Do you throw it down or set it down?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carym2a

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Saw something this morning coming in to work , a big tree service outfit here were cutting brush and the cutter would throw or just drop the new MS440 from waist high to the ground or in the brush between cuts when they would clean up.

Saw something this morning coming in to work , a big tree service outfit here were cutting brush and the cutter would throw or just drop the new MS440 from waist high to the ground or in the brush between cuts when they would clean up.

The saw didn't belong to him.

Some people think chainsaw=indestructable which from reading this site many have found it to not be true:msp_scared:

Throw it down? Not unless you're auditioning for a part on Ax-Men.

I've had a couple of saws that I would have gladly thrown off of a cliff but I traded them for something better.

That's why my guys buy and use their own. Funny how much better their stuff is taken care of. I even pointed it out to one of the guys.

how come he still has a job????

I'll bet he sets it down nice when the boss is around.

This reminds me of the time I was in a neighborhood far from home when I saw a crew of landscapers working the same street I was on. The guys were riding wheelies with the walkbehind mowers. I went out and laughed and asked them to do it again so I could send a picture to my kid. They figured I was COOL because of the Fox Racing and Wiseco stickers in my truck window.

I sent the picture to my buddy, the owner of the landscaping company.

If it is going to break being dropped from less than 3' onto a non paved surface then it is a POS saw.

If the fellow is hammering it into the ground or punting it over the brush then that is different, but dropping it on the ground from waist high or tossing it gently out of the way is just another day in the life of a saw.

I am heading out to gently punt an MS200 around. Surprised it still runs what with all the abuse and evil government fuel, and Chinese parts, and what not. At least with the rear handle it gets better reach when using it one handed.

Last edited:
I set mine down. I try to find a place to set where it will stay upright and I don't kiss it.

Sounds like mine of matter! Its not mine so it dont matter

I have thrown 440s to get them away from me as I started to tumble down a hill. I have tossed it ahead of me when using vegetation belays to get up a steep cutbank, and I have rolled it down a cutbank because it was safer to do that than pack it down. No breakage of the saw or me.

Judging by many pics of used saws, many treat them as crap - but it won't happen with mine! It looks like many people can't distinguish between use and abuse! :sucks:

I used to work for a landscaping company during summers in high school and don't worry, its not prejudice to just chainsaws, its all tools, no matter how expensive lol. Who knows, maybe their boss is always on their butts to move faster. :msp_tongue:.
I never drop my saw so's not to dull the chain, those guys don't realize they are just making their jobs harder.

Latest posts

Back