Did I buy the wrong oil seals?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently posted a thread on which I received a lot of very useful info from you guys regarding buying generic crank bearings rather than paying the extortionate prices Stihl want to charge me.

I shopped around a bit and taking the advice I got here bought named bearing rather than "ten a penny" ones.

I ended up buying FAG bearings from an online shop which also sold oil seals. I checked the oil seal sizes I wanted and found that they could also provide these at a good price so figured I'd try them.

I wasn't sure based on the information provided that these were exactly what I needed, so only bought one of each size I was after. About the same time I also bought one of those aftermarket blister pack of gaskets and oil seals.

So I now have both and the aftermarket look exactly like the ones I've removed, steel outer with a rubber inner and upper and lower sealing lips. The ones I bought on spec seem to be all rubber (nitrile) and only have a sealing lip on the inboard side.

Sorry about the picture quality, either my camera is crap or I'm a crap photographer.

DSC01550.jpg

DSC01552.jpg

Will they do, or should I just toss them?

The generic ones are described as "Nitrile rubber oil seal with one contact sealing face (Type R21)"

The extra sealing lip is nice... and you can buy "generics' with both. There are only a handful of seals used on Stihl saws that you cannot buy on the open market, but I usually buy the entire OEM gasket kit just to get the seals.

You likely won't notice any difference - the difference will show up after many hundred of hours of normal use, or maybe less if use in dirty conditions. In other words, it's a lifetime issue.

Latest posts

Back