Decision, decisions... 346XP vs. 5105/5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep,

and I bet the 346, 261 and 5100 are so close that the only diff is the guy behind the handle (of the file) or the saw.

5100s are badd as saws

I know deep down in that inner psyche tallguys likes the red & black color scheme.
I don't hide the fact that I believe Dolmar makes a superb product. The colour scheme has grown on me as well. Having said that, I own Stihls that I consider highly but have never personally used a Husky nor do I know anyone who has. So I'm trying to gather the experiences of the AS membership and see where my journey leads to.

Cheers! :cheers:

5100S, never tried the 5105.

Kinda funny that it took Stihl 7 years to catch up,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,if they really did!

yep,

and I bet the 346, 261 and 5100 are so close that the only diff is the guy behind the handle (of the file) or the saw.

5100s are badd as saws

The 5100S is generally overrated by many US members - and what often is omitted from the story is the waaaaay too high failure rate of the engines, because of too lean carb settings from the factory to pass EPA tests, and dealers that doesn't know that they have to correct it before the sale, or at the sale.......

Thanks Troll,

I will run out and throw that little dude in the trash right now.

If you sayeth, it must be true,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,5100=JUNK!

The 5100S is generally overrated by many US members - and what often is omitted from the story is the waaaaay too high failure rate of the engines, because of too lean carb settings from the factory to pass EPA tests, and dealers that doesn't know that they have to correct it before the sale, or at the sale.......

perhaps the "euro" version you have is flawed????????????????

Thanks Troll,

I think what he was saying was that right out of the box a lot of them were coming through too lean, and needed a correction that they weren't getting. I believe he said they were underrated in the states, meaning he doesn't think they are a bad saw.

Thanks Troll,

Not junk at all - mine is fine, but I didn't dare to buy one without getting a tach at the same time - and that was early 2007. It doesn't quite cut with my 346xp, but is very close in that regard, using the same cutting attachment - but then there are accelleration and handling....

The result is that the 5100S never goes into the woods, but it gets its share of cutting logs into firewood length at the cottage, just for nostalgic reasons (it was Witchys saw).

Last edited:
I think what he was saying was that right out of the box a lot of them were coming through too lean, and needed a correction that they weren't getting. I believe he said they were underrated in the states, meaning he doesn't think they are a bad saw.
Oh, we know what Niko's sayin allright, hes been sayin it a long time.

Both are great saws. 346= higher rpm's, better throttle response, better for limbing. 5100 = more torque, better for bucking. Just my 2 cents.

I don't know, I can't bring myself to bash mine but it will never replace my 026. We get attached to our saws and dog and trucks and #### like that..

Both are great saws. 346= higher rpm's, better throttle response, better for limbing. 5100 = more torque, better for bucking. Just my 2 cents.

You see I take issue with statements that seem to be repeated over and over just because that's what everyone says. The 5100 has no torque advantage over the 346, that's simply an AS generated tall tale.

Last edited:
Shameless plug:
My local shop has a leftover 5100s .325/18" for $435 if anyone is interested.

We ran just about every 50cc saw today at the TN gtg,,, I think most everybody will agree that the 346 was king!

I think there was more to it than lean carb settings.

You see I take issue with statements that seem to be repeated over and over just because that's what everyone says. The 5100 has no torque advantage over the 346, that's simply a AS generated tall tale.

I don't find any torque difference either, but then I don't care to run a 20" bar on a 50cc saw, as I regard that as 70cc territory, because of balance.

In addition to AS hype, Dolmar.USA also played games with the power specs - or plainly lied, stating 4 hp - but guys like me did of course notise that it was 4, and not 4.0 - important difference.......:givebeer:

I think there was more to it than lean carb settings.
The 5100s I got (properly set up) from AS sponsor Cutting Edge has had no problems and has impressed many sawyers that have much more experience than myself. My whole town is Husqvarna loyal but they gave the Dolmar their approval.

Last edited:
Back