was hoping to get at... rather than the usual "Stihl is best, ra-ra-ra" and "Husky is better", etc...

Good to know, and thank you for that. :msp_thumbup: This is the kind of info and opinions I was hoping to get at... rather than the usual "Stihl is best, ra-ra-ra" and "Husky is better", etc...

I've taken apart pretty much all of the modern 50cc saws. All of them are fine saws, but the 346 is simple, reliable, strong and well made, it's the standard all other 50cc saws try and live up to.

Latest posts

Back