Do you guys always use a degree wheel when porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

komatsuvarna

Arboristsite MVP
Reaction score
Im going to be doing some porting in the next few weeks, as soon as I find a good project saw to play with. Im not real crazy about tearing into my runners to expierment with.....yet;)

My past expierences is with 4 strokes. I never degreed a motor unless I was dealing with pop up pistons, tall cams, big valves, decked blocks, shaved heads and long duration cam profiles.

Ive NEVER been in a 2 stroke, but got the idea of how they work. I can tell that im gonna have to forget alot of my 4 stoke stuff cause 2 strokes is alot different. Im used to a cam being the brain, but on a 2 stroke I guess its really the ports and port heights/size that controlls the engine. I guess you guys can tell that Im already confused.LOL

One the degree wheel question, do you guys always use them to ''be sure/safe''? Im not going into any radical race saw stuff , just basic woods porting.

Only have to use it if your raising the ports not widening im pretty sure.

I've not been using a degree wheel on any that i've ported.

I didn't on the last 2 saws I ported, but I was taking out damage done by topends eating bearings. The damage dictated port height. Saws ran ok for old junkers.

I do, just because I like to know what the numbers are. I'm usually changing them as well.

i agree with will if you want it to run the best it can you try to put the port numbers at there best duration. once you learn to do it youll wonder why you wouldnt.

Latest posts

Back