Did you know there was a modified work saw forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you know there was a modded work saw forum?

• Yes, and I'm there a lot.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • No, but I'll be there now that I know.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Yes, but it ain't my thing.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • No, and I could have lived the rest of my life not knowing

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • What's a work saw?

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
Reaction score
A recent suggestion to put porting threads in the "Modded Work Saws" forum got me to looking...and there it was in the "Hot Saws" forum. Who knew?

I dont see the problem with it being a sub forum. It would be soo nice to have the ability to visit a place where the ONLY threads are ones on pepping up saws, no which oil and which sprocket threads to sift through.

Seems like it would be way better to me but I dunno. .

The "Hotsaws" sub-forum used to be a completely separate website. It was hacked into and then Darin subsequently made it a part of this site. It was quite popular as a separate entity but never really caught on as a minor part of AS.

I have visited it a few times, It seems Replys/posts are few & far between. Theres probably not much more than 500/600 posts in there since last Jan. I prefer a Lil more action than that. I'm sure if it was out front it would do much better.

Yes, I was aware that it is there. It sure would be nice if all post concerning the porting or engine modification be posted in this section. Thank you for raising the level of awareness to others that may not have known it was there.
I personally believe that there is a reluctance for modder's to use that site due to the fact it is not as well known and may not serve their need for advertisement/soliciting business for the business they are running, i.e. modding chainsaws. If it is not going to be used, it might as well be deleted. In the past moderators have moved post to the correct forum when it was posted in the wrong forum. I hope in the future that they continue that trend with moving post concerning port work or video's showing modded saws be moved to the Modded Work Saw forum. It would keep the chainsaw forum clean. Less conspicuous to major sponsors that might view one of the recent clashes and think why am I spending my money to advertise on this site, or do not want to be linked with and activity that may may be considered a violation of federal rules and laws.
It would clearly define a place for those who want to view the mods and those that don't give a hoot in hell about them. Personally if you have read one, it is like a broken record they are all the same, grind, reassemble, runs great, cuts faster than it did before, more like an advertisement or self promotion video.

It's great the site took the time to dedicate a forum to the practice. Gives a good consolidated place for people to view them.

I don't see that in the grand picture of things that it really makes much difference. Scott

I don't follow. It doesn't make a difference whether or not you knew it was there?

I wished it was used more often. But at the same time, if I port an exhaust- should it go in the modded work saw forum? I dont think it should, but then you get guys talking smack on where this or that should be posted.
I get tired of people whining when a guy posts up an ebay link in the chainsaw forum. Should it go in the ebay forum? Yeah, but who gives a rat... I think the site is pretty well organized, dont want it broke down in to too much detail...

But like I said, what aggravates me more than anything... is the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality some have around here. Not pointing fingers at anyone, but the regulars who say "that should go in such and such forum," are more annoying than those that post in the wrong place. Most of those types post quite a bit out of order, break the same rules as everyone else here. JMO

It is logical that it would create one place where those that need or want modding information could go to without the, what saw is the best for me, what oil do you run, here is my new saw, how do you a vac check, etc. just like 056 stated.
it should make it easier for a member to just scroll through the modd post find the saw or procedure they are interested in without sifting through all the other stuff.
Makes good sense. I'm sure the forum would flourish, people will find it just as they found AS. For the folks who like to talk modding hopefully more will contribute and post in that forum, actually creating more traffic for the site.

I believe this thread should be in the off topic, it has nothing to do with fixing chainsaws

:monkey:

Seriously, what difference does it make where the threads for porting are. Saws are saws, and not many frequent the hotsaw section.

And Ted, you know your 660 port mapping thread was over here, cause it got more attention when you needed help.
Just saying.

Yall go outside and cut some wood, it is Saturday!

Move this thread to the off topic forum

Move this thread to the off topic forum. It has nothing to do with chainsaws! It's about what should be discussed in which thread.

Possum, the question is, would people frequent it more often if it were the only place they were posted, the answer is obvious, yes people would frequent it often, it could develop in a consolidated area for those seeking information concerning modding. There is no downside to it.

Yes, it would be frequented more often, but then again people looking for actual help may not get the help that they need. Saw porters have their hands on a lot of saws, and see more issues than average home owner Joe Blow will ever see. Casting flaws, problems from the factory-that are sometimes repeated on other saws. Seems kind of like censorship in a way

But what if I start a rebuild thread on a saw that I picked up and needed help, then asked about porting? I just dont see what the problem is, it is a chainsaw forum, if you dont like it. Go elsewhere.
Not intended at anyone^ But I am tired of hearing all the bellyaching, I enjoy coming on here and learning, and trying to help out when I am able.

Back