Donating Chainsaws to the poor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

computeruser

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I saw another request on the local freecycle board seeking a chainsaw for a poor family that heats with wood. Their saw "broke" (haven't been able to figure out what the problem actually is with it yet), and they need a new one ASAP. Their story checks out and I'd like to help them out.

In the past, I have responded to these requests by simply giving away one of my unneeded saws - 80s vintage Homelites, Echos, etc - but now that I've given away all my unneeded, running saws I'm faced with the challenge of finding these folks a decent used saw or an alright new one. Checked out the pawn shops and a couple of the local saw shops today, nothing worth putting money out on.

Which gets to my question: assuming that you had to buy a new homeowner-grade saw for someone and didn't want to spend too much money on this donation, what would be the least crappy sort of saw to buy?

asb151 said:
A new Husky 350 can be had for $250-$270 on ebay. Is that more money than you had in mind?

That would be about twice what I had in mind. My local sources for $80 factory refurbished Homelite Bandits (which actually aren't too bad as donation saws, in my experience) seems to have dried up. I checked out the pawn shops today but for the couple decent saws they had they were unwilling to move enough on price.

I could see spending up to $150, but not more, and I think that they need more than a MS170, if only in bar length. Which pretty much leaves me in the awful world of big-box/sears chainsaws...

The local Harbor Freight store sells refurbished Homelites for about $100. Also, Sears service centers(not the department store) sell Craftsman/Poulan saws for about the same price. I'd lean towards the Craftsman; lesser of two evils.

computeruser said:
That would be about twice what I had in mind. My local sources for $80 factory refurbished Homelite Bandits (which actually aren't too bad as donation saws, in my experience) seems to have dried up. I checked out the pawn shops today but for the couple decent saws they had they were unwilling to move enough on price.

I could see spending up to $150, but not more, and I think that they need more than a MS170, if only in bar length. Which pretty much leaves me in the awful world of big-box/sears chainsaws...

DISCLAIMER: cynical social worker here...

have you thought about seeing if the "broke" saw can be mended?

often i deal with situations where what was "broke" got pawned... or what "broke" miraculously works after the new one gets pawned... overall, might be a better use of funds to provide an amount of wood and get the old one fixed...

my primary philosophy: don't just hand over a fish, teach to fish...

in this situation, perhaps they left fuel in the saw... or whatever minor issues make a saw just not work... (ignorant of saws, semi-knowledgeable about people)

Trinity Honoria said:

often i deal with situations where what was "broke" got pawned... or what "broke" miraculously works after the new one gets pawned... overall, might be a better use of funds to provide an amount of wood and get the old one fixed...

in this situation, perhaps they left fuel in the saw... or whatever minor issues make a saw just not work... (ignorant of saws, semi-knowledgeable about people)

I agree with your disclaimer. The info I have suggests that these folks are on the up-and-up. I do know that a lot of folks pull some tricky stuff like you mention, but have conditioned my offer of assistance on seeing their broken saw first. We'll see how that goes...

computeruser said:
I saw another request on the local freecycle board seeking a chainsaw for a poor family that heats with wood. Their saw "broke" (haven't been able to figure out what the problem actually is with it yet), and they need a new one ASAP. Their story checks out and I'd like to help them out.

In the past, I have responded to these requests by simply giving away one of my unneeded saws - 80s vintage Homelites, Echos, etc - but now that I've given away all my unneeded, running saws I'm faced with the challenge of finding these folks a decent used saw or an alright new one. Checked out the pawn shops and a couple of the local saw shops today, nothing worth putting money out on.

Which gets to my question: assuming that you had to buy a new homeowner-grade saw for someone and didn't want to spend too much money on this donation, what would be the least crappy sort of saw to buy?

Let us know if you are looking for a saw. I have one I would be willing to give. It is a poulan 3314 I would throw in a 16 inch bar and 4 used but sharp chains.

Trinity Honoria said:

I've given away quite a bit of stuff on freecycle before and have to say I agree.

Around here lots and lots of people use it to stock their garage sales. I've happened across books that I gave away at the person I gave them to's garage sale.;) I figure people that need the money that badly and are actually willing to do the work to come get the stuff, clean it up and then put it out on the lawn are OK in my book but I don't know how I'd feel if I gave somebody a chainsaw and they turned around and pawned it.

Locally we have a a non-profit agency that assists low income, rural people to buy heating oil, firewood, and insulate/winterize their homes. I'm thinking next winter I may donate to them a bunch of running, cheap saws that they could then pass along. The recipients of the program have to meet pretty exacting and detailed criteria/application so I think most of the saws would really be put to good use. Do you have a program like that? It would also help you out. By donating to a non-profit you could take a tax write off on the value of the chainsaws.

In the spirit of Christmas I'm bringing a thread back from the dead.

UPDATE: It seems that the folks who received the donation chainsaw no longer have it in a running condition, and on top of that are ill-prepared for the winter burning season. In the intervening time I sent them some extra parts for their 024 which is now dead, as I understand it. So they're without a means to cut wood, without enough wood to get by on for this season, and have resorted to cutting boards and small logs with a circular saw. And if that wasn't trouble enough, as I understand it their electricity is about to be shut off.

I don't know them well enough to say for sure how much of this is bad luck and how much is bad planning/bad choices, but either way they're gonna be cold this winter if something isn't done. And while I can't solve everybody's problems, I can run a chainsaw!

So on this coming Saturday Caseyforrest and I, along with at least one other friend of mine, are going out to their couple acres to drop and block up a large standing dead tree and whatever else they have around that needs blocking up. We're also going to take them a trailer load of better logs that should be ready-to-burn as soon as they're split. So hopefully this will solve the heat problem for the time being.

You are a good man Brandon. If these folks have trouble keeping a saw running then perhaps you could leave them with an axe and/or a bow saw for emergency use. That providing they could physically use one. It would certainly warm up the user.

In the spirit of Christmas I'm bringing a thread back from the dead.

UPDATE: It seems that the folks who received the donation chainsaw no longer have it in a running condition, and on top of that are ill-prepared for the winter burning season. In the intervening time I sent them some extra parts for their 024 which is now dead, as I understand it. So they're without a means to cut wood, without enough wood to get by on for this season, and have resorted to cutting boards and small logs with a circular saw. And if that wasn't trouble enough, as I understand it their electricity is about to be shut off.

I don't know them well enough to say for sure how much of this is bad luck and how much is bad planning/bad choices, but either way they're gonna be cold this winter if something isn't done. And while I can't solve everybody's problems, I can run a chainsaw!

So on this coming Saturday Caseyforrest and I, along with at least one other friend of mine, are going out to their couple acres to drop and block up a large standing dead tree and whatever else they have around that needs blocking up. We're also going to take them a trailer load of better logs that should be ready-to-burn as soon as they're split. So hopefully this will solve the heat problem for the time being.

Tried to give you rep, but must have recently. You are a good person, and commend you for your actions. As well as Caseyforrest. It is that time of year.

I seen an ad asking for a saw that was stolen from a house to have it returned because the husband got laid off from work and now they don't have a means to cut firewood. Like you said, I have lots of saws and now they have my Echo. I tried to give it to them but they insisted on giving it back when they are done, truly good deserving people.

Computeruser, here is to your selflessness and helping out people in need. :cheers: :cheers:

Tried to give you rep, but must have recently. You are a good person, and commend you for your actions. As well as Caseyforrest.
Computeruser, here is to your selflessness and helping out people in need. :cheers: :cheers:
And some more :cheers: for you gents!~
Sounds like maybe they need a quick 'how to maintain a saw' too ;D

Good on y'all!

I would come help if it was closer..

Just make sure they are out there to help./. I am a firm believer in helping those that will help themselves,., Bless you two.

Latest posts

Back