do you take your own saw to work

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i seen the solo in the new bailys mag anyone run that?

I have a 633 and it works great for me. My biggest complaint is how it likes to bleed gas and bar oil when it's not running.

Taking your own saws to work when you are an employee is foolish, Yes its nice to know what is there & in good condition when you need it!

BUT...... this will set a precedent for the larger companies to require climbers/bucket operators to have their own gear & saws when reporting for work! & if you guys think you`re gonna get a pay raise to cover you...LOL

just work with what you`re provided with, if something goes wrong....then its all on the company & not so & so`s personal saw that wasnt running properly! any company worth any thing would not want the liability of some one bringing out their own equipment.

I wouldn't buy and use my own gear if I was working for Asplundh, Wright Tree Service or somebody big like that, matter of fact it was the other way around when I worked for Asplundh. Everybody used their equipment to do side jobs on the weekends. I even worked with a couple crews that would leave out Monday morning in the Asplundh truck and the first thing we would do is go to chip brush from a side job they did on the weekend, then go to where we were doing line clearance. Most the smaller yet respectable companies around here will at least provide a saw, and if you bring your own gear, they will replace it when it wears out. When you leave the company, you leave with the same type of gear you brought into the job. While I agree with you to a certain point, every company, every area, and every climbers circumstances are different.

.We all hand file our own chains..I only need to touch mine up once a week or so if that...

cmon man! ive got callouses on both thumbs from holding the end of the file. i sharpen the saw at the very least twice a day. i'd venture to say maybe almost every set up unless i know that thing is already rip'n.

i'm crazy about a sharp saw. hate to hear that engine screaming when someone is running a dull chain. it hurts me.

i hear you lxt. but when you gotta share a ground saw or are running a subpar tophandle its an easy choice. nothing worse than watching some stiff pinch a saw and watching them yank on the thing until it pops free and know that you will have to run that POS next at some point. no thanks. crooked cuts, bent bar, chain rocked, huge burrs on the bar, dirty air filter, sawdust in the oil tank. on and on. nooooo thanks.

were i work now is another story. i asked for a full wrap. bang it was there the next day with some screnches that fit the wrap perfect.

i dont like the 338xpt because it cant do what i ask of it and they have plenty of them but i asked for the 2hunge. bang. it was there a couple days later and i barely ever use the thing due to the fact i am running a brand new 372xp full wrap.

so yes my saws are now in the garage collecting dust because i am almost too busy for sidework. lol.

but my point about that is if the company isnt providing you with the right gear to get the job done right then maybe a good option for you ,to make work life easier, is to take your own gear in. sure try to squeeze em for a buck or two for the use but if they dont then maybe its time to look for some place that will. nothing worse than an owner who doesnt provide you with the proper tools.

no lateral moves though. dont go to another jerk with subpar gear and equipment. its gotta be an upward move not lateral.

If you are employee use employers saws. If contract then bring your own.

The right answer.

I fly/ship mine ALL over the country.
So I make the decision and stand by it. cheap saws only comprimise my ability to produce. If they own it, good. otherwise...........

When I make the suicide cut under the crane, over the multi million dollar house, It's a perfect scenario.

Or AMF.

ok thanks guys i knew i would get some good insight

verdict is my 200t stays at home aslongs as im not working for my self or contract climbing.

i need to get OD magic powers we need a 2 200t's a 361 to replace the 310, and a new 660 just because its nice to have two....Bang...wait no new saws?

i always use my own.

i don't like using others saws.i don't like others using mine.a couple guys are allowed to use mine depending who i am working with but i watch them like a hawk and i will pounce the second i see something i don't like.

mine always run and cut.i can't say that about everyone else.i know how i like my chains.SHARP and snug!

i need to get OD magic powers we need a 2 200t's a 361 to replace the 310, and a new 660 just because its nice to have two....Bang...wait no new saws?

lol.

i got a hoodie and a bunch of shirts long sleeve and short. a sweet winter coat too.

tell you what brother. once you look like this in a tank top maybe they get you a new saw too!

demand one even.

lol

lol.

i got a hoodie and a bunch of shirts long sleeve and short. a sweet winter coat too.

tell you what brother. once you look like this in a tank top maybe they get you a new saw too!

demand one even.

lol

I am going to have to agree with you there on that though I will say I don't look like that in a tank top but when I say 20 they come running too. I keep 3 close by. These days I only fly with what I buy in the saw dept. and I really don't mind one dam bit. One thing: I am not going to work on a saw to get it cutting right and useable to discover ( when I am aloft) that someone screwed it up cause that would ruin my day.

And I guess we found Mr. July. Hot and steamy, gonna sell a lot of calenders.

Last edited:
lol.

Hey, OD, What's with the strings hanging out the tank top?

attachment.php

My bad, those are your arms.:hmm3grin2orange:

lift some weights, look like this. 12 oz brew curls work wonders...................

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have followed your pics TS, if you feel like a holiday come on over. I hope you like palms......

I took down a big one in Orlando, Fla. a few years back. :jawdrop: My god, was like a sinking ship, all the wildlife that ran out of it. Marlon Perkins scared the s#it out of me, too. Where the hell did he come from?:laugh:

Before Dad retired in 1986 he would by his climbers any saw they wanted. We were still using mostly Homelite's, but if the climber wanted a Stihl or Husky, Dad got it. The small Poulins were prety good back then, not like the Wild Thing and Wood Shark at Home Depot. Custom saws were unheard of by us back then. If a climber was half decent and came to work every day, dropping $500 on a good saw for him was money well spent, Joe.

Before Dad retired in 1986 he would by his climbers any saw they wanted. We were still using mostly Homelite's, but if the climber wanted a Stihl or Husky, Dad got it. The small Poulins were prety good back then, not like the Wild Thing and Wood Shark at Home Depot. Custom saws were unheard of by us back then. If a climber was half decent and came to work every day, dropping $500 on a good saw for him was money well spent, Joe.

And that is the crux of the biscut. :clap: make a good climber happy, and the heavens shall open up and pour forth it's rewards.

treat them like crap, and now a race horse is pulling a :censored:plow.

Tom.:mad:

My bad, those are your arms.:hmm3grin2orange:

lift some weights, look like this. 12 oz brew curls work wonders...................

attachment.php

yeah man! you ripped up for sure you old dog you. but you better be a muscle-y mofo for that size. when your eyes look upon me its nothing but 6foot 6inches of twisted steel and sex appeal wrapped up in a 230lb package.

dont make me put up a flex shot man. last thing you want is your ol' lady peep'n me out!

lol

You guys seem to have forgotten that it ain't the size of your arms the lady's are interested in. lol

You guys seem to have forgotten that it ain't the size of your arms the lady's are interested in. lol

dont make me put up a profile shot of that either blakes. i spent a career of black outs hanging wang cause i though it was so special. again, if any of your ol' ladies peep that thing that'll be one less crotch that you get to tie into!

LOL

Back