Dolmar 5100s refused warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never returned to the local dealer after waiting over 3 weeks for an oil line. He got pissy when I told him I didn't want it anymore I can get one in the mail in no time. I don't even know if he's still a dealer since I've never been back. I used to buy all my mower parts there, thanks to Dolmar parts distribution he really lost a customer.

Wow, I would say that's a bit higher than 5%, isn't it? That's a pretty awful track record; and if they are doing a duck and cover with the customers it makes it 10 times worse.

They have some decent saws, but they're just never going to be taken seriously with that approach.

Exactly!! Dolmar makes some awesome products, but denying a problem exists when it obviously does, hurts way more than it helps. Acknowledging an issue and dealing with it will gain respect, even if the product was faulty. We all have problems, how we deal with them separates the adults from the children.

Think of it this way...

How many people have been affected by Dolmar?

How many people are talking about a bad saw, a bad level of responsibility and an overall BAD company.

In reality they are reaping what they sow. Stihl, Husq and others have a good user base because those companies work with and support their dealers.

I know there are exceptions but, most people want a good product line and they want to stick with it. You learn about the gear you bought, get interested and

invested in the tools you use. You want it to work and maybe don't care what color it is, but you know the name and you know where to get parts etc..

I had an 031AV that was given to me by my Grandfather. When it had gone to meet its maker (30+ years later) I thought I'd treat myself.

30+ years vs.7 months!! I am disgusted and Gramp is probably pissed too!

So far, I've done all the leg work and ultimately I either end up with a working saw or I'll buy a worthy established competitor. I took a chance on dolmar based on some reviews and I am asking

them to make good and not have me regret my decision. If not, my new hobby will be making sure NO-ONE buys a Dolmar.

Elg-out

It's a shame really, I will and always will recommend the 7900/7910, 420, 3410 and 9010. Overall Dolmar makes some of the best products out there, but they need better PR people in a big way. Hell myself and others (some dealers) on this site have helped Dolmer more than they've helped themselves IMHO.

Exactly!! Dolmar makes some awesome products, but denying a problem exists when it obviously does, hurts way more than it helps. Acknowledging an issue and dealing with it will gain respect, even if the product was faulty. We all have problems, how we deal with them separates the adults from the children.

:agree2: Exactly!

What I ran into with there service

Dolmar's Costumer Service.

I had just bought my Dolmar 5100 and it came from a FULL SERVICE dealer in the area that was less than a dealer at all. I wasn’t worried about having a great dealer around and they had a close-out price on the saw so I said what the hell. Well doing more reading on here I see there was a filter upgrade and the way I read it the dealer was to have this done to the saw before I got it, also ran, tuned, and gone over with the costumer. Well I thought why not contact Dolmar and run it by them what happened to me and see what happens. I would say they (Dolmar) did awesome.

Dolmar’s Email
Hi Ancy I am sorry to hear you are not being taken care of. I need to know the name of the dealer you purchased the saw from. This saw is a professional hot rod saw a works great in the right hands, it is light powerful and vibration free and it needs to be set up properly so it will give you a long service life and great experience. The reason there has been some bad rap on the internet has a lot to do with alcohol in the fuel and low octane fuel and owners leaning out the carburetor adjustments because that is the only carburetor adjustment you can make unless you have special tools. The saws are set up in Germany, at sea level with 90 octane fuel with no alcohol, to meet our EPA emissions. If you adjust the carburetor the only thing you can do is lean it out running it hotter. That is not needed unless you are a high altitude and then it should only be done by a professional with the correct tools and experience. If you are using midgrade with 10%alcohol you are already running 4% leaner than the factory set it up. We recommend using only using synthetic 2 stroke oil like Dolmar 2 stroke oil in the fuel to help compensate for the extra heat and you have the saw set up properly. I am glad to help you with this so please get that information to me as soon as possible.

My Email
The dealer was Blank Blank Blank. I have been around saws and do own a Dolmar 6400 in the Makita blue and love that saw. I have not had time yet to run the 5100 but does sound like a hot rod. I tuned the card to 13,800 RPMs rich and will speed it up after a few tanks. I am in the mid-west and high octane fuel around here doesn't get used(so stale from the start) and contains alcohol, so I use 87 octane with no alcohol and is the freshest around as everybody uses it. Our elevation average is 1,100 feet above sea level. I just would like to run the saw with the upgraded filter in place so I do not risk anything or any other changes needed. Thanks Again

Dolmar’s Email
Hi Ancy thank you for getting back to me. Our area representative talked to the owner of Blank Blank Blank about the way your saw was delivered to you and he said he would instruct his personnel in both locations so this does not happen again. It is Dolmar’s policy that all saws be set up at delivery (the air filter should have been checked and changed if needed at this time) and tested plus the customer be made aware of all the features and safety of using the equipment. You should have been made aware of the importance of using synthetic 2 stroke oil and been offered the Dolmar oil because we know it is made to the highest standards. Because of that I would like to send you the new style air filter that should be in your saw and a six pack of our 2 stroke oil along with my apologies. I am not sure you have the older air filter so I included the tech bulletin showing the old and new filter, if yours is the same please just keep the new one as a spare. I hope the rest of your ownership goes smooth. Please send me your address so I can ship this UPS.

I had an 031AV that was given to me by my Grandfather. When it had gone to meet its maker (30+ years later) I thought I'd treat myself.
30+ years vs.7 months!! I am disgusted and Gramp is probably pissed too!

What happened to the Stihl?

Overall Dolmar makes some of the best products out there, but they need better PR people in a big way. Hell myself and others (some dealers) on this site have helped Dolmer more than they've helped themselves IMHO.

They need 2 things:

1) Better PR as you noted and

2) Better screening for dealers. I cannot count how many of these "problems" have arisen from guys buying saws that were not set up properly by their dealer. The shop in my area doesnt even stock saws - they order you one in when you want one & then hand it to you in the (unopened) box.

Bad dealer + Dolmar trying to get around the EPA + a saw at a pricepoint that was very appealing to newbies = its no wonder we hear about so many blown up 5100s.

Obviously, there are some GREAT dolmar dealers. My "new" dealer is about an hour away & is a chainsaw-first store. they sell huskys, j-red and dolmars. I would have full faith buying a 5100 or 5105 from them if i was going that route again.

On the flip side, there are some terrible Stihl and Husky dealers, I just think that for the most part stihl & husky has weeded out the bad ones better - whether it be through a screening process or just plain time (bad businesses generally dont stay in business as long as good ones ;) )

2) Better screening for dealers. I cannot count how many of these "problems" have arisen from guys buying saws that were not set up properly by their dealer. The shop in my area doesnt even stock saws - they order you one in when you want one & then hand it to you in the (unopened) box.

Part of the problem is Dolmar themselves. It is their responsibility to tune their units for EPA compliance, and user functionality. If they are tuning their saws with no ethanol and for higher altitude just to meet EPA standards, then that's part of the problem. Stihl's factory tunes are set up with 89 octane and 10% ethanol in their fuel. Probably why a much lower failure rate.

They need 2 things:

1) Better PR as you noted and

Bad dealer + Dolmar trying to get around the EPA + a saw at a pricepoint that was very appealing to newbies = its no wonder we hear about so many blown up 5100s.

You forgot the most important factor, the attitude towards dealers and costumers!

ancy - 031AV blew the coil pack. I am glad you got good service with your filter.

I am not interested in bashing the good products and I will be more specific.

The 5100s maybe a good saw that's plagued by bad dealers with poor knowledge.

It may be a manufacturing defect. The 5100s have a "scored piston issue" from all different altitudes, climates, users etc..

This is the common failure. I want dolmar to troubleshoot their saw and their vendor chain so I can cut wood.

ancy - 031AV blew the coil pack. I am glad you got good service with your filter.

I am not interested in bashing the good products and I will be more specific.

The 5100s maybe a good saw that's plagued by bad dealers with poor knowledge.

It may be a manufacturing defect. The 5100s have a "scored piston issue" from all different altitudes, climates, users etc..

This is the common failure. I want dolmar to troubleshoot their saw and their vendor chain so I can cut wood.

We don't have much for any FULL SERVICE dealers here so I was stuck learning on my own and thank goodness I did. I saved over a grand with going with Dolmar over Husky or Stihl and don't plan on selling them so resale means nothing. I think Dolmars are just as good and better than the other two but that could be argued for ever!

and if a 50cc saw cant' run 3/8 chain it's a useless saw.

It sounds like you need something other than a 50cc saw. There is a difference between could and should. Running 3/8" chain on a 50cc may make you feel more manly but it doesn't necessarily make it cut faster. It only makes the engine work harder than it should. I wouldn't even think of running 3/8" chain in hardwood if anything was over 4" in diameter.

3/8 chain on a 50cc saw is like a spoiler on a Honda. It doesn't make it go any faster.

Last edited:
It sounds like you need something other than a 50cc saw. There is a difference between could and should. Running 3/8" chain on a 50cc may make you feel more manly but it doesn't necessarily make it cut faster. It only makes the engine work harder than it should. I wouldn't even think of running 3/8" chain in hardwood if anything was over 4" in diameter.

3/8 chain on a 50cc saw is like a spoiler on a Honda. It doesn't make it go any faster.

No offence PB, but that is just flat out wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats junk! 3/8 chain cuts faster and I mean faster. Timed tests in the same wood. Load is load no matter what size chain your using.
Shep

Thats junk! 3/8 chain cuts faster and I mean faster. Timed tests in the same wood. Load is load no matter what size chain your using.
Shep

On saws that pull it with authority, that is 100% correct. I don't want to derail this thread, but with some smaller saws, .325 chain will cut faster than 3/8 chain. This is especially true with saws that like to run at higher RPM's. If the saw can pull 3/8, use it, but if it can't don't call the saw junk because it won't (in reference to Andy's post). My point is that not all saws should run 3/8 chain.

BTW, there is less load with .325 chain compared to 3/8. Simple math.

There is a functional difference between a spoiler on an Indy car and your mom's Honda Civic. :)

Last edited:
No offence PB, but that is just flat out wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shep

Nothing is carved in stone regarding what will cut faster, it will vary with a lot of factors. :msp_rolleyes:

On saws that pull it with authority, that is 100% correct. I don't want to derail this thread, but with some smaller saws, .325 chain will cut faster than 3/8 chain. This is especially true with saws that like to run at higher RPM's. If the saw can pull 3/8, use it, but if it can't don't call the saw junk because it won't (in reference to Andy's post). My point is that not all saws should run 3/8 chain.

BTW, there is less load with .325 chain compared to 3/8. Simple math.

There is a functional difference between a spoiler on an Indy car and your mom's Honda Civic. :)

PB I think you jumped on me without fully reading my previous post.

Read my post again! I said 50cc saws,not all saws. Obviously small saws under 45cc normally run better with low pro 3/8 or .325. I still don't want a 50cc saw that can't handle 3/8 chain as it makes my pecker look bigger. Yes that's the only reason I run 3/8 chain, nothing to do with how 3/8 cuts or the fact I have a lot of 3/8 chain.:dizzy:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back