Dolmar (my work saw) all cleaned up, pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the blue version of the 540. I liked and thought it compared well with an 026, being a little heavier and having it power a bit lower in the rev band. I would grab one in a minute if I needed a 50cc saw and there was no such thing as a 346.
attachment.php

...but there happen to be....:D

I had a small Dolmar in the early 1990's it was about the size of my 254 Husky but it cut faster than the Husky.What model could that have been I can no way remember?

Would be interesting to know what that was, even the 115iH surely wouldn't do that, so it would have to be one that was more cc and quite a bit heavier than the 254xp.....

...but there happen to be....:D

I bought a couple of the Makita DCS 540s when they were being closed out (2008 or 2009). They may have been returns, but were sold as "refurbished" and looked like they had never seen fuel or oil. I used one a bit, but it didn't seem to have any more power than my clunky :censored:290, so it went on the shelf. I later MMed a DCS 401 and it really woke that little saw up.:chainsaw: Today I got the 540 out, put some fresh fuel in, and started it up. It was sluggish just like I remembered, and I had adjusted the carb. After pulling the muffler, I cut out the bent in tab from the front (under the screen) and then opened a hole in the "cage" inside the muffler. I washed and blew it out with air, reassembled, and fired it back up. The idle seemed faster (misplaced my tach) and throttle response was far crisper. I let it warm up and then had at a 20"+ dry cherry log. The 18" bar with 72LGX was buried and there was no bogging. This thing will eat my 346XPs lunch!:msp_scared:

For sure they are well built saws, and I'll be reaching for this one rather than leaving it behind.

Wanted to share some pics of my Sachs Dolmar 120si. I had a moment of bad judgement and decided I would offer it for sale in the classifieds so I could get a 562xp. I got it out and cleaned it last night. I realized it was just to nice to sell. Stickers, lettering, everything is still there- has to be low hour. On top of that it has been "masterminded". I knew it would be a mistake to start it up. Three pulls and it was screaming. Burped the throttle and let it burble- sexy as my 288 idle. Snapped out of my funk. No longer gonna be for sale.:rock:

I have a couple of these things setting around for when I need them.

Dolmar7900HDrtft.jpg

The Dolmar 6800i and the Dolmar 120Si are very much alike. They are both 68cc and both have the Tillotson carbs with the injector choke.

The Dolmar 6000i is 60cc but otherwise pretty much the same.

There was a 116Si that compared with the 6000i

The older plain 120 was a excellent chainsaw but was only 61cc instead of 68cc. There were a couple different Tillotson's and a Walbro carb that were on these over the years.

The plain 120 came out somewhere in the late 70's

The 120Si came out in 1987?

The 6000i/6800i replaced the 116Si/120Si in 1997

The 6400, 7300, & 7900 replaced the 6000i & 6800i along about 2003?

The Dolmar 540

I don't remember just when the 540 came out but it was the finale of a family of chainsaws that Dolmar had made since the mid 80's.

Getting back to the original post . . .

The Dolmar 540 family started along about 1985 with chainsaws like a 109, 110, 111, & 115.

Some models were open port and the 110/115 were closed port in the beginning. The closed port/open port factor became muddled later on? For my later model 111i has a closed port cylinder.

The 111/115 were 52cc and the 109/110 were 43 cc.

1997 was a big re-design year for Dolmar and this chainsaw family was re-designed along with the others but for the time being they kept the number designations the same not like with the 116S & 120s chainsaws which became the 6000i and 6800i.

Therefore, the 111/115 chainsaws from 1997 - on, looked different (mainly around the top handle/brake lever area) from the earlier ones.

The 111i had a 15" bar and some had .325 with a 8 cog rim. The 115i was closer to 18". Others had 3/8" pitch with a 7 cog rim.

Though the 540 was made almost exactly like the 115, greater performance wasn't there from the extra 2cc. Something about the porting?

I bought a couple of the Makita DCS 540s when they were being closed out (2008 or 2009). They may have been returns, but were sold as "refurbished" and looked like they had never seen fuel or oil. I used one a bit, but it didn't seem to have any more power than my clunky :censored:290, so it went on the shelf. I later MMed a DCS 401 and it really woke that little saw up.:chainsaw: Today I got the 540 out, put some fresh fuel in, and started it up. It was sluggish just like I remembered, and I had adjusted the carb. After pulling the muffler, I cut out the bent in tab from the front (under the screen) and then opened a hole in the "cage" inside the muffler. I washed and blew it out with air, reassembled, and fired it back up. The idle seemed faster (misplaced my tach) and throttle response was far crisper. I let it warm up and then had at a 20"+ dry cherry log. The 18" bar with 72LGX was buried and there was no bogging. This thing will eat my 346XPs lunch!:msp_scared:

For sure they are well built saws, and I'll be reaching for this one rather than leaving it behind.

Yeah!, but it won't cure cancer.:msp_razz:

I don't remember just when the 540 came out but it was the finale of a family of chainsaws that Dolmar had made since the mid 80's.

Getting back to the original post . . .

The Dolmar 540 family started along about 1985 with chainsaws like a 109, 110, 111, & 115.

Some models were open port and the 110/115 were closed port in the beginning. The closed port/open port factor became muddled later on? For my later model 111i has a closed port cylinder.

The 111/115 were 52cc and the 109/110 were 43 cc.

1997 was a big re-design year for Dolmar and this chainsaw family was re-designed along with the others but for the time being they kept the number designations the same not like with the 116S & 120s chainsaws which became the 6000i and 6800i.

Therefore, the 111/115 chainsaws from 1997 - on, looked different (mainly around the top handle/brake lever area) from the earlier ones.

The 111i had a 15" bar and some had .325 with a 8 cog rim. The 115i was closer to 18". Others had 3/8" pitch with a 7 cog rim.

Though the 540 was made almost exactly like the 115, greater performance wasn't there from the extra 2cc. Something about the porting?

Great info. Ive always been very happy with this saw, I got it in '04 pretty sure it was the last of them

Back