Dolmar 6100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$575 list with 20".

Check out the IPL on the Dolmar web site. It looks like the strato air intake is controlled by some sort of reed valve on the cylinder.

$575 list with 20".

Check out the IPL on the Dolmar web site. It looks like the strato air intake is controlled by some sort of reed valve on the cylinder.

Good grief... If there's a reed valve involved, I'm not sure I want anything to do with it!!!??

C'mon Niko!!!
Get one... Take it apart...
And show us what's in there...
For the good of the community...
:msp_biggrin:

Judging from the weight, right side carb adjust, handle, and overall look it's much more similar to a 5105 and appears built on a 5105 type frame.

So putting a bigger jug on a 5105 ?

too bad I'm fully equipped
No, this is a platform all of its own, it just has the 'family look' of the other Dolmars.

And...it's a shame you are. :msp_wink: I have a 420, 6400, 7300 and 7900...and that 6100 has me thinking of filling the gap.

No, this is a platform all of its own, it just has the 'family look' of the other Dolmars.

And...it's a shame you are. :msp_wink: I have a 420, 6400, 7300 and 7900...and that 6100 has me thinking of filling the gap.

what gap? that 50cc gap you need a 5100/5105 for? your 60cc gap is already filled with the 6400/6401... :confused:

Yea reed valve doesn't sound too appealing to me either. who knows though. Dolmar has always been known for solid reliable chainsaws so maybe they are ok... only time will tell and hopefully the kinks will be worked out by the European market...

After testing and running this new PS-6100 it is going to be a great runner It is FASTER than the PS-6400 also Lighter it holds a huge amount of fuel so that is great as well. Yes this is a New Platform and design they have been working on it for a while now and its time for Dolmar to release this new platform saw that will be accompanied by others off this same design. We had 2 of them We ran at Boonville and they were a hit for all that ran them.

Scott

I just looked and it's not reed valve. What he was seeing appears to be a large butterfly Fir the strato ports. The design doesn't make much sense really. Hate to say the strato ports won't be able to be removed.

After testing and running this new PS-6100 it is going to be a great runner It is FASTER than the PS-6400 also Lighter it holds a huge amount of fuel so that is great as well. Yes this is a New Platform and design they have been working on it for a while now and its time for Dolmar to release this new platform saw that will be accompanied by others off this same design. We had 2 of them We ran at Boonville and they were a hit for all that ran them.
Scott

Great! You ready to send out out to the Midwest for endurance testing? :msp_w00t:

Wonder if there will be a blue 6101 model?

My god, amazing how much misinformation can develop in so fast of time.

The consensus sofar over here is that it runs faster than the 6400 except in really big wood. Is prefered by many troops over the 7900 because it just weighs a chunk less and you don't have to carry in the forest the big extra amount of fuel that the 7900 inhales. As all strato saws it sips on fuel which is nice combined with the very large tank. Might not be as fast as the 562 but costs ~40% less! Typical pro Dolmar build quality.

Well four stroke in a saw is a risk at first, bit with the emphasis on clean burning and fuel economy, I dare say, its probably in the future for saws like it was for dirt bikes. Someone will probably figure it out just like electronics in saws. It will be a bigger challange though. Probably have old school torque as well.we are already seeing a trend toward wider torque curves vs high RPM in the new saw designs.well for stock saws anyway. And we all know four strokes can RPM just look at a Yamaha R6. And to the naysayers, which are probably numerous, I would lament the passing of two strokes as much as anyone.

Scott

I've only seen the web page so far, but as soon as my guy gets one in, it might be my next saw. I like that they went with the single control switch of the smaller saws. I was disappointed when the -10 saws came out with the old style controls. The air filter seems to be a nod toward the popularity of the HD filter setup on the big saws as well.

Bigger tank? My 420 and 5100 run longer than this outta shape firewooder cares to on a tank of fuel already. I also don't really get all warm and fuzzy over the easy start system.

70 or even 80cc on this platform could be VERY interesting...

70 or even 80cc on this platform could be VERY interesting...

not holding my breath on that... they aren't even carrying a 90cc over here anymore and the 7910 hasn't been out long enough for them to be replacing it already...

just my 2 cents

Really like 420 switch and the big boy air filter.Would have to get my hands on one before I commit.Is it going to be that much better than a 156/165 Efco or a 2260 Jonsered or Husky equivalent?I think for it to be a hit it has to be as much better than its competition as the 420/421 is to it's.Even if it doesn't have the chain speed of some of the other saws if it holds that speed in the cut without bogging it will make a great REAL WORLD saw.

what gap? that 50cc gap you need a 5100/5105 for? your 60cc gap is already filled with the 6400/6401... :confused:

I disagree. The 5105 is an awesome 18", capable 20". But you jump 51 to 64cc and to a saw that is a died in the wool 24". You don't have the gap of a super strong 20, capable to 24" that is more nimble than the 64cc. For example, you have the 562xp and the 365.

Well four stroke in a saw is a risk at first, bit with the emphasis on clean burning and fuel economy, I dare say, its probably in the future for saws like it was for dirt bikes. Someone will probably figure it out just like electronics in saws. It will be a bigger challange though. Probably have old school torque as well.we are already seeing a trend toward wider torque curves vs high RPM in the new saw designs.well for stock saws anyway. And we all know four strokes can RPM just look at a Yamaha R6. And to the naysayers, which are probably numerous, I would lament the passing of two strokes as much as anyone.

Dolmar do have a working prototype 4 stroke chainsaw in the lab, but it would cost too much at market right now is the story. Now, they have GREAT 4 stroke trimmers and blowers, and the new concrete saw is impending (actually on the market in blue already)...so, maybe one day. As you say, torque has been 'discovered' of late, especially in new vehicles. Motor Trend et al have had many words on it. I would love to see a CC equivalent 2/3 stroke chainsaw face-off. For example, a 13,500 no load RPM 2 stroke drops to say 9500 in the cut. So...let's say a 4 stroke with rated 9500 top RPM actually HOLDS that number in the cut due to increased torque...What's gonna happen? And how many years would we hear Saw Troll bang on about the Husqy having 4000 more RPM on paper? :msp_razz:

I disagree. The 5105 is an awesome 18", capable 20". But you jump 51 to 64cc and to a saw that is a died in the wool 24". You don't have the gap of a super strong 20, capable to 24" that is more nimble than the 64cc. For example, you have the 562xp and the 365.

Why do you say the 6400 is dyed in the wool 24 in. A saw of this size is usually considered a 20 in saw it just happens this one has the nades to pull a 24 all day.:rock: They are a great stock saw. If a person has never ran a 7900 they are a great saw. Very a interested in a 6100.

Latest posts

Back