Dolmar 5100s refused warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElgBurner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello

I've got a Dolmar 5100s with the scored piston problem.

I followed all manual specs (jaso FD oil and 89 above oct) 50:1

I bought the saw (new) in 2011 from a dealer, they sold me a 2008 saw and I didn't realize it at the time.

It was only used 4 times within 7 months and only by myself with a fresh mix.

API (distributor) is refusing warranty for "insufficient lubrication"

I think there is a larger problem with the 2008 saws; see links

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/89304.htm

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/203098.htm

In classic corporate fashion, I am getting the run-around from Dolmar and API.

Thanks for letting me vent, your input is appeciated.

Elg

You're not in PA are you? The dealer where I bought my 5100s wasn't even aware there were 5105's out there. He is still selling 5100s's and has yet to stock a 5105. Dolmar's problem around here, there is no good dealers (that I have found).

Is API the retailer you bought it from? Or, is that who supplies your retailer?

...Is API the retailer you bought it from? Or, is that who supplies your retailer?...

...API (distributor) is refusing warranty for "insufficient lubrication"...

I would move up the chain to Dolmar corporate. There have been owners with similar problems who got satisfaction by going around the distributor. I would compose a nice email. Be succinct, polite, but firm. State that you followed the recommended fuel/oil dosing, used fresh fuel, and bought the saw from an authorized dealer who set it up for you. I would send the email to the distributor and CC some folks at corporate in Atlanta. Call someone at 770 569 4945 (Dolmar Gmbh North America) and get an email address of someone that can help you. Be persistant, but don't be threatening (you sounded fine in your initial post).
Good luck!

Way to go Murph! Hope they take care of this guy, part of the cost of a new saw is the warranty, shouldn't be worthless... Russ

Like suggested by Brad in the thread you posted... I suggest pulling the limiter caps and richen up your mix. I also find running a synthetic helps longevity of the piston and cylinder.

My dolmar dealer is a good friend so he doesn't care about me pulling the limiter caps... :D He's sent some saws my way and he knows I only make adjustments to keep reliability. If your dealer is worried about the limiter caps missing just keep them and reinstall before warrenty work. My dealer has provided me parts (cylinder and piston) and I do the work myself. That way you can set the carb how you want, and they aren't out the man hours to fix your saw. Plus they can get a cylinder and piston cheaper than you can... You can tell them it would be cheaper to have a loyal customer than someone bad mouthing a product they sell but that sounds kinda threatening.

I feel your pain on how much this stinks... Dolmar is just trying to keep costs down from people who return with strait gassed saws. Making friends with a dealer always helps but if all else fails go around to corporate.

Also in reference to the comment made in the other thread... The guy who was wondering if he should just buy a Stihl... Well keep in mind all saw company's are dealing with the same EPA problems and there's always a good chance you'll need to pull limiter caps or richen a new saw up...

Last edited:
You can request to speak to Terry Green, the tech director.

As you know, stay calm, but tell them everything that happened and express your disappointment.

Also, every 5100s I know of, has come out of the dealer lean. However, the dealer doesn't check unless you break-in and then return for a tune up. BTW, this dealer charged for the break-in tune up. But, due to this site, I checked the saw prior to that, and it was running really hot.

Thanks

Thank you everyone!

So many great points. I do not believe the dealer even knew about these saws being lean from the factory.

I feel the distributor (supplier) API is putting my dealer and I in a bad spot.

Reading posts about the 5100s leads me to believe that there is a disconnect between EPA bull and real world performance.

D&B- I am in New Hampshire.

Mike- thanks for the contact, I will call him.

Murph-great advice, keep cool.

Dolmar-If we had known the 5100s saws needed a tweak, we'd get it done-easy!

When the saw ran, it was perfect. I just want to get back to cutting with as little drama as possible.

Elg

If you get along with your dealer and most are pretty understanding let him know that you will contact corporate because of the dist. giving you the run around. That way he will have some warning and be ready when corporate calls him with an explanation. Remember this the dealer is the eyes for corporate not the end user. So make sure he is willing to go to bat for you as he should.

If you get along with your dealer and most are pretty understanding let him know that you will contact corporate because of the dist. giving you the run around. That way he will have some warning and be ready when corporate calls him with an explanation. Remember this the dealer is the eyes for corporate not the end user. So make sure he is willing to go to bat for you as he should.

Very good point -- if he gets a call out of the blue he may throw you under the bus

Thank you everyone!

So many great points. I do not believe the dealer even knew about these saws being lean from the factory.

I feel the distributor (supplier) API is putting my dealer and I in a bad spot.

Reading posts about the 5100s leads me to believe that there is a disconnect between EPA bull and real world performance.

D&B- I am in New Hampshire.

Mike- thanks for the contact, I will call him.

Murph-great advice, keep cool.

Dolmar-If we had known the 5100s saws needed a tweak, we'd get it done-easy!

When the saw ran, it was perfect. I just want to get back to cutting with as little drama as possible.

Elg

There is more to it than the saws simply being tuned lean. The early runs had several issues, carb sealing rings missing, loose carb bolts, tight cylinder bores, spun bearing issues, bad carb's, bad ignition coils, overheating issues, tank vent issues. Well that's all I can remember.:laugh:

Dolmer should have recalled these saws long ago, they owe you a new 5105 or a full refund, end of story. I love my 7900's But Dolmer isn't easy to deal with when it comes to warranty issues. Like others have said get in touch with Dolmar directly and that may get the ball rolling. BTW they pulled the oil fuel issue with me as well, I run my mix at 32:1:laugh:

Also, every 5100s I know of, has come out of the dealer lean. However, the dealer doesn't check unless you break-in and then return for a tune up. BTW, this dealer charged for the break-in tune up. But, due to this site, I checked the saw prior to that, and it was running really hot.

The dealer shouldn't charge for that - it is part of the sales process! ;)

"BTW they pulled the oil fuel issue with me as well, I run my mix at 32:1" That seems to be the "default" response for these saws.

I wonder what the total 5100s were bad or had issues? I am calling Dolmar today and hopefully will get some traction.

Thank you!

I talked with a Dolmar dealer about 2 years ago who told me they would only warranty saws that used the pre mix gas.I told him I would only buy something other than a Dolmar.Too bad, I really wanted that 7900.

I would have asked to see that in the Dolmar warrant info. I also would have asked to speak with a district rep to get a clarification of what would be covered in the event it was needed. It sounds like the dealer was trying to pad his pockets by selling pre-mixed fuel.

In the first year or so nearly all of the 5100's in my area failed, this came from a local rep. The later 5100's were fine saws.

And in what year did they turn into fine saws? The dealer I work with now said he has never had a saw come back for a lean seizure and he has been a dealer for a long while.

I would have asked to see that in the Dolmar warrant info. I also would have asked to speak with a district rep to get a clarification of what would be covered in the event it was needed. It sounds like the dealer was trying to pad his pockets by selling pre-mixed fuel.

I don't know about that, he didn't have any in his store.But I thought if he's already trying to get out of warranty work before I even buy the saw, I ain't doing it.

Latest posts

Back