difference between semi chizle & full chizle not much ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Matt, you finally get a handle on the rash?

I have used a bunch of different sawchain, the only thing I can add is that a well filed chipper chain can usually out cut some glory boy's wishful filing on chisel.

Interesting.

I was asking my local guy if he had any semi the other day to make up and he didn't. But, he has a big roll of .058 Chipper. He showed and explained the differences to me (chipper,semi,full).

Maybe I'll scarf up a money wise cheap .058 bar and have him make some loops up for me. Something to try.

I appreciate your input as these type of threads make my head spin as bad as oil ones.:msp_thumbup:

He showed and explained the differences to me (chipper,semi,full). . . .these type of threads make my head spin as bad as oil ones.

Oil is simple: pick one and live with it.

Chains are not much more complex, but they are not all the same. Most guys do not play a round of golf with one club. Most of us have a few hammers (nail, mallet, sledge, ball peen, etc.) and a variety of screwdrivers (flat balde, Phillips, Torx, etc.), or different writing utensils (pens, pencils, markers, etc.) for different uses.

Some guys think that their saw has to have one bar and one chain, until it is used up. But you can think of your saw like a socket set; where you start with a ratchet and select the right sockets, extensions, etc., for your task. For chainsaws, you can select a powerhead, then a bar (depending on the size of the wood, and whether you are limbing, bucking, falling, etc.), and a chain (hardwoods, soft woods, stumping, etc.).

So you might have a few different chain types to try, use, or experiment with: semi-chisel, full-chisel, skip-tooth, and even (gasp!) low-kickback, or (shudder!) PowerSharp. These are your pens, pencils, magic markers, highlighters, etc. You can write out a grocery list with a fat magic marker, but it is not necessarily the best choice. Same thing with making a garage sale sign with a pencil. If you go between two, main line manufacturers of full-chisel skip-tooth chain, it is like choosing between two brands of #2 pencils - you might have a preference, but will probably find them to perform similarly.

If most of your cutting is the same (bucking oak firewood, or falling 12-inch poplar, etc.), you can pick one set of powerhead/bar/chain that works for you, and forget about the rest.

For purposes of full disclosure, I mostly run full comp, low-kickback, semi-chisel chain, or PowerSharp chain, as this meets most of my cutting needs. I use a couple of different bar lengths. I would consider a different bar or chain for a special project.

Philbert

At the risk of stereotyping myself, I used hand filed square chisel in green timber, full comp of course. I did keep a couple saws with chipper on them for general purpose use. I used chipper with the 660 for the rough stuff like DF snags or creek bed bucking.
I learned how to file on chipper, it is a bit more forgiving, you can still botch it up easy enough. My transition to square filing chisel was made easy, it was 9/16". I can't remember ever using semi chisel.

At the risk of stereotyping myself, I used hand filed square chisel in green timber, full comp of course. I did keep a couple saws with chipper on them for general purpose use. I used chipper with the 660 for the rough stuff like DF snags or creek bed bucking.
I learned how to file on chipper, it is a bit more forgiving, you can still botch it up easy enough. My transition to square filing chisel was made easy, it was 9/16". I can't remember ever using semi chisel.

That's interesting. You'll actually square file for day-to-day use? How do the chains hold up?

Square filed or ground will hold up just like full chisel that's round filed. Keep it out of dirty stuff and it will last a couple tanks. I've used square on some long bars and they stayed sharp 5-6 tanks and this was oregon chain. In real dirty wood that's been laying on the ground for awhile or skidded you might get 2 tanks before it needs to be sharpened.

That's interesting. You'll actually square file for day-to-day use? How do the chains hold up?

Yep, every production chainsaw, every day. The chains held up very well, it helped that I learned to file correctly right off the bat. Keeping steel sharp is in the blood, my Dad was a Journeyman Sawfiler at one of the greatest sawmills ever.
The older the tree, the more grit is in the bark, if you shave it down some, you can avoid most of it. Did I ever mention my dislike of alluvial flat timber?

as it migrates from the point of origin, you will end up whiter than Michael Jackson.:hmm3grin2orange:

There is no way known that any white man can end up whiter than him. It is chemically, biologically, and genetically impossible...

Well OK, maybe not chemically as he sorta proved that...

There is no way known that any white man can end up whiter than him. It is chemically, biologically, and genetically impossible...

Well OK, maybe not chemically as he sorta proved that...

On the subject of being white, did you not catch the fact that I and several others shaved our noggins?
Yep, I'm starting on a new set of sideburns. Can you stand the thought of such awesomeness?

You used a 660 Randy???

Soft...

You used a 660 Randy???

Soft...

yeah, guess I'll cop to it. I was young enough enough not to know better.

Thecrew-1-2.jpg

Latest posts

Back