Dolmar 5100s refused warranty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I personally think that most of the issues with 5100's blowing up are from being set to lean. I know that Andyshine have a very bad run with the 5100 and I'm confident that his issues were different but mine has been great. I check the SN # and mine was made Aug of 2006. I have quite a bit of time on the saw, my FIL and BIL have run it and I even handed it to a retired doctor (when he was running a Husky 345 with a chain so dull I was worried he would blow it up when we were doing some neighborhood storm cleanup) and it has not had one issue. I run 91 octane non-ethonol and Stihl Ultra mix, check the spark plug to make sure it is not running lean every few tanks, keep a sharp chain and a clean filter and no issues.

I don't know about that, he didn't have any in his store.But I thought if he's already trying to get out of warranty work before I even buy the saw, I ain't doing it.

I agree, I wouldn't have bought from him. But I would have called his BS and made him show me where found that requirement in Dolmar's documentation.

I personally think that most of the issues with 5100's blowing up are from being set to lean. I know that Andyshine have a very bad run with the 5100 and I'm confident that his issues were different but mine has been great. I check the SN # and mine was made Aug of 2006. I have quite a bit of time on the saw, my FIL and BIL have run it and I even handed it to a retired doctor (when he was running a Husky 345 with a chain so dull I was worried he would blow it up when we were doing some neighborhood storm cleanup) and it has not had one issue. I run 91 octane non-ethonol and Stihl Ultra mix, check the spark plug to make sure it is not running lean every few tanks, keep a sharp chain and a clean filter and no issues.
\

A problem with a saw should never be thought of in the context of all or nothing. Every early 5100 is certainly not going to blow up. Not even close. A problem becomes a big deal as the failure rate goes up. Even something like 5% is considered gigantic in this regard, as that would be 1 out of every 20 saws going bang. On a site like this, something like that would quickly grow into "they're all burning up". The early 5100's did have enough issues that it would fall into the serious category, but there are plenty out there that haven't, and probably never will toast themselves.

Back to the OP, he certainly sounds like he got one with the "issues", and it sounds to me like it should be warranty, but I'd never be able to say for sure unless it was on my bench. Any dealer can, and should go to bat for the customer when it's obviously the proper thing to do. But some companies are much more receptive to that than others.

Back to the OP, he certainly sounds like he got one with the "issues", and it sounds to me like it should be warranty, but I'd never be able to say for sure unless it was on my bench. Any dealer can, and should go to bat for the customer when it's obviously the proper thing to do. But some companies are much more receptive to that than others.[/QUOTE]

+1

I think the dealer should do more for the OP.

\

A problem with a saw should never be thought of in the context of all or nothing. Every early 5100 is certainly not going to blow up. Not even close. A problem becomes a big deal as the failure rate goes up. Even something like 5% is considered gigantic in this regard, as that would be 1 out of every 20 saws going bang. On a site like this, something like that would quickly grow into "they're all burning up".

Agreed. The 5100S was prone to issues more than usual, but even if it was as high as 5%, that still means that 19 out of every 20 saws sold were fine. Dolmar did what they did to skirt around the EPA and it bit them with that one saw. Incompetent dealers didn't help the situation any... and if the OP's case in any indication, seems they still aren't.

\

A problem with a saw should never be thought of in the context of all or nothing. Every early 5100 is certainly not going to blow up. Not even close. A problem becomes a big deal as the failure rate goes up. Even something like 5% is considered gigantic in this regard, as that would be 1 out of every 20 saws going bang. On a site like this, something like that would quickly grow into "they're all burning up". The early 5100's did have enough issues that it would fall into the serious category, but there are plenty out there that haven't, and probably never will toast themselves.

Back to the OP, he certainly sounds like he got one with the "issues", and it sounds to me like it should be warranty, but I'd never be able to say for sure unless it was on my bench. Any dealer can, and should go to bat for the customer when it's obviously the proper thing to do. But some companies are much more receptive to that than others.

Just stating what a local rep told me in person.:) I personally had four 5100's when they first came out, two of them wouldn't run at all, bad coils. The other two were sucking air, no carb sealing rings. I also had one that wouldn't idle down after making long cuts, an overheating issue. At the Ohio gtg last month our host had a 5100 sitting out with the clutch and oil pump removed, the bearing was spinning in the case with zero resistance, the bearing itself was fine.

Look I know a few people really like these saws, but they had or have major design issues. I've literally seen in person more of them not running than running. On top of all that Dolmar seemed to make up excuses to get out of warrantying these things, it hurt Dolmar big time. The three dealers In my area dropped Dolmer because of the 5100 + slow sales.

I forgot to mention the intake boot spring clamps would slip off as well, causing an air leak.:dizzy:

At the Ohio gtg last month our host had a 5100 sitting out with the clutch and oil pump removed, the bearing was spinning in the case with zero resistance, the bearing itself was fine.

I had a dealer (old guy who has been selling Dolmar for over 30 years) tell me that many of those bearings spun in the case were from running 3/8 chain. He claimed that his pulpwood cutters would have more issues when running the 3/8 than the .325 and that is what he attributes many of the spuns bearing to. I'm sure that is anicdotal evidence and may sound a little hoaky but that seems all we ever have to go on here.

At the Ohio gtg last month our host had a 5100 sitting out with the clutch and oil pump removed, the bearing was spinning in the case with zero resistance, the bearing itself was fine.

I had a dealer (old guy who has been selling Dolmar for over 30 years) tell me that many of those bearings spun in the case were from running 3/8 chain. He claimed that his pulpwood cutters would have more issues when running the 3/8 than the .325 and that is what he attributes many of the spuns bearing to. I'm sure that is anicdotal evidence and may sound a little hoaky but that seems all we ever have to go on here.

Sorry but what your dealer said is absurd and is simply one more of many lame excuses. The 5100's almost always came with 3/8 chain, and if a 50cc saw cant' run 3/8 chain it's a useless saw.

I would move up the chain to Dolmar corporate.

This.

I had a similar problem with my original 5100. I was told "too bad, so sad" by my (now ex) dealer and the BC Rep. I went to Dolmar Canada & within a month I had a brand-spanking new 5100. Be thorough & prove to them that you know what you are doing with saws & I would be surprised if you dont get a positive resolution.

My original 5100 had some sort of air-flow problem. The new one seems fine (3 years later & counting) but Im still somewhat cautious about it just in case (tuning more often than my other saws & using a tach religiously). That said I think it still may be my favorite small saw.

Sorry but what your dealer said is absurd and is simply one more of many lame excuses. The 5100's almost always came with 3/8 chain, and if a 50cc saw cant' run 3/8 chain it's a useless saw.

Dealer is different for sure. I understand your fustration, your history of misery with the 5100 is well documented. Cheers. :cheers:

Dolmar do se do

Hey there -here's an update

So once again I called Dolmar and they redirected me to API after (this time) providing Terry Green's name.

Dolmar told me they were told Bill @ (API) had already contacted me (he had not).

I spoke with Bill at API. He explained based on the photo's that Dolmar refused the warranty (Here we go again).

I asked him if he was aware of the problem with theses saws, and he said yes. I explained to him that I followed ALL manufacturer guidelines provided in the manual.

He started to state that maybe I didn't mix the ratio correct.. and I informed him I did and have been cutting for 25+ years.

I informed him I am starting to collect data on defective 5100 and the like and will be posting to this forum and **********

He offered to send the defective parts from the dealer to Dolmar for further evaluation, presumably to Terry Green.

Additionally I followed up with the dealer and he is sending the parts to Dolmar.

It's been almost two months. Its aggravating, but I will play along..for now.

Thanks for all your help.

Elg

Ive read the same story many times since joining this site, i couldnt bring myself to buy a new Dolmar because of it, right or wrong, any model. To not like a saw because its heavy, unbalanced, ugly, lacks power, homeowner model or otherwise is one thing but one that self destructs with the track record of that particular model is just not very appealing.

So once again I called Dolmar and they redirected me to API after (this time) providing Terry Green's name.

Dolmar told me they were told Bill @ (API) had already contacted me (he had not).

I spoke with Bill at API. He explained based on the photo's that Dolmar refused the warranty (Here we go again).

I asked him if he was aware of the problem with theses saws, and he said yes. I explained to him that I followed ALL manufacturer guidelines provided in the manual.

He started to state that maybe I didn't mix the ratio correct.. and I informed him I did and have been cutting for 25+ years.

I informed him I am starting to collect data on defective 5100 and the like and will be posting to this forum and **********

He offered to send the defective parts from the dealer to Dolmar for further evaluation, presumably to Terry Green.

Additionally I followed up with the dealer and he is sending the parts to Dolmar.

Elg

I find this sadly amusing. I was given the same exact runaround and BS, almost word for word in some cases. I spoke with Terry and he honestly came off as a jerk, everything was all my fault even though he acknowledge they had big problems with the 5100. IMHO Dolmer is simply too small the eat a recall or cover all the warranties. I luckily know a dealer about an hour away that has some pull, he's has helped me out a few times.

Sorry to say but I wouldn't count on them helping you out.:msp_sad:

Last edited:
I find this sadly amusing. I was given the same exact runaround and BS, almost word for word in some cases. I spoke with Terry and he honestly came off as a jerk, everything was all my fault even though he acknowledge they had big problems with the 5100. 5100. IMHO Dolmer is simply too small the eat a recall an or all the warranties. I luckily know a dealer about an hour away that has some pull, he's has helped me out a few times.

Sorry to say but I wouldn't count on them helping you out.:msp_sad:

Right, going into denial mode isn't always the best way to get out of an embarrassing situation.......

Elg

Hrm. I looked back through my documentation & realize that I dealt with "Power Source Canada" - sounds like Dolmar is sending US inquiries to API and Canadian ones to PSC. It took only 2 correspondences with them to get the matter resolved & my saw replaced with a brand new unit. It sounds like API is playing hardball with you at this point which really sucks but I wouldnt give up just yet.

At the end of the day it makes more sense for them to take back your (likely still in great condition) saw, put a new top-end on it and sell as refurbished. You get a new saw & are happy, they cut their losses and dont lose a customer with a large network of friends who are potential customers too. The problem is convincing them of this. Sounds like API is tougher than PSC.

Just stating what a local rep told me in person.:) I personally had four 5100's when they first came out, two of them wouldn't run at all, bad coils. The other two were sucking air, no carb sealing rings. I also had one that wouldn't idle down after making long cuts, an overheating issue. At the Ohio gtg last month our host had a 5100 sitting out with the clutch and oil pump removed, the bearing was spinning in the case with zero resistance, the bearing itself was fine.

Look I know a few people really like these saws, but they had or have major design issues. I've literally seen in person more of them not running than running. On top of all that Dolmar seemed to make up excuses to get out of warrantying these things, it hurt Dolmar big time. The three dealers In my area dropped Dolmer because of the 5100 + slow sales.

I forgot to mention the intake boot spring clamps would slip off as well, causing an air leak.:dizzy:

Wow, I would say that's a bit higher than 5%, isn't it? That's a pretty awful track record; and if they are doing a duck and cover with the customers it makes it 10 times worse.

They have some decent saws, but they're just never going to be taken seriously with that approach.

Alot has to do with the different waranties for different areas. I haven't seen the actual saw on my bench, but honestly most dealers know nothing about saws nor do most of the techs they have working for them.

Vac/Pressure test results?

Carb settings set at?

fuel test at what % ethanol

etc......

Most likely none of that was done, the monkey just looked in the spark plug hole or cylinder and said she's done, without determining the cause.

Glad to hear you got a new saw.

Think of it this way...

How many people have been affected by Dolmar?

How many people are talking about a bad saw, a bad level of responsibility and an overall BAD company.

In reality they are reaping what they sow. Stihl, Husq and others have a good user base because those companies work with and support their dealers.

I know there are exceptions but, most people want a good product line and they want to stick with it. You learn about the gear you bought, get interested and

invested in the tools you use. You want it to work and maybe don't care what color it is, but you know the name and you know where to get parts etc..

I had an 031AV that was given to me by my Grandfather. When it had gone to meet its maker (30+ years later) I thought I'd treat myself.

30+ years vs.7 months!! I am disgusted and Gramp is probably pissed too!

So far, I've done all the leg work and ultimately I either end up with a working saw or I'll buy a worthy established competitor. I took a chance on dolmar based on some reviews and I am asking

them to make good and not have me regret my decision. If not, my new hobby will be making sure NO-ONE buys a Dolmar.

Elg-out

Latest posts

Back