Dolmars/ Pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilson225

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had never heard this about dolmar until the other day....a timber guy stated that dolmar was not a pro saw because it only had the single ring and wouldn't hold up in heavy timber for many hours. ( I did know they were single ring ). You guys have any feed back on that one?

I had never heard this about dolmar until the other day....a timber guy stated that dolmar was not a pro saw because it only had the single ring and wouldn't hold up in heavy timber for many hours. ( I did know they were single ring ). You guys have any feed back on that one?

Thay are a single ring but the 7900 or the 9010 are both able to be used in heavy timber i have the 510 and a 7900 and i can use them all day without a problem. Dolmar is made in germany just like stihl and are just as good as stihl only cheaper priced. Their cheaper priced becouse when you buy a stihl you buy a very good saw (dont take me wrong) but just like john deere you pay for that green paint.

Hmmm...a 288XP is single ring, many many of them were used full time in the woods...

Thay are a single ring but the 7900 or the 9010 are both able to be used in heavy timber i have the 510 and a 7900 and i can use them all day without a problem. Dolmar is made in germany just like stihl and are just as good as stihl only cheaper priced. Their cheaper priced becouse when you buy a stihl you buy a very good saw (dont take me wrong) but just like john deere you pay for that green paint.

yeah, you got that "right " about green paint!

I guess a better question is: what is it about a single ring that makes one think it won't hold up in heavy timber. I've yet to read or hear anyone having problems, albeit I'm sure most forestry guys are using huskies or stihl, so I would think the "proving ground" for the 7900 is a little smaller.

I guess a better question is: what is it about a single ring that makes one think it won't hold up in heavy timber. I've yet to read or hear anyone having problems, albeit I'm sure most forestry guys are using huskies or stihl, so I would think the "proving ground" for the 7900 is a little smaller.

Look up on this site the forum called dual ringed pistons vs single ringed pistons you can probably find your answer their. it says in their that a single runs hotter but dolmar makes their saws to run a little hotter look at your dolmar ps 5105 for example the engine block is made out of a different type of material than a stihl its not lighter but more heat resistant than other materials
so one would probably think that a single ringed piston would over heat.
Hope i helped

he is FOSAACT...........i would take anything else that came out of his mouth with a huge dose of skepticism.

That is just plain BS, simple as that! :poop:

Try doing a search on dolmar 7900 and see what you come up with.

If he owns a 288 he just needs to hand over that home owner saw. Along with the 268,272,266, and so on. Those are some of the best saws ever made. Husqvarna hand their thinking cap on when they designed that line up.

Is two rings in a two cycle engine better than one? Your gut would say yes, two rings should deal with heat and ware a little better. With that said, I've seen two ring saws fail just like single rings do, no extra longevity with two rings IMHO. You overheat a saw you overheat a saw. You score one ring you score them all.

Wilson Dolmar makes some of the finest saws out there, have a few of them myself, and if you ever want to run one, just let me know. Edit. I see you already have a few Dolmar's what part of town are you in?

Last edited:
I would have to disagree. Using your explanation, I could digress and say that a water cooled engine is really no better than an air cooled engine. Since a water cooled engine can be seized from high heat just like an air cooled engine A piston with two thin rings will build power in a longer period of time and have better heat transfer. Just saying a piston with two rings will burn up just like a piston with one ring is a very general statement. We are not looking at conditions that burn up saws but normal operation temperatures. Look at engines that are on airplanes and outboard motors. They have thick compression rings to conduct heat away from the piston to help prevent critical failures.

I suspect that the reality is that two rings is more of an EPA thing than a durability thing - at least Husky has been known to use them only in EPA saws in the past......

I would have to disagree. Using your explanation, I could digress and say that a water cooled engine is really no better than an air cooled engine. Since a water cooled engine can be seized from high heat just like an air cooled engine A piston with two thin rings will build power in a longer period of time and have better heat transfer. Just saying a piston with two rings will burn up just like a piston with one ring is a very general statement. We are not looking at conditions that burn up saws but normal operation temperatures. Look at engines that are on airplanes and outboard motors. They have thick compression rings to conduct heat away from the piston to help prevent critical failures.

You're correct it was a very general statement, but than again we're dealing with low output engines as well. For performance thin rings are often the norm, at the cost of a bit of durability. However in a chainsaw application, I see little need for two rings IMHO. I haven't seen any difference in durability between one and two ring piston, as of now. Replacing a ring in a chainsaw is also a very easy and cheap task, it's simply a non issue in chainsaws IMHO.

I suspect that the reality is that two rings is more of an EPA thing than a durability thing - at least Husky has been known to use them only in EPA saws in the past......

Thats a good point! I have services all brands and have yet to see where dual rings offer more durability.

Dolmar makes HO/LO and Pro Saws like most others. Bet the guy has a Stihl license plate on the front of his truck. :msp_wink: Dolmars are good, I like mine, some of our guys use them. Just not a good dealer support around here. (As compared to Stihl and Husky)

The way I have always seen it, that a single ring piston produces less drag and is mostly found on high rpm saws like 13,000 and up rpms and dual ring pistons are on saws that produce under 13,000 rpms. A dual ring piston will hold the compression alot longer before rebuild is nessacery and less blowby. Most H.O. snowmobile 2 strokes have dual rings, any better not really just keeps the compression within specs alittle longer.

The way I have always seen it, that a single ring piston produces less drag and is mostly found on high rpm saws like 13,000 and up rpms and dual ring pistons are on saws that produce under 13,000 rpms. A dual ring piston will hold the compression alot longer before rebuild is nessacery and less blowby. Most H.O. snowmobile 2 strokes have dual rings, any better not really just keeps the compression within specs alittle longer.

Completely untrue. I have stock saws that run 14,400 with two rings and ported saws that run over 15,000. Again we are dealing with chainsaws not high output sled engines.

Back