Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angelo c,

Your lucky with Black cherry then.

Maybe 50% here is real nice straight grain wood the other 50% twisted tough to split wood.

Yeah not much can beat dragging out the hydro in vertical mode to make short work of very big rounds, or at least make them to a size much easier to load up.

angelo c,

Your lucky with Black cherry then.

Maybe 50% here is real nice straight grain wood the other 50% twisted tough to split wood.

Yeah not much can beat dragging out the hydro in vertical mode to make short work of very big rounds, or at least make them to a size much easier to load up.

only prob I have with Cherry is it "punkifies" ( is that a word ?) quickly. it gets moldy and mossy quick. I have some piles of 4 y/o red oaks that are nice and clear..( stored like they were a fine wine- yes I have a problem)
white oak and maples are like stone when it come to punkyness.

The SS has no problem with Cherry, Honey Locus, Red (Rock?) Elm and Hickory here.

But Like I said, I do mostly Oak and am able to pick and those what I cut off my own property.

I've gotten into some white oak crotches I just don't see how a glorified sledge and wedge can do much with. Maybe it will, but I don't see it happening.

I've gotten into some white oak crotches I just don't see how a glorified sledge and wedge can do much with. Maybe it will, but I don't see it happening.

I split mostly White Oak and a bunch of crotches!

Absolutely No problems doing this with a Super Split!

Glorified sledge and wedge? Really?!?
This has been beat to death. SS and Kinetic splitters in general do have more trouble splitting difficult wood like osage orange and elm, difficult appears to be hitting it twice maybe three times before it can power through. White oak doesn't qualify as difficult.
Now if you will excuse me I need to take my glorified horseless carriage i.e. car to the hardware store.

I will add that Red Elm crotches can be a bit of a challenge with the SS and some will take more than one or two hits. If it's a big crotch I'll usually just rip it with a chainsaw. But again, Oak crotches are just no big deal here.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to stand up while splitting:popcorn:

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to stand up while splitting:popcorn:

I thought the same thing when I bought my hydraulic splitter and made sure to get a vertical/horizontal model. For whatever reason I never liked splitting in the vertical mode, I just found it awkward and preferred to rip the large rounds that I couldn't lift. Now with the FEL it is a mute point for me.

Glorified sledge and wedge? Really?!?
This has been beat to death. SS and Kinetic splitters in general do have more trouble splitting difficult wood like osage orange and elm, difficult appears to be hitting it twice maybe three times before it can power through. White oak doesn't qualify as difficult.
Now if you will excuse me I need to take my glorified horseless carriage i.e. car to the hardware store.

That's funny. Thanks for the laugh. :biggrin:

Well I think the idea of an inertia splitter is a good idea and uses from what I hear very little gas. Great! To be honest, unless you live in the area's that have easy to split wood like oak, pine, ect and have a huge abundance of smaller say 12-20 inch wood to feed it than it just doesn't make the most sense. They work, not saying they don't but they struggle when the wood gets larger diameter and do not have a big enough work table. I do not want to lift every round over and over to split it with no room for the half's to sit when you do split. Then you have to bend over pick up the splits that are to big that fell off the table and re-split. I personally would rather have a big hydro with multi wedge that will split the round with one stoke into useable sizes.

When you watch this video from the manufacturer keep in mind how many times this thing stalls, how many times the log gets stuck on the wedge, and how he struggles to first lift the log then later to reposition the log, and also how many "too large" splits hit the ground and will need to be picked up and re-split. Like I said for a lot of you guys out there is the best thing since sliced bread. Each person and situation is different but I am betting a good hydo with multi wedge will out perform day in and day out this unit every time. If I was to get a SS I would go with the log rite trailer, very slick, but also very high dollar and you can almost buy an entry level processor for the same $ as one.
Watch video from about 30 seconds to when he finished that round
[video=youtube_share;FnqVeaKj23c]http://youtu.be/FnqVeaKj23c[/video]

Last edited:
It looked to me like the one that gave him a problem he just shoved it out of the way and went back to the little straight grain stuff. But heck, if ya like um, use um. I do not care to try to keep the speed that man does. I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

It looked to me like the one that gave him a problem he just shoved it out of the way and went back to the little straight grain stuff. But heck, if ya like um, use um. I do not care to try to keep the speed that man does. I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

Have you run one personally??
I've used both...

No, I've not used one. Never heard of um till I got on this site. I need a table worse than I need anything right now.

Looks like red elm is no picnic for the SS.
[video=youtube;skG1n3jdj_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skG1n3jdj_k[/video]

Wedge to short for elm me thinks.
Hate to see how long a day American elm is.LOL

Last edited:
Looks like red elm is no picnic for the SS.
[video=youtube;skG1n3jdj_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skG1n3jdj_k[/video]

Wedge to short for elm me thinks.
Hate to see how long a day American elm is.LOL

That IS American Elm Woody...:msp_rolleyes:

Now I can only imagine the length of time it would take him to split a 30 plus inch round of elm on this. I will stick with the hydro but if someone gave a SS I would find a use for it, maybe:msp_tongue:

Latest posts

Back