Did you know there was a modified work saw forum?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did you know there was a modded work saw forum?

• Yes, and I'm there a lot.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • No, but I'll be there now that I know.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • Yes, but it ain't my thing.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • No, and I could have lived the rest of my life not knowing

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • What's a work saw?

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
A recent suggestion to put porting threads in the "Modded Work Saws" forum got me to looking...and there it was in the "Hot Saws" forum. Who knew?

You talking about that Hot Saw thing? I've seen that a time or two. Now Ed you know when Elvis was touring and he was in a certain town on a certain day he was the talk of the town. No other entertainer wanted to be performing the same night in the same town when he was. Any idea why, yup, no action man. The crowd followed da King. Other entertainers just went to his show for they knew there would be no one at their show. That Hot Saw thing has the same problem, no action in it. All the action is in this part of AS so naturally the crowd hangs here. Unfortantly the modders aren't Elvis. They go over to Hot Saws and hang around all they gonna see is empty seats. The crowd is going to remain here so naturally the modders want to remain here too to show their work, hopefully pick up some work and make a buck off those watching. Thats cool and makes total sense.

Course now when you went to a show you knew beforehand what a ticket would cost you to get in the door. I read modding threads all the time but I never see posted in those those threads what the mod job they are showing cost. I've always found that odd. Secondly I for one would be inclined to kick some hiny if I was charged for a mod job and then find my saw being used as a advertising tool for more mod work in this forumn. Mod my saw for free and then you can use the mod job and my saw in this forumn to advertise for other mod work you don't show in here. Why I bet Hot Saws would find some action all the sudden,LOLOLOL

I simply like all chainsaw related discussions in one place. I want to see what others are doing, and I like to show what I'm doing, without having to hunt around to find it. I never visit any other forums on AS. Again, my posts, vids, and pics are not advertisements. They may serve as such, but that's certainly not their purpose. Modding saws is simply the part of saws I enjoy the most, along with photography and video making, so that's what I have to share. I do the same when I'm restoring an old classic or cutting firewood. Should we put those in another forum? I say not. This is a chainsaw forum and I say leave all things chainsaw related right here.

Last edited:
Some are responding to the respondants, not so much the opening post if that's ok.

That's fine. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

My point was that they were responding to Indiansprings as though he were proposing a ban on modded saw threads in the chainsaw forum.

Brad, to be fair you have to take the word "I" out of the equation and put the good of the site first, not an individual. There is no doubt you are being honest about what "you" enjoy, I'm totally fine with that. Maybe the new format's search function will be better, but you can't deny having all the modding info in just one forum wouldn't be helpful, I would think you would enjoy and take pride in developing another segment of the site. It would give focus and clarity to the subject the same way the site thats dedicated to racing saws does.
More than one has said they will follow, for a cmptr savy guy like you it would be no biggie to split the screen and keep up with both modded saws and the regular saw forum. I often do it between two different unrelated forums.
You might actually help some other members grow, there are many here that have great knowledge that need t step up in the regular saw forum to help others.

Brad, to be fair you have to take the word "I" out of the equation and put the good of the site first, not an individual. There is no doubt you are being honest about what "you" enjoy, I'm totally fine with that. Maybe the new format's search function will be better, but you can't deny having all the modding info in just one forum wouldn't be helpful, I would think you would enjoy and take pride in developing another segment of the site. It would give focus and clarity to the subject the same way the site thats dedicated to racing saws does.
More than one has said they will follow, for a cmptr savy guy like you it would be no biggie to split the screen and keep up with both modded saws and the regular saw forum. I often do it between two different unrelated forums.
You might actually help some other members grow, there are many here that have great knowledge that need t step up in the regular saw forum to help others.

You make some good points. However, the majority of all activity on AS in the chainsaw forum. It wouldn't be much fun posting where there's no activity. I realize that's what you're proposing changing. I'm just not sure it would ever catch on.

On another note, why are we singling out modded saws? Why not vintage saws, maintenance and repair, etc?

The Hotsaws part of the forum wasn't part of Arboristsite until late 2006. Before then it was a stand-alone website. So there's more than five years worth of modded saw info in the "Chainsaws" forum that existed prior to the creation of the Hotsaws forum and modded saws sub-forum. It would not be possible to migrate that modded saw data out of the Chainsaws forum to the modded saw sub-forum without doing it manually, post by post. So the habit of posting modded saw stuff in this Chainsaw forum was established long before there was a modded saws area.

the modded saw forum would grow immediately as soon as it became a focal point for the modded threads.

It has been tried...look at the results. Posts don't get the exposure there as in "chainsaws". Everyone wants the exposure, not just modders. That's why one posts in forums. Shift saw modding threads to these sub forums and they die a quick death. Others can benefit from modding threads from time to time.

Ever seen the perfect magazine? It won't be for the next bloke. Remember the complaints about all the sticky's. Annoyed some, not others.

Where does it all end?

There is enough interest in the topic to support a whole forum by itself. Things grow and naturally expand, one day other topics may get the traffic to support their own forums. You deserve a lot of credit for creating a saw modding following, personally I'd take the chance to grow that focus and grow that forum on the site and make it what the chainsaw forum is today. Secondly it helps create a seperation of the two opposing camps and their view. Anyone coming on the modding forum to raise hell about the topic would easily be identified and dealt with by mods.

You make some good points. However, the majority of all activity on AS in the chainsaw forum. It wouldn't be much fun posting where there's no activity. I realize that's what you're proposing changing. I'm just not sure it would ever catch on.

On another note, why are we singling out modded saws? Why not vintage saws, maintenance and repair, etc?

Seems to be a place aready built and singled out just for modded saws Brad, its over in that Hot Saw thing. Surely you wouldn't put your work shoes on to go to a wedding would ya, course not, you'd wear those nice shiny loafers but you wouldn't wear your shiny loafers to work in the old greasy shop would ya,LOL

Brad it appears you feel anything chainsaw related should be right here and thats cool. I beleive advising folks not to mod their saw would be chainsaw related too and I can state a whole lot more reasons againsit it than you can for it. Hell I could start threads advising againist it with all the information I process but rarely use and I'm positive many many would chim in and agree, hell such threads might stamp out modding completely around here and send it over to that place singled out just for it. Surely since its chainsaw related you got no problem with it, correct? Might even be fun, I like a good debate. Problem I have with it is I don't care one way or the other or in other words why would I want to do that. I'm not interested in messing up anyone's free speech to post anything they want.

However of late there's been alot of boo hooing and its all related to modding, not vintage saws, not repairs, not helping someone, its all been about modding. We hear I've had a belly full of the crap, the whining, the argueing, the calling out, the insults and so on. The link between all of it is what, modding. Maybe, just maybe, its time to not take away the toy everyone is fussing over but put it over in that place singled out just for it. Sure would clean this house up in a hurry. All problems resolved and get this everything continues on, nothing is taken away from anyone, everything is still going as usual but at another click on the home page.

What is the message in all that, play nice people or ole daddy Darin just might move the toy over to that place he built just for it.

Lastly none of the above pertains to me for slug fests don't bother me, I rather enjoy them even if I just read them and never say a word. I must admit the threads concerning modding of late have been getting kinda brutal, some of the insults in last weeks 681 thread were wowow. The recent 066BB thread went ballistic real quick. My kinda reading, upsetting not at all, rather entertaining but it do appear its not what Darin wants going on on his site. Durn shame, but he's da boss, grrrrrr,LOL

Now indiansprings, why are you pushing for this so hard????? I don't see the big deal... Chainsaws are chainsaws...As long as it doesn't have a bike engine in/on it, that would be considered a HOT SAW in my book... My question still is unanswered in that forum and it has been there for 23 hours. GREAT exposure there... I think not...

...Secondly it helps create a seperation of the two opposing camps and their view. Anyone coming on the modding forum to raise hell about the topic would easily be identified and dealt with by mods.

And to that end, I say what I've already said. Deal with the problem, not put a bandaid on it. Dairn's already done that, end of story.

Last edited:
Brad it appears you feel anything chainsaw related should be right here and thats cool. I beleive advising folks not to mod their saw would be chainsaw related too and I can state a whole lot more reasons againsit it than you can for it. Hell I could start threads advising againist it with all the information I process but rarely use and I'm positive many many would chim in and agree, hell such threads might stamp out modding completely around here and send it over to that place singled out just for it. Surely since its chainsaw related you got no problem with it, correct? Might even be fun, I like a good debate. Problem I have with it is I don't care one way or the other or in other words why would I want to do that. I'm not interested in messing up anyone's free speech to post anything they want.

Post away Tom. We'd all probably learn a thing or ten.

You talking about that Hot Saw thing? I've seen that a time or two. Now Ed you know when Elvis was touring and he was in a certain town on a certain day he was the talk of the town. No other entertainer wanted to be performing the same night in the same town when he was. Any idea why, yup, no action man. The crowd followed da King. Other entertainers just went to his show for they knew there would be no one at their show. That Hot Saw thing has the same problem, no action in it. All the action is in this part of AS so naturally the crowd hangs here. Unfortantly the modders aren't Elvis. They go over to Hot Saws and hang around all they gonna see is empty seats. The crowd is going to remain here so naturally the modders want to remain here too to show their work, hopefully pick up some work and make a buck off those watching. Thats cool and makes total sense.

Course now when you went to a show you knew beforehand what a ticket would cost you to get in the door. I read modding threads all the time but I never see posted in those those threads what the mod job they are showing cost. I've always found that odd. Secondly I for one would be inclined to kick some hiny if I was charged for a mod job and then find my saw being used as a advertising tool for more mod work in this forumn. Mod my saw for free and then you can use the mod job and my saw in this forumn to advertise for other mod work you don't show in here. Why I bet Hot Saws would find some action all the sudden,LOLOLOL

It always comes back to Elvis, doesn't it.

As you point out, it just depends on what kind of action you are looking for. I think the idea of having a dedicated modding forum is a great idea for those with an interest in sharing ideas about mods...I just didn't know it was there.

What the ####? What is your rational behind that? other than "ITS MINE!" like little kids do?

Diesel, 100's of additional members know about the forum now, Brad's been too busy here to answer your question. It's all about the education of the forum being available, alot of members discovered it is available tonight. Why do you resist change?

Latest posts

Back