Did I buy a stolen saw...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calereeves

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A guy responded to my Craigslist want ad this evening with a ms271 in good shape. I told him I usually buy cheap broken saws, and couldn't probably pay what he'd want for this one. He said he'd send me a pic I could make an offer. Looked decent so I threw out 150. We settled at 170 and I met him to pick it up. Compression was decent and the saw looked good, and it had an almost new 20" b/c so I picked it up.

Obviously the guy needed money fast.

When I got home, I realized that the model/serial number sticker on the case, under the muffler, has been scraped off. I'm guessing stolen, but not sure how to check. What would you do?

Good question, I would like to know what to do, I buy several saws all over the place, I'm always worried I may pick up a hot one.

why wouldn't you scrap the sticker off? It's like leaving the tag on a pair of jeans... first thing you do it get rid of it. And beside, that area almost touches the log anyways.

Only way for sure is to have the cops run the number and hope someone reported it, if not there is nothing you can do.

A guy responded to my Craigslist want ad this evening with a ms271 in good shape. I told him I usually buy cheap broken saws, and couldn't probably pay what he'd want for this one. He said he'd send me a pic I could make an offer. Looked decent so I threw out 150. We settled at 170 and I met him to pick it up. Compression was decent and the saw looked good, and it had an almost new 20" b/c so I picked it up.

Obviously the guy needed money fast.

When I got home, I realized that the model/serial number sticker on the case, under the muffler, has been scraped off. I'm guessing stolen, but not sure how to check. What would you do?
theese saws dont have hit serials numbers somewhere , ?

Ha well I'd hope it's NOT stolen, just thought it was strange that you would scrape the sticker off with a screwdriver.

I probably wouldn't have thought twice if it was more expensive.

Only way to tell for sure is to have law enforcement check. But without a serial number, its not likely they'll be able to. A smaller agency might take the time to check burglary and theft reports for a matching description. With bigger agencies, probably not going to happen.

Even with the serial number on the saw, if the original owner didn't have that number written down to give to LE, it can't be entered into a data base as stolen.
You need a serial number to have it entered into most data bases as stolen.

Best way to protect yourself is a simple bill of sale that includes the seller and buyers name, address, phone number, etc. At least if someone ever says that's their saw, you'll have something to show where it came from. Probably wouldn't help you with the monetary loss but should clear you as a suspect.

Next time you have a deal like that where it's almost to good to be true. Make out a receipt and ask to see their license and write license number on the receipt. If they refuse..... walk away. If they comply then it's a pretty good chance everything is legit. I've regretted buying a couple for the same reason. I bought a saw last year that after further inspection found a last name and ssn engraved in it. 260 pro with a scored cylinder for $50. since it was scored I didn't worry to much but it made me think up the license number policy if things look shady. Sounds good in my head but I haven't tried it....just an idea at this point

Yeah, like when a guy receives a saw through the trading post from a well respected member. Serial number tag pried off, and id areas ground off. It's just business as usual in the trade of junk saws.

I'm not sure that I'd give out my license to somebody, but I'd definitely sign a BoS.
That may be the flaw to my idea. For me it would work. In a shop they trust your not stealing their identity. I already get license numbers for most checks so wouldn't be much different

Is that sticker the only serial number on the saw? I peeled the sticker off both my Stihls, and stuck it in the instruction manuals for safe keeping. Came in handy when my MS362 was stolen.

But both saws had the serial number stamped into the case also. Do the homeowner saws have them stamped above the bar too?

The average OPE owner (unlike us here) rarely keep their serial numbers recorded somewhere. Most of the time, they don't even know the model numbers of their OPE, or do they know where the sales receipts are, if they still have one.

That's why it's so easy to sell stolen power equipment. Most owners that experience losing their OPE don't even report it.

Well, $170 for a used saw that cost about $400 new isn't unreasonable. The fact that he found your ad and called you (as opposed to approaching you in the Home Depot parking lot) to me indicates he was looking at saw ads to figure out how much he could get for this thing. Saw your ad and decided to just get it over with if possible.
Sure it could be stolen but I wouldn't lay awake all night worrying about it. With as many saws as I've purchased, the chances are fairly high that some of them had been stolen at some time in their life. I've never knowingly purchased a saw that was stolen and wouldn't even if I suspected it may be. I do keep track of serial numbers so if someone took my saws, I have all the numbers recorded. Occasionally I get a saw with no serial numbers because the label fell off (some Poulan and Homelites) but I don't sweat it.

Latest posts

Back