diagonal is bad, right?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you and I generally agree with you, but turning a tree into firewood requires a lot more saw time than turning a tree into a log.

It is kinda similar to biking. If you put a poor rider on a good bike, it is a waste of machinery, but if you have two fairly evenly matched bikers, and one has a better bike than the other, you will see the difference. Note: better may depend on the route, some bikes climb well, some handle well, some are aero and go downhill faster. No matter if you are biking or chain sawing, you want your equipment to match your needs. That is why I don't have any real large saws, I just don't have the need for them.

alot more saw time but if you do firewood 5 days a year it don't mean **** anyways LOL. anyone can find time to wait for a wildthing to cut 5 days out of the year LOL even then you'll cut a cord of wood in half hour. :laugh: guys need to figure out how to port their backs to make the splitting and loading faster. the difference is a guy can do 2 cords of firewood and his saw time still doesn't come close to to a loggers day. oh my bad right, he can't keep up with his stock saw so a firewood hacks 2 hours saw time would take a logger 20 minutes :)

mike was saying that turning a log into firewood is alot more saw time then turning a tree into a log. of course it is but that is not a realistic comparison . while someone turning logs into firewood will normally do 1 and no more then 2 cords a day (making it out to max an hour cutting, someone cutting tree's down and processed into cut to length logs will do so none stop til their day is done making it way more saw time then a firewooder. it's just mike not looking at the big picture once again. wouldn't that be something if a logger went and processed one tree a day then called it a day :laugh: mike would be correct then but it's not realistic. when production matters is when a ported saw shines. there aren't many people who cut to produce and even if they do the added production brought on by there money going into saw being ported would have to equate into more money made by them. around here everyone went day rate so no matter what you produce you get paid the same making ported saws not worth the $. the odd guy still run ported saws though but most of them port them themselves.

Not so sure how you decided that firewood cutters only cut for an hour or two a day? Many may cut only a couple hours a month but some do it all day long. It's all good. Just keep in mind that just because someone doesn't use the brand of saws you do or cut what you do doesn't invalidate their chainsaw skills. You seem to have a pretty narrow view of how things should be and not everyone fits that profile. Here in the SE, pines, cedars and all that softwood/evergreen stuff is pushed in a pile and burned unless it's a commercial harvest but in other parts of the country that's as good as people can get for firewood and it's sought after. I don't disparage "softwood" cutters because I don't live in their world. fwiw.

never once judged anybody for there skills. what i was saying that many who get a saw ported can't keep up with a ported saw. many who say they can, actually can't but like to say it to make themselves feel better. maybe cutting cookies they can keep up. no matter what anyone thinks. if saving time is the purpose of a ported saw. you gotta save alot of time to make it worth it. not 5 minutes per cord 5 times a year. it's gotta be everyday til that saw is dead. anyone can have a ported saw but if a guy thinks saving that 25 minutes a year is reason enough to get one he's gotta get his head of his ass. most just do it to fit in and be able to say " i got this fast saw here you see" to all their friends. some people think because they have a ported saw they are cool. i've seen guys show off saws like they want praise for owning that saw. if they didn't build it and payed all that money to save 25mins ayear the only praise they get is for having more money then brains.

what i was trying to say from the beginning summed up is that a guy doing firewood handles wood alot more then his time on the saw whereas a guy processing tree's into logs doesn't even handle wood. his whole time at the job is saw time which is why i absolutely love the work. what i got out of mikes comparison is that a firewood hack needs a ported saw more cause his saw time is more therefore more time potentially saved. this is true if mike were talking about each person cutting one log each which is obviously how mike looks at it. to fall, limb and buck a tree for me in second growth is a 5-10min job depending. process that same log into firewood and you have more saw time of course but while your splitting and loading that wood i'm still working with the saw on the next tree. fact is, a guy working processing logs is all saw time while firewood is not. that was my response to mike.

How in the hell did this thread go from looking at DD'S d shaped jugs to bitchin about whether loggers or hacks put more time on a saw?
Yeah, Shane? o_O Quit pickin' on Mike. :laugh:

Seriously, who cares? I'm no logger. I don't run my saws nearly as often as I'd like, but when I do, I prefer running ported saws more than stock saws. I really have no use for a bunch of ported saws, but it's a hobby that I enjoy.

So **** off, Shane! Lol :hi:

I thought it was an obligation to derail AS threads. It wasn't a sudden derailment. sorta a 10mm 12mm hybrid thing turned into porting and then cutting... natural progression.

yep all three of those are KS jugs :)
got fun plans for them too
two of them are single + and the last is a ++
apparently each time they make a new mold from the master mold it gets an additional plus until the master is worn out then they change letters and start over
Dave
So how many saws are you building?

Don't underestimate the value of enjoyment of running a strong ported saw. I refuse to run anything else in a work environment. I simply enjoy it, and that's enough for me. You...obviously not. That's YOUR choice.

On the other hand, I build saws for commercial that DO make the owners more money. They've done the math. Not everyone situation is even close to being the same.

I can see both sides. For some enthusiasts it is a fun hobby that doesn't cost much. But if your goal is to cut a few cords of wood to cut down on the heating bill. Then the savings quickly disappear if you have thousands tied up in a couple new saws.

Same with loggers in some limited situations it may make sense financially. But most around here don't use chainsaws anymore.

Every arborist I know uses stock saws. They want to keep the noise levels down and won't even run a muffler mod. I can't even get my buddy to remove the spark arrestor on his ms200t for fear of liability of causing a fire.

dammit I blinked and ended up in a different thread :)
I do so little real cutting it is silly, but the truth is in the adage that after a ported saw, everything else seems a little anemic by comparison.
Somebody help me out here, did I get called out as a ported saw polisher in this thread ? :laughing:
an AMC gremlin can get you from point A to point B but drive a Lamborghini just once and you remember it forever
Dave
So how many saws are you building?
All of them!!! mwahahahahaha!!:rock:

Yeah, Shane? o_O Quit pickin' on Mike. :laugh:

Seriously, who cares? I'm no logger. I don't run my saws nearly as often as I'd like, but when I do, I prefer running ported saws more than stock saws. I really have no use for a bunch of ported saws, but it's a hobby that I enjoy.

So **** off, Shane! Lol :hi:

i never said don't own a fast saw. my post was to put old mikey in his place about who gets more saw time. he's looking at the saw time per single stem which is typical of a hack. now go suck on your 7900's exhaust port clint! LOL no hard feelings buddy ;)

Don't underestimate the value of enjoyment of running a strong ported saw. I refuse to run anything else in a work environment. I simply enjoy it, and that's enough for me. You...obviously not. That's YOUR choice.

On the other hand, I build saws for commercial that DO make the owners more money. They've done the math. Not everyone situation is even close to being the same.

i do run ported saws. i just don't pay anyone to port them for me. mike literally made it sound like a firewood hack needs a ported saw more then a professional logger. if this isn't retarded, i don't know what is.

Back