Dolmar PS352

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it will with the "new" combining under the makita name. I would guess they will not put a lot of resources to separate Web sites

Separate Dolmar websites have been going away lately, but at least they exist in Germany, Switzerland, and in the US.

None of them list the PS-352 though.

I have a feeling that Dolmar is a brand in trouble, and have been for a while?

Separate Dolmar websites have been going away lately, but at least they exist in Germany, Switzerland, and in the US.

None of them list the PS-352 though.

It has been known for sometime that Makita is going to let the brand name Dolmar die in many parts of the world.

WHY? Of course implementing a new brand name into the minds of people will cost WAY to much instead of using the existing one which is already widely known and VERY well respected!

Quite innovative, I have to wonder how many other ideas they have tried out, maybe patented. It makes the same power 1.7kw as a Dolmar ps351 but at more rpm. Makes less max torque and again max torque is at higher rpm. Same bore 0.4mm more stroke. At least the way It looks to me at this point.

In looking at the reed strato setup of the 6100 compared to the Zenoah/Husqvarna strato designs, one of the the things I noticed is that the carb was more conventionally sized (i.e. larger). With the Zenoah design the carb is very small, as relatively less air goes that way (enough to pick up the fuel), while it has a large air valve and the strato ports become the main air inlet. That led me to believe the Dolmar reed strato was not intended to have the strato ports flow a lot of air, rather just enough to load the transfer runners and reduce scavenging losses. It will be interesting to see what this one has in terms of carb size.

Quite innovative, I have to wonder how many other ideas they have tried out, maybe patented. It makes the same power 1.7kw as a Dolmar ps351 but at more rpm. Makes less max torque and again max torque is at higher rpm. Same bore 0.4mm more stroke. At least the way It looks to me at this point.

I believe the main point is that the 352 is much lighter than the 350 and 351, and that it has an outboard clutch = much better suited for the cc class.

I dont see it that way, they have introduced several new products(6100, 6114, ME 246.4, MS-27, LT-27) in the last couple years with several more(top handle, 352, and more) on the way. The Dolmar name is not widely known especially when compared to the Makita name. I dont like the Dolmar branding going away but it makes sense and i am willing to bet that once the changeover is complete that sales of "Makita" chainsaws will be much higher than what Dolmar was able to accomplish. On that same journey the Makita O P E market will be viewed more favorably because of the massive increase in parts/service centers that bringing Dolmar dealers into the fold created. Us Dolly dealers will very likely loose 0 sales because of the name change but could very easily gain sales because of the more widely known/recognized Makita name being implemented along with the national advertising that Makita will bring with it. Overall a Win, Win even if we are loosing the Dolmar name.

I believe the main point is that the 352 is much lighter than the 350 and 351, and that it has an outboard clutch = much better suited for the cc class.
not a fan of the outboard clutch even on these little saws but from what i have seen, this saw should not have the weight and size penalty that usually accompanies a Dolmar saw....while still retaining a split case that puts it a bit above the competition in that class

In looking at the reed strato setup of the 6100 compared to the Zenoah/Husqvarna strato designs, one of the the things I noticed is that the carb was more conventionally sized (i.e. larger). With the Zenoah design the carb is very small, as relatively less air goes that way (enough to pick up the fuel), while it has a large air valve and the strato ports become the main air inlet. That led me to believe the Dolmar reed strato was not intended to have the strato ports flow a lot of air, rather just enough to load the transfer runners and reduce scavenging losses. It will be interesting to see what this one has in terms of carb size.

Since Dolmar doesn't have access to use the Zenoah/Husky "strato" patents (Stihl does, at least partly), they had to "design around" them - which usually isn't optimal.

not a fan of the outboard clutch even on these little saws but from what i have seen, this saw should not have the weight and size penalty that usually accompanies a Dolmar saw....while still retaining a split case that puts it a bit above the competition in that class

An outboard clutch is an asset in several ways, the handling of the saw being the most important one, as the bar and chain is closer to the center of gravity of the powerhead.

Since Dolmar doesn't have access to use the Zenoah/Husky "strato" patents (Stihl does, at least partly), they had to "design around" them - which usually isn't optimal.
It doesn't function like a "work around" considering the 6100 is more fuel efficient as well as a better, broader power band then huskies closest (but way far behind) competition. Looks like they just found a better way to do it. Following others makes it hard to lead.

An outboard clutch is an asset in several ways, the handling of the saw being the most important one, as the bar and chain is closer to the center of gravity of the powerhead.
This again is not true. I own both out board and inboard saws and I do not see any improvement of handling. I do see how much more time it takes to swap chains, and how much more time it takes to clean an outboard clutch.
Here is a video with an inboard clutch saw limbing. How can an out board do better?

It doesn't function like a "work around" considering the 6100 is more fuel efficient as well as a better, broader power band then huskies closest (but way far behind) competition. Looks like they just found a better way to do it. Following others makes it hard to lead.

It doesn't look that way to me, they simply don't have the resources to stay at the front end of development.

This again is not true. I own both out board and inboard saws and I do not see any improvement of handling. I do see how much more time it takes to swap chains, and how much more time it takes to clean an outboard clutch.
Here is a video with an inboard clutch saw limbing. How can an out board do better?

What does a second or two really matter in a chain swap, or a rim swap? For all practical reasons, it just is theory,

Then there will be less stress on the crank-shaft and PTO crank bearing with an outboard, and better heat dispersion.

That's true. Husqvarna and Stihl don't have the resources to keep up. To bad they spend all their R&D money on advertising. [emoji106]

Wolter

You obviously are talking about Stihl, not Husky - but it doesn't help Dolmar that they are well behind at marketing as well as development.

Back