Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I can only imagine the length of time it would take him to split a 30 plus inch round of elm on this. I will stick with the hydro but if someone gave a SS I would find a use for it, maybe:msp_tongue:

I've got a very large hydro with log lift and everything...
Got a 4 and 6 way for it... The only time I use the multi ways is when I got good stuff to split..
It's not lack of splitting force, but strange behavior of the nasty stuff ends up just making a mess of things... The huge 12" wedge is a plus... I like that...
But I still want a SS...
I won't be happy till I have both...
:msp_sneaky:

Oh, and I have to deal with a lot of large elms...
I hate them.. But they burn good...
Split like crap... So I always noodle them into slabs...
They split pretty good then... The pic in my avatar is an Elm...

Hedgerow,

The author of that video didn't post the type, just looked like red elm when he was splitting.
Not to knock the SS because videos of splitting oak, ash etc looked like a production line.

I think the SS will be mighty nice to use on anything that an axe can split but on stringy wood the brute force of a hydro will work much better.

Lots of the videos of the SS looked like finger danger though because splitting was happening pretty quick and fingers were quite often placed in iffy places, as fatigue sets in I bet it's a good time to stop splitting and keep all 10.

Things I would change in the SS are.
#1 An inch or so taller wedge so larger rounds split easier, even on oak as the round gets bigger the split happens less clean.
#2 A round log feed so logs placed stay in place better and need to hold them is gone.
#3 A flat log catcher at the end with 2 round catches on each side so when big splits are done both are held at the end instead of trying to split one and hold the other.
In all videos I watched the big splits simply tried to fall off the flat chatcher
#4 Both hands away from the splitting, make two hand use before machine works, above fixes take away need for two hands.

I could use #3 on my hydro and might make that myself, even though I have a catcher a similar effect happens on large splits and you end up holding one and doing an iffy haul and split with the other.

Last edited:
I can see why people are concerned with safety when operating the SS. I have been watching videos and see that the practice of putting your hand over the end of a log could be really bad. I see operators who keep their hand on the side of the log, that will be my practice.
I wouldn't buy a kinetic with the requirement that both hands be used to operate it. Speed pro made their splitter like that and DR made that change with their newer models and I don't like it, when released the log can shift before the push plate hits it or when it gets hit and the log may not split where you wanted it to split.
Again I think so long as your hand remains on the side of the log you minimize the chances of getting your hand in trouble.

harrybeaver,

That's what I noticed watching videos of the SS.
Splitting was happening pretty quick so hands were all over the place.

One hand operation is fine with the SS but if it was me the other hand would hold a stick with a few nails in it to hold rounds in place.
A better rounder pusher area I think would resolve the need to hold them completely.

It's no different than a hrdo just happening at a much quicker speed so an ill placed finger can happen much faster.
I think since fatigue is going to set in quick splitting wood that quick the SS will need a few more safety features to really be safe.
2 hands away is the best safety :)

Last edited:
Who in their right mind would want to work that fast? The speed itself is a heart attack facilitator. Honestly, if I "had" to work that fast, I'd burn propane. I like wood fires, but I'm not that fond of um.

Who in their right mind would want to work that fast? The speed itself is a heart attack facilitator. Honestly, if I "had" to work that fast, I'd burn propane. I like wood fires, but I'm not that fond of um.
I don't work that fast, I also don't ever wait for the ram to retract. :D

It is very clear the Super Split Is Not for everyone!

Anyone else notice haveawoody is having a conversation with harrybeaver. :hmm3grin2orange:

Hopefully they'll both be satisfied with the outcome.:hmm3grin2orange:

Mr. HE:cool:

Looks like red elm is no picnic for the SS.
[video=youtube;skG1n3jdj_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skG1n3jdj_k[/video]

Wedge to short for elm me thinks.
Hate to see how long a day American elm is.LOL

As I've said before I own and run both types so I consider myself fairly well versed in what works. I've also got a decent bit of experience with Elm, in fact I split a cord of it from a yard tree just a few weeks ago.

What I see in that video is a kinetic splitter that is still producing more split wood per hour than a hydro unit can. Unless you're running 30tons you won't touch a piece of wood like that with a four way wedge and in the video he went through that piece faster than four cycles on the average hydro unit in the 16 to 20 ton range. With a tall wedge it would still be two cycles and then they'd be about even.

That elm a few weeks ago? It was a job out of town and due to being limited in how much equipment we could haul we rented a TW-2 splitter, nice unit with very low hours. Using the single wedge only it bent the main I-Beam. No abuse, guy running it is very easy on equipment, just the twisting between the pusher plate on the ram and the wedge did it on a piece about 16" diameter. Rental yard was cool about it, they fixed it and beefed it up a little and we used it the next day to finish up. Point in all that being that elm is nasty stuff and twisted knotty yard trees are really nasty stuff. Only reason we bothered with it is the homeowner was willing to pay $300.00 to have us split it and leave it in a pile. He's from the east coast and is a wood snob.:biggrin:

Mr. HE:cool:

Looking at different videos you can see different styles of running the SS:
This guy is the fastest I have found but he has a bad tendency to put his hand around the end of the log.
super splitter - YouTube
I think this guy has the best overall technique. He is moving quickly through the wood without moving his body very much and has great hand placement.
ELECTRIC SUPERSPLIT LOGSPLITTER - YouTube

I was still kind of green with the SS when Hedgerow shot those two short vids. I've learned a bit since then and the splitter is broke in now. It actually works better now than when new! :msp_smile:

At a later date, we went through a bunch of Hedge Very Quick! But no vid.

Yes... There's always vid...:rock:
Andy on a leisurely test run of a super split...

[video=youtube;AgQJLsyqCCc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgQJLsyqCCc[/video]

We processed up 2 logs worth in no time...

Hey I've had my share of hairy beavers in my day.
Usually when the beer is good the ugly factor decreases lol
Then we can both shave in the morning as I prepare to put her back on the curb *grin*

You go far enough up north here and hair is needed just to live.

Use to have a 11 gallon pump don't know if it ever work right always seemed slow . Went to a 16 gallon to be honest can't kept up with it using about half the fuel with a bigger pump an engine

Got the splitter and set up for production, pictures prove it!
When I went to super split to pick it up I was surprised how small the shop is and how full of splitter parts it is. Paul said he builds about 300 a year.
Anyway about the splitter, it is awesome! I have split about 3 cord so far, as set up in the pictures it takes me about six minutes to go through a FEL full, two of those and the cart is full. Easily a cord an hour by myself. Splitting is by far the quickest and most enjoyable part of the process now. So far I have split pine, cherry, cedar, oak, birch, maple, and beach. The biggest round was about 40" dia with a three way split. Basically a 40" knot. The SS had no trouble splitting this piece, I did have trouble moving it around on the production table but no trouble splitting it. If you are on the fence about buying a SS because of people who say they can't split knotty woods I would say that is absolute BS and go for it. Personally I don't think knotty wood is worth splitting mostly because it takes much longer to split, you end up with a lot of slash at your feet, and the final product is hard to stack because it is not straight. I usually get really knotty pieces down to the size where it will fit in my wood boilers door then drop that in my "uglies" pile. They are ugly to look at but burn beautifully.
The machine does seem on initial impression to be under built but that is mostly because I have adjusted to seeing hydraulic splitters. Kind of like seeing a wide receiver after only seeing line men. It is well made with good attention to detail. You get what you pay for and although I am not happy about spending $2500 for a log splitter I am happy with the purchase.

Latest posts

Back