Donating Chainsaws to the poor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelite Super XL

I saw another request on the local freecycle board seeking a chainsaw for a poor family that heats with wood. Their saw "broke" (haven't been able to figure out what the problem actually is with it yet), and they need a new one ASAP. Their story checks out and I'd like to help them out.

In the past, I have responded to these requests by simply giving away one of my unneeded saws - 80s vintage Homelites, Echos, etc - but now that I've given away all my unneeded, running saws I'm faced with the challenge of finding these folks a decent used saw or an alright new one. Checked out the pawn shops and a couple of the local saw shops today, nothing worth putting money out on.

Which gets to my question: assuming that you had to buy a new homeowner-grade saw for someone and didn't want to spend too much money on this donation, what would be the least crappy sort of saw to buy?

Hi ,I have a Homelite Super XL
They can have if u pay for shipping. It runs good and has a new 20 inch bar and sharp chain on it.
Every once in awhile everyone needs a little help. Merry Chirstmas!!!!!

Hi ,I have a Homelite Super XL
They can have if u pay for shipping. It runs good and has a new 20 inch bar and sharp chain on it.
Every once in awhile everyone needs a little help. Merry Chirstmas!!!!!

Merry Christmas to you as well cost3452!!:cheers:

You people are nutty why in the world would you donate a good saw?? I mean yes I am poor I will most likely need a new saw soon but I will work for it just handing a saw out wont solve the problem especially if the person is not able to maintain the saw (isn't that what happened to the last one?). The best idea I have heard yet is getting a group of people together and going up to the persons house and helping them get the wood they need and not just handing them a saw. I am actually thinking of trying to talk to some of the local churches around here to see if they would want me to help them with a project like that. I mean if they can't lift the logs or help split them at least have them make every one dinner (people provide the food the person cooks it) I can't grasp the idea of just handing out a saw but I can grasp the idea of a saw being handed to a church that goes out and processes wood for the poor.

The green tandem is Kris' trailer, and the black single is mine, which was purchased from a local trailer fabrication company. Kris fabbed up the tandem himself (well, with me there to drink Coke and BS) last winter.

I will, but I'll make it an Off Topic thread once I have a bit of time. Probably over Christmas break. Too busy right now with work and finishing up the semester's schoolwork and all that, and I'd like to give the issue the time it deserves. Oh, and on top of everything else that keeps me occupied, as of Tuesday we've added a new puppy to the family (which already consisted of a wife, a golden, a black pug, an old cat, and a 6month old kitten):

Vinnie.jpg

Thanks for the offer! I think we'll be set as soon as I fire up the grinder and touch up a few loops tomorrow evening. But if you wanted to come by and sharpen all my loops that I've put off sharpening all summer, well, I might have to take you up on that! I've got a couple 135dl loops that could do for some attention... :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, I support you - better err on that side than on the other one - if you still need 50$, just send me a Pay-Pal adress, or whatever it is called....:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

You people are nutty why in the world would you donate a good saw?? I mean yes I am poor I will most likely need a new saw soon but I will work for it just handing a saw out wont solve the problem especially if the person is not able to maintain the saw (isn't that what happened to the last one?). The best idea I have heard yet is getting a group of people together and going up to the persons house and helping them get the wood they need and not just handing them a saw. I am actually thinking of trying to talk to some of the local churches around here to see if they would want me to help them with a project like that. I mean if they can't lift the logs or help split them at least have them make every one dinner (people provide the food the person cooks it) I can't grasp the idea of just handing out a saw but I can grasp the idea of a saw being handed to a church that goes out and processes wood for the poor.

I was just given a truck ,I,m just returning a good deed
What goes around comes around.
It doesn't matter if the chainsaw is sold for beer or not
It's how it makes me feel ,trying to help another.
Besides whats wrong with a cold beer on Chirstmas!!!!
Merry Chirstmas

Horse Hockey!

Something just came to mind. I work at a kitchen that is owned by a Croatian or German Club. I am a repair guy not a cook.

One day I was working there and they had 20 people out in the woods cutting trees down and hauling fire wood. I just happened to have my 660 in my Van and gave it to them to use while I was working inside.

What makes this story is not the saw, or the amount of people in the woods. It is the FACT that the youngest guy out there was 78 years old. The oldest was 85.

When I see this I am reassured in the FACT that I will cut my own wood until I freeze to death or Die.

Yes we have losers in this world. The reasons people need help does not qualify the reasons for you helping them. "Am I my brothers keeper?" Yes you are, dipshyt.

This country was built on Brotherly Love. Now we have become a country of rats fighting for bits of green paper. The only thing that matters in this life is relationships and people. It is the only thing that we have that is of real value.

It doesn't matter if you believe in God or Not, this is universally true. Being a Chrisian or a samaritan without interacting directly or indirectly with other people does nothing. Everyone helping each other builds a stronger society.

What good does going to church every Sunday and praying really hard if you refuse to interact with mortals?

Scott.

Scott, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I am not my brother's keeper. I do not live in a village. I do not gather on Sundays and pray to any diety. I do help those that CAN'T help themselves if it's convenient for me, but refuse to lift a finger for those that WON'T help themselves.

Dipshyt? That's mighty Christian of you. Thanks.

Ian

Scott, we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I am not my brother's keeper. I do not live in a village. I do not gather on Sundays and pray to any diety. I do help those that CAN'T help themselves if it's convenient for me, but refuse to lift a finger for those that WON'T help themselves.

Dipshyt? That's mighty Christian of you. Thanks.

Ian

Ian, you have to argee that a stronger society is better for everyone that is part of it.
Even if you are an athiest, you realize that strong self supporting individuals make for a healthy economy that we all benifit from. One way to make a strong individual is to help them when they need. Stuff like education, resource managemnet, and health care (not Socialized) all help everyone.
Hey I am not the best Christian out there. I might even be the worst one. But I see the bigger picture. Sorry if my language offended you Mr Haywood. Hope you had a great Birthday.

Scott.

Just got back from dropping a 24" standing dead elm and delivering the two trailers of firewood. We left my house a little after 9am and arrived around 10am. The wood we took was blocked and stacked, and the elm was felled (inartistically...i'll admit it was not my best work), blocked, and more or less stacked in the adjacent field. It was a lovely morning for cutting wood - 25 degrees, slight breeze, fluffy snowflakes falling. We made quick work of blocking up the trailer load of wood with the 7900 and the 154. The frozen, sandy/dirty wood was horrible on chains, and I'll definitely be spending some time on the grinder after today's cutting!

It looks like they still have both chainsaws and another nonrunning donor poulan tophandle. The 024 is missing some plastic and is having carb/fuel problems that he couldn't figure out, but he said it was working OK otherwise. I suggested that he take it to my favored saw shop to get checked out and serviced. I'm going to email the owner and have him bill me most of the cost of the repair if it can be repaired, or else to see about getting them a rebuilt used saw. My dealer has a collection of used 250, 290, 026/260, and 2150 that are ready to go, and a couple more 250, 028, and 038 that are currently in parts waiting for reassembly.

The recipients of our wood donation have been able to negotiate a deal to clear dead trees out of the neighbors' fencelines, once they have a running saw to use. And they've been keeping up on what the local line clearance crews are doing, and scrounging the left-overs from that. So if they can get the saw situation taken care of, they should be good to go on wood into the future.

While we were there some folks showed up who had purchased the privacy fence that had been taken down and placed for sale, and they also had an older horse trailer and some other stuff for sale. Our recipient helped with all phases of our work until he had to run into town to get medicine for his wife from the pharmacy that closes at 1pm. And along the road was a large sign indicating that they were seeking employment.

Anyway, it looks like their situation should probably be able to be resolved without buying them a new saw, and they should be able to get through the next while with the wood we delivered for them today. Thanks to everyone on here for the support and offers of assistance, it's good to see how willing folks are to help out when a need is identified.

The whole thing is very benevolent of you Brandon,good for you.:cheers:

Now the subject of usable saws and firewood.For what it's worth more times than not a usable or repairable saw can be found at many garage sales for under 25 bucks.Oh it's not some hot-rod,souped to the gills 066 or something that everybody just has to have but still usable.

Actual firewood can be obtained from many sources,tree trimers are always looking for place to pawn off excessive wood to eliminate a dumping fee.The key to that is a little advance planing.I know it's not hard to get behind the 8 ball but when it's 20 degrees out is not a good time to be attempting to lay in a supply of wood.Then again,ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Depending on the area often times the dump sites will allow people to get the wood.The problem is that often you are dealing with 4 foot stuff which would not be good fodder for a little Craftsman saw and often kind of dirty .

Good job, and thank's for helping these folk's out.
The only way the nay-sayers on this thread will ever understand or agree with what you guy's have done is to be put in a situation where they are the one's needing the help. I hope that never happens to any one.

To sit at a computer that you own, connected to the internet, and type a post that this is foolish and you are poor too only tell's me that you don't really know what poor is. I hope you never find out.

Andy

I've never been dirt poor but I have been cash strapped a time or two.It doesn't hurt to lend a helping hand now and again.Sometimes all it takes is a little boost to get over the hump .

Now for the down right lazy,this doesn't apply.Some people are too lazy to wipe their own butt .The good Lord helps those who help themselves but some need a little encouragement along the way.

Thanks a lot for the update. I commend you both for the job you did. If you want a set of 024 plastic for their saw let me know and I'll send it to you. I don't have a whole lot of 024 plastic, but I'm pretty sure I can come up with a set. It may not be pretty, but it will be totally functional and not cracked.

I've never been dirt poor but I have been cash strapped a time or two.It doesn't hurt to lend a helping hand now and again.Sometimes all it takes is a little boost to get over the hump .

Now for the down right lazy,this doesn't apply.Some people are too lazy to wipe their own butt .The good Lord helps those who help themselves but some need a little encouragement along the way.

Al,
I stay cash strapped.:laugh: There was a time, due to circumstances beyond my control, and a few bad decisions that I was on the bottom of the barrell. I'd like to say that I picked myself up by the bootstrap's, but I can't.
While I was bent over pulling on my bootstraps, there were some good folks who were helping to keep me from falling on my face. For that I will be forever gratefull.
There are cases of people who are just butt lazy, and want someone to do it all for them. To walk away from them is totally acceptable in my book. But it is impossible to make that call in this thread. So we have to trust the judgement of those who are in contact with these folk's.

I trust your judgement computeruser, and applaud you for a job well done.

Andy

Oh yea,sometimes if you fall into that pickle barrel it takes a while to get back out. Having lost a kings ransom in a divorce settlement,that I know all about.Ha,got er all back and then some.:hmm3grin2orange:

Oh yea,sometimes if you fall into that pickle barrel it takes a while to get back out. Having lost a kings ransom in a divorce settlement,that I know all about.Ha,got er all back and then some.:hmm3grin2orange:

Haha. Been there, I decided I don't want it ALL back. But I'm still working on getting back what I want.;)

Andy

I just happened to have my 660 in my Van and gave it to them to use while I was working inside. What makes this story is not the saw, or the amount of people in the woods. It is the FACT that the youngest guy out there was 78 years old. The oldest was 85.

When I see this I am reassured in the FACT that I will cut my own wood until I freeze to death or Die.

Sooo.......how many did it take to run the 660? :greenchainsaw:

LOL...That's awesome to hear tho...we have a guy in our group.....78, I think. Love's to cut wood with us, I'm very impressed with his vitality. We fire up a 180 or 250, hand it to him and get out of his way...:) I hope to have half his strength at that age.....

Not to be a broken record,but it's nice to hear of the compassion for a fellow man. Had I not been out cutting for my own I would have like to help. As I said earlier, we had a late start but I think we cut enough before the storm hit Sat. to last a month or so....
We have had our challenges,but I think it makes life worth living. Not only does it build character, but offers the knowledge of what was achieved was done by your own hand. I couldn't imagine having everything handed to you. Although we have also known the hand of charity,and it is a humbling experience to know that someone has,unasked,offered their hard earned cash to help another. I work full time,go to college,raise a family,and support two in laws......I know bla,bla....woe is me....lol. Did I mention the 5 year old triplets???? Insert donation here........:) ... Just stating,have been there,trying to claw out,and will remember the folks who helped through the hard times.....and at some stage in life when life allows will give back graciously..........

I applaud anyone who is low income and burns wood for heat. I know many people on government assistance who just burn gas and get assistance to pay their bill, so then they turn their heat up to 78 and open a window. Anyone who will actually burns wood probably actually needs the help and is probably too proud to accept assistance.

Back