Decision, decisions... 346XP vs. 5105/5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saws in question are so close in cutting speed, it really depends more on the operator than the saw. Any of the models you are looking at, properly maintained, will give good service for years.

That being said, buy the saw that feels the best in your hands and has sufficient dealer support in your area.

I've sold all new comers and kept the 5100s. Just cause my hands like it.

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2deLKrYxC4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m2deLKrYxC4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/humAS0wSnj0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/humAS0wSnj0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

So a ported and/or MM'd 346xp is a beast, but what about just the stock one as it comes out of the box? How does that compare?

I currently have a totally stock 346xp and it is a great performer. The first few tanks are not that impressive, but it really starts waking up after breakin. It performs best at high rpms but will bog some if you lean on it when bucking.

A ported 346xp performs like a 60cc saw, with good torque and great acceleration, but with light weight and great handling. No wonder it's so popular on AS. My stock 346xp is getting a makeover now.

346xp is junk

The 346xp is junk, mine lasted about 2 weeks. Something happens inside the carb when the saw gets to hot allowing air to be sucked in. This saw cannot be worked hard, definitely not a pro saw, 353 is much better.

The 346xp is junk, mine lasted about 2 weeks. Something happens inside the carb when the saw gets to hot allowing air to be sucked in. This saw cannot be worked hard, definitely not a pro saw, 353 is much better.

Bad deal on your 346xp. A few lemons are to be expected in every bunch. I have had nothing but good luck with my three. Give another one a try and see if it doesn’t grow on you like a good cheese mold. If you still have the 346 carcass, give a shout out. It might be worth a buck or two to some unsuspecting sole.

I figure its got to be something like that or as others allude to maybe its just the earliest ones. Out of curiosity what does your serial # begin with, the first 4-digits? I'd like to be on the safe side if I should happen upon a good 5100s deal.
I'll have to get back 2 you on that I'm at work.I think the buil date is Jan 09...wait its in the truck I'll go ck.

I do believe as hard as all saw mfgs try to make every saw consistent, some will just run stronger than others out of the box. I firmly believe the 261 I have is a better runner than my 346xpne and so does the three guys running saws on a daily basis, a new guy started yesterday, we didn't even mention it, he brought it up at the end of the day. I believe the guys who state they have better running 346's than 261's. I think it can depend on the saw, and how well it is broke in as well. Tuning, quality of fuel and other varbiles come into play when saws are so close in specs. I have two saws of the same model before (038 Mag II's) in close to the same condition, no way of knowing the hours on them that ran noticeably different.
I asked the new guy which saw he was most surprised by and his favorite of his first day was surprisingly the John Deere CS 56( Efco 156) which surprised me when he also ran a very strong 361, and a stock 044, it just goes to show that no two people will like the same saw and it boils down to personal preference.
It would be hard to go wrong with either a 346 or 261. I'm liking these new strato saws,most of us thought we would suffer, but I sure can't see any degradation of performance and I like the fuel efficiency of the strato's. Can't wait until fuel injection hits on saws.

I think it can depend on the saw, and how well it is broke in as well. Tuning, quality of fuel and other varbiles come into play when saws are so close in specs.

I think this sums really sums it up well. That and personal preference. I've been poking my head around another site where farmers/landowners share their opinions and the saws that mostly get the vote are the ones quite often scoffed at here. It just depends on what one expects out of their tool of choice.

tallguys, I just cut firewood for myself and I want a saw to last 25 years. That's why I'm sold on the German built saws Stihl and Dolmar. I just mounted new pro dogs on my 7901 and when I removed the screws all 4 of them had loctite on them. I heard on national news yesterday that German products averaged a 3 to 1 closer tolerances than other countries products and Germany is the economic powerhouse in the European Union.
Like my Dolmar Dealer said it all gets down to close machining tolerances.

Tallguys, your exactly right, it is more personal preference than anything, I get accused of being a Stihlhead all the time, truth is I'll run any decent saw,with indifference to brand, prefer the pro models due to the hard use and hours of run time ours get. I run Stihl's primarily because of the close relationship I have with a dealer, built over 30 years, I get his best pricing, first rate service, he even gives me consumer warranty periods even though he know we run them commercially. If I had the same kind of deal with a Husky dealer, I'd have more XP's. No doubt Dolmar builds some first rate saws, there is just no dealer close and in our line of work, when you need something you need it same day, or next day. There are some outstanding Dolmar dealer/sponsors on here that can ship just about anything, had one ship a carb for a 120 super.
Non-pro saws will always get a bashing on here.......period, it is an enthusiast site, lots of folks hate stock saws as well, and I do like a modded saw. If you are cutting commercially or just have the extra cash to play with a modded saw is hands down the way to add productivity or just have fun.
With that said if you are just cutting wood for yourself there are many saws that will fit your needs, don't over look the just discontinued Husky 359, it's a fantastic firewood saw. There are more 455/460 Husky's and 291/311 Stihls sold in a week than most pro saw models are sold in six months. Find the dealer that fits you, then find the saw that works for your needs. I always tell local folks to buy one step bigger saw than they think they need if possible. It's always easier to put a shorter bar on a bigger saw, than it is to step up with a little saw.

Tallguys, your exactly right, it is more personal preference than anything, I get accused of being a Stihlhead all the time, truth is I'll run any decent saw,with indifference to brand, prefer the pro models due to the hard use and hours of run time ours get. I run Stihl's primarily because of the close relationship I have with a dealer, built over 30 years, I get his best pricing, first rate service, he even gives me consumer warranty periods even though he know we run them commercially. If I had the same kind of deal with a Husky dealer, I'd have more XP's. No doubt Dolmar builds some first rate saws, there is just no dealer close and in our line of work, when you need something you need it same day, or next day. There are some outstanding Dolmar dealer/sponsors on here that can ship just about anything, had one ship a carb for a 120 super.
Non-pro saws will always get a bashing on here.......period, it is an enthusiast site, lots of folks hate stock saws as well, and I do like a modded saw. If you are cutting commercially or just have the extra cash to play with a modded saw is hands down the way to add productivity or just have fun.
With that said if you are just cutting wood for yourself there are many saws that will fit your needs, don't over look the just discontinued Husky 359, it's a fantastic firewood saw. There are more 455/460 Husky's and 291/311 Stihls sold in a week than most pro saw models are sold in six months. Find the dealer that fits you, then find the saw that works for your needs. I always tell local folks to buy one step bigger saw than they think they need if possible. It's always easier to put a shorter bar on a bigger saw, than it is to step up with a little saw.

Is it possible, every time a which saw thread comes up, this post can be automatically inserted. Well said Sir.

Back