Did I just catch this piston before it exploded?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SteveSr

SteveSr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmm gents, very interesting revelation.

looking at other peoples 045 pistons, they have the dent in the top and protrusion in the bottom, but no cracking?

View attachment 898339View attachment 898338
After seeing this I think it might be safe to assume that the dimple is a lathe center for turning the piston on a lathe during manufacture. Based on the underside of the piston the dimple is deliberate. It looks like your piston may have been damaged during the manufacturing process. Still not good but it lasted this long.

Vintage Engine Repairs
After seeing this I think it might be safe to assume that the dimple is a lathe center for turning the piston on a lathe during manufacture. Based on the underside of the piston the dimple is deliberate. It looks like your piston may have been damaged during the manufacturing process. Still not good but it lasted this long.
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Now it’s all apart I’m much happier using the new piston. Will update everyone when it arrives wjth close up comparison pics!

Vintage Engine Repairs
So curiosity got the better of me & I tore the cylinders off a couple of scrapped "045's”... Turns out they're both 056 Mag's so that doesn't help but interestingly they both have similar dimples in the center of the piston. One also has pretty clear piston stop damage
View attachment 898759
Any damage on the underside of that piston pictured?

cookies

cookies

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Pistons are pretty thick in the center and rarely ever fail there even after contact damage. In the automotive world I see it all the time when a timing belt or chain skips or breaks resulting in piston to valve contact. the head is pulled, valves replaced and the piston is left dented and does not fail but any damage 1/4" to the edge and its toast requiring replacement. I would worry more about the rod than the piston in these situations, at this point it was running just fine before removal I would ring it and not throw a piston at it unless the skirt, ring lands or top edge is damaged.

Canyon Angler

Canyon Angler

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pistons are pretty thick in the center and rarely ever fail there even after contact damage. In the automotive world I see it all the time when a timing belt or chain skips or breaks resulting in piston to valve contact. the head is pulled, valves replaced and the piston is left dented and does not fail but any damage 1/4" to the edge and its toast requiring replacement. I would worry more about the rod than the piston in these situations, at this point it was running just fine before removal I would ring it and not throw a piston at it unless the skirt, ring lands or top edge is damaged.
I had the timing chain let loose on a Pontiac 400 in a 69 GTO, it just acted like it ran out of gas but apparently the piston came up and hit a valve, bent the valve, broke the piston (the skirt, strangely) and hunks of the skirt (and/or harmonic balancer collar, I forget, long time ago) churned around in the pan hitting crank journals, scoring a cylinder wall, etc etc and made a mess. The hunks of metal I fished out of the pan were all smashed up and dented and rounded off...looked like they went through a wood chipper.

I pulled the head and sent it off to be fixed, put in a new bucket and rings, cleaned up the cylinder as best I could with hand tools, replaced the harmonic balancer and buttoned it up. Ran it real easy for the first 1000 miles, about, and I thought I was good to go. But then it developed a knock and then it threw a rod, dumping oil all over the road. That was the end of that motor!

Latest posts