Decision, decisions... 346XP vs. 5105/5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a saying here in the midwest that says "put your money where your mouth is" and I intend to do just that. Tallguys, if you buy a new Dolmar 5105, have the dealer set it up, run 10 tanks of NON-ethanol fuel mix through it, and decide you would rather have a 346xp NE, i've got a near new 2010 346xp NE, non-cat, that has less than a dozen tanks of fuel through it that I will trade you even up, AND I'll pay the shipping on both saws. This offer good for 60 days from today. If I still have the 346 then it goes up for sale.

Since I own and use both saws on nearly a daily basis, this thread made me wonder about REAL working weight differences. So, I fueled and filled up the oil tank and weighed both my 346xp NE, and one of my 5105s. Both wear 18" bars, with the 346 having a lighter weight bar on it and lighter chain. They were weighed on a certified scale and the 346 weighed 4/10th of a pound MORE. Not a big difference, but I believe most data shows the 346 lighter than the 5105, when talking powerhead only.

We are caught up in a Ford/Chevy, Cardinals/Mets kinda scenerio that no side will ever win. While it may be entertaining, it is a no win situation.

I like them both, they are both great saws, I just happen to prefer the 5105 for my application; felling 6-12" cull trees doing timber stand improvement. I cut mostly at or just below the waist. I do very little limbing. I am not very tall, 5'8", but very broad across the shoulders. The 5105 "feels" better to me. That doesn't take a thing away from the 346.

I prefer the 5105, but the 346 is a great saw. I think I'll sell mine, but the 5105's are staying.

Good luck Tallguys, hope this hasn't just made your decision harder.

Stick to your guns Troll.

Well, something is wrong with the weighting, if you found the 5105 to be lighter!

It simply won't happen, if everything else is equal.

Good point about empty saws. It appears you're a Stihl dealer so I'll ask you. Whats the difference is with these strato engines vs. the regular ones?

The biggest differance is by going strato you stop sending so much unburnt fuel out the muffler. Remember unburnt fuel is fuel that is wasted and makes no power. Strato is a mere process of adding a laying of air on top of the fuel charge. This layer of air holds the fuel charge in the cylinder longer to burn off while the air is being exhausted first. This in turn makes more of the fuel charge burn making more power and less waste out the muffler. In simple terms a strato engine will make as much and sometimes more power on less fuel than a standard two cycle design. That results in a tank of fuel going quite abit longer explaining why a 261 will, per tank, outcut a 346 or 5100, empty saws don't cut anything nor do they ever catch up with the strato saw still running on that one tank of fuel. Remember a standard two cycle chainsaw sends as much as 25% of the fuel in the tank out the exhaust, never burnt, never made a ounce of power.

Well my old friend, one tank through the 346xp fits well with my "need" for smoke and drink brakes - so it is irrelevant in my case....:msp_smile:

Well there you is, how ya doing ole buddy. Yup your one tank will suit you just fine indeed but it doesn't change the facts on what I said, a 261 will indeed out your 346 and my 5100. There is no way either of those little gas hogs can catch up with a saw that cuts just as fast but runs alot longer on a tank of fuel. So in theroy no matter how you slice it at the end of the day more wood goes to wood heaven at the hands of the orange and white. Now I gotta read a few of your other posts and really get after ya, its been a long time since I messed with my bestest buddy,hehe

The only real advantages is a couple of minutes regarding changing sprocket rims, or taking the powerhead off a stuck bar. Regarding chains, it is just about what you are used to - the stepped bar studs that Stihl use on the 3003 mount is a larger issue than inboard vs. outboard.

The cost of the inboard is in the handling when limbing etc, that is a much more frequent situation.

You got some valid points there but there is no question on which type the public tends to like the best. Tell a man he can change a sprocket in less than two minutes on a inboard type verses telling him a outboard may seem to handle better but you need to remove the clutch to change the sprocket and see what he says. Easy maintence will always overshadow the preception of better handling because most don't care about the handling, everyone likes easy maintence. Now to your next post,LOLOL

Why not - afterall he is a Stihl dealer, so he has to present the good sides of the Stihl option.....:biggrin:

What he totally forgot to comment on, was the topic of this thread, and the handling differences.....:laugh::laugh:

Awwwwwwww I did not forget that. I reminded you in my post to Springs that you needed to come up with something other than handling and such to boost your sales. Far as me pushing the Stihl because I sell them one has to wonder why you push the Husky when you don't sell them, hmmmmmm. The numbers the past three years tells me Husky needs to hire you or hell even me, wait they got a hiring freeze going on right now, :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

A few years back in time, he did that about what really is the topic here as well, and then he was in total agreement with me.......:D

Back then the 261 didn't exist, but of course he has to support the brand that he lives by selling when they finally have what they think are a comparable saw - he just "forgot" what this thread really is about, and that the 261 really is too bulky and heavy to be comparable!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

If that were true Stihl's numbers would look quite abit different than they are, thier numbers prove that line to be uhhhhhhhh how shall I say it, 100% pure hog wash,:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The biggest differance is by going strato you stop sending so much unburnt fuel out the muffler. Remember unburnt fuel is fuel that is wasted and makes no power. Strato is a mere process of adding a laying of air on top of the fuel charge. This layer of air holds the fuel charge in the cylinder longer to burn off while the air is being exhausted first. This in turn makes more of the fuel charge burn making more power and less waste out the muffler. In simple terms a strato engine will make as much and sometimes more power on less fuel than a standard two cycle design. That results in a tank of fuel going quite abit longer explaining why a 261 will, per tank, outcut a 346 or 5100, empty saws don't cut anything nor do they ever catch up with the strato saw still running on that one tank of fuel. Remember a standard two cycle chainsaw sends as much as 25% of the fuel in the tank out the exhaust, never burnt, never made a ounce of power.

Of course the strato saws are more fuel efficient, no surprice there - but does it really matter for the average user? - hardly!

Of course the strato saws are more fuel efficient, no surprice there - but does it really matter for the average user? - hardly!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww gotcha now, does handling really matter to the average user? The answer is whoooping no as you well know, wink!!!!

There's a saying here in the midwest that says "put your money where your mouth is" and I intend to do just that. Tallguys, if you buy a new Dolmar 5105, have the dealer set it up, run 10 tanks of NON-ethanol fuel mix through it, and decide you would rather have a 346xp NE, i've got a near new 2010 346xp NE, non-cat, that has less than a dozen tanks of fuel through it that I will trade you even up, AND I'll pay the shipping on both saws. This offer good for 60 days from today. If I still have the 346 then it goes up for sale.
Thats one heck of an offer! :rock: Decisions, decisions...

Tallguys, which version of the 5105 are you going to buy the 14,500 rpm or the 13,800 rpm?

The only 5105's that I have seen around here are the newer 13,800 version so I don't think I would have much say in the matter.
Truthfully, I don't think the 700rpm would make much of a difference in my type of cutting anyway.

You haven't bought a saw yet ? Get on it !

Well, its kind of like this...
I'd pretty much decided on the PS5105 so I went to my dealer and told him what I was thinking about getting the 5105, swapping mufflers with my 510, selling the 510. Anyway, he managed to talk me out of it for the moment. Imagine that, a dealer who would take the time to analyze his customers needs vs. making a quick buck! Basically his opinion was why all the trouble to gain 3/4hp if I wasn't concerned about the 9/10 of a pound weight? I said durability. His opinion was that an engine not revving as high will last just as long if not longer given the same displacement, which makes sense to me. So I decided to hold onto the 510 and use it through the fall to see if I find it insufficient in any way.

Anyway, I also had a thread going about rethinking my saw plan and many AS members opined that since I had a 51cc that I should lose my 59cc MS361 and if anything get something around 70cc. Earlier this week I came across a really sweet looking PS6800i. Do you have any idea just how nice these sound? The seller told me how even his modified MS362 didn't keep up with it but he just didn't use it much. All his others saws were Stihls.

Look at my sig, as a hobbyist I think I've now got my bases pretty well covered :biggrin:and then some. Except for the occasional future bout of CAD and my (alleged) OCD, I think I'm good.

Back