Dolmar (my work saw) all cleaned up, pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe25DA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I haven't had a hardly a second in my shop. With a newborn and both of us working full time (2 jobs for me) I have barely touched a saw. Things are getting easier now and I decided to do a good clean up on my Dolmar PS540. I bought this saw new in '06. This was before I found out about AS, my Dads S25DA wouldnt start, I knew nothing about saws and the shops refused to fix it (I since have and it runs like new). I was planning on buying an MS290 when my repair shop asked me about Dolmars. Id never heard of them. He told me it was much better built than the F/B and about the same price. AT this time the 540s were being phased out, it was replaced by the 5100, lower ccs but higher revving. They had a great deal at that time. For $360 I got the saw, 2 16" .325 bars and chains, case, scabbard, and tool set. A year later I put an 18" bar on it then last year I upgraded to a 3/8" rim, and a 16" Oregon Power Match PLUS bar and chain. I like this combo much better than the .325.I also replaced the flock filter with a washable mesh one and remove the spark arrestor It has its fair share of hours, for a month straight I used it every day for at least 8hrs a day doing emergency storm cleanup. We had a bad Ice storm and trees were EVERYWHERE, help a lot of people and paid for that saw about 6 times over.
Its a very well built saw, made at a time when the "farm" saws were pro built with mag cases, adjustable oilers and just built over all better, the saw is an '04 and back then Husky and Poulan were still making the 55 and PP330, both very good saws replaced by cheaper ones.
I still use it a lot but with the amont of saws I have now it isnt as much as before. I should have bought 2 :).
DSCF0645.jpg

DSCF0646.jpg

Cool Pre-Filter
DSCF0643.jpg

DSCF0644.jpg

All it came with except the bar on it now and the 18"
DSCF0647.jpg

Price new
DSCF0648.jpg

Nice saw. I gave my first saw to my son. He immediately lost it. Stupid on my part.

I just picked one of these up pretty cheap and not nearly as nice as urs for $50. Just the power head too.. no bars or chains with the one I got... The P&C in mine looks nice and shinny with no scoring so hoping a carb clean and new fuel lines will do the trick!

The 540 was a cheaper alternative to the 115, that actually was the saw that was replaced by the 5000/5100.

thats interesting. mine has '04 stamped into it. i know it is an '80s design. i enjoy running it. ive used it next to my cousins 290 and its just a better saw imo.
what year did they stop making them?

I just picked one of these up pretty cheap and not nearly as nice as urs for $50. Just the power head too.. no bars or chains with the one I got... The P&C in mine looks nice and shinny with no scoring so hoping a carb clean and new fuel lines will do the trick!

they are designed well and as a result are easy to work on.

I have a 1997 Dolmar 111i that was given to me by the local dealer. It didn't run and was covered in a few years worth of grime.

It is a nice runner now. I cleaned it up and put a new tilly in it. It has a new bar now.

Dolmar111i.jpg

Dolmar111i1997.jpg

Sweet looking those old Dolmars are. Part of the reason I can't seem to part with my 6800i.

You've got yourself a sweet little saw there, Joe.

Back