Decision, decisions... 346XP vs. 5105/5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These threads always remind me of this....

<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rmun8GK6o2c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rmun8GK6o2c?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

One thing I really like about the 5100 is if your runnin a .325 bar you can swap between 7-8 pin rims dependin on if you need speed or power.,You can do it in 3 mins or less sittin on the stump.

One thing I really like about the 5100 is if your runnin a .325 bar you can swap between 7-8 pin rims dependin on if you need speed or power.,You can do it in 3 mins or less sittin on the stump.
There's a plus for inboard clutches.

I have 346OE and the 5100 and hate to say it but prefer the 5100...just happens to be the only Dolmar I own w/ a stable full of Husky's and Partners. I'd compare it more to my 254XP than my 346XP. It's a toss up on what saw I grab the 254 or the 5100. Strictly personal preference I think they are both great saws, I do prefer the narrow 346 when I'm in a big top handles a bit better.
Found a 5105 for my brother in law after he ran a few of my Husky's and the 5100 and he just loves it. I had to laugh when he told me about his friend bringing over a Stihl 290 and the friend told him he should really think about upgrading to a Stihl. They put them in the wood and his friend was humbled a bit...said the 5105 might be a keeper. Of course I had opened up the muffler on brother in laws saw so he had whipped him pretty handily.

I had to laugh when he told me about his friend bringing over a Stihl 290 and the friend told him he should really think about upgrading to a Stihl. They put them in the wood and his friend was humbled a bit...
My buddy has had his 290 forever and it's been a real work horse for him. Good saw. No problems whatsoever.
He asked to try my 5100s one day when we were cutting. He said, "Hmmm. Maybe it's time I upgraded."

rotating weight or actuall weight? were talkin ounces not pounds and the distance amounts to something closers to grams.Theres a good chance were pickin fly#### out of pepper here

Not at all, regarding handling - even the heavier and much stronger MS361 handles better than the 5100S for limbing etc. - and my Euro one has close to the same trigger responce/accelleration as the 346xp..........:givebeer::givebeer:

Btw, it is "beer day" here today! :cheers:

I would stay away from the 5100. Never owned a 5105 that is the improved version of the 5100 better air flow around the engine I am told. Do like the chain ajustment system on the 5100 .

you can ding the 5100, but the fact remains, the little devil is right there with the best from any other maker.

Not at all, regarding handling - even the heavier and much stronger MS361 handles better than the 5100S for limbing etc. - and my Euro one has close to the same trigger responce/accelleration as the 346xp..........:givebeer::givebeer:

Btw, it is "beer day" here today! :cheers:

I hear you Niko, but ain't the cancer curin 361 an inboard clutch?

So how has the 361 gotten into this conversation? As long as it is...my friends 361 has a tough time hangin w/ my muff modded 5100 in anything under 16". Matter of fact it doesn't hang with it. Sorry but I have to disagree from my standpoint I'd much rather limb w/ my 5100 than his 361.

Latest posts

Back