DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone expressed an issue with excessive shaking resulting from poorly balanced flywheels? I ask because it's a PITA for quite a few SpeedPro owners. It may just be SP have sold way more than DR, but it might also be b/c DR QC better than SP before delivering to the customer.

That is one of the issues I had with TSC. If I hadn't bought the demo speedpro, which I got to bring rounds and try out, and which I could see had no vibration issues, I still wonder if they would have fired up the "brand new" unit upon purchase. All the machines you see sitting outside the tsc stores have never had oil or gas put in them, let alone been started. QC from some point would have to go partially with tsc to at least make sure there are no problems upon initial startup. Imho anyways.

I wonder if DR starts there machines and tests them before they ship?? It is possible. I'm not knocking the DR in any way shape or form and I'd bet they have very good qc...and thanks nysparkie, for confirming my concerns about there parts origins too. But with the grand I saved, I could have bought a vert/horiz hydro unit too...I just wish I had an extra grand!!

Here is my first hour

DRSplitter.jpg

May not seem like much, but look at how small i split them. :msp_wink:

Got the first 5 hours on the meter this weekend.

(this is the first inertia splitter I have operated for any considerable length of time)

Observations so far:

--> Very well built, good quality steel and welds. Very little plastic (some on motor only)

--> Table is a must.

--> Wear a cup if you are at the "right" height. :msp_wink:

--> At full throttle, tank of gas lasted about 4.5 hours.

--> Electric start works nice, started right up even in the morning cold.

--> I ran the speeco at the demo at TSC. Speeco is noticeably faster, but not sure if this really means much in production seeing the machine can work faster than I can anyway.

--> Very little vibration, no shaking.

--> Maintenance meter works well and simple to use.

--> Oil changes are a PITA. There is no drain plug, and it would be difficult to flip over. Will need to siphon.

--> Knotty pieces have to be hit two or three times.

--> Subaru motor is relatively quiet.

--> The small little wedge cradles (as previously pointed out in this thread) are nice. I would rather have them than not. They are low enough to allow sliding of the split rounds for the next cycle, but not too high to interfere with lining the next piece up.

--> The ram adjustment bolts need to be adjusted after the first two hours. I am assuming this is probably just from breaking in. Re-adjusted and they have stayed tight so far.

--> Needed to grease the rack and pinion, came dry from the factory. (This was not pointed out in the manual)

--> Speaking of manual, got four. One for the motor, one for the splitter, one for the table and one for the maintenace meter. All are very clear and very well written and illustrated.

--> After running this one-handed. Would not want the two hand operation of speeco. If I purchased that unit, would definitely have to convert. The one-handed operation makes 50% of the speed of the operation.

--> Pretty heavy unit, easier to push than to pull with the handles. There are a few unused bracket locations on the rear of the machine. Think I will be looking at fabricating a handle in the rear to pull from the pile. It takes about 15-20 minutes to completely bury the front of the machine.

--> Rounds 24"+ will have to be split twice on the first run. Split once, flip back over and split the other side.

This is all I can think of for right now. I will update at 25 hours. I will also try to get a video up asap, but never posted a vid online yet so, we'll see. :msp_w00t:

Recommended Cover for DR Rapid Fire

DR doesn't sell a cover for this machine yet, so I was using a tarp. It didn't look great and wasn't so easy to put on.

I ordered a outdoor "chaise lounge" cover from Restoration Hardware (on sale for $20, delivered!) that happens, luckily, to fit the RapidFire perfectly with the table. It is like it was made for it.

It looks pretty sharp (better than the photo - the "mocha" one I got, has a contrasting stripe on the edging and vented mesh screen just above the tires in the rear) and since it fits so well, is easy on/off.

You want the small size, which is the only one left in stock anyway...

Chaise Lounge Cover | Furniture Care | Restoration Hardware

Last edited:
DR doesn't sell a cover for this machine yet, so I was using a tarp. It didn't look great and wasn't so easy to put on.

I ordered a outdoor "chaise lounge" cover from Restoration Hardware (on sale for $20, delivered!) that happens, luckily, to fit the RapidFire perfectly with the table. It is like it was made for it.

It looks pretty sharp (better than the photo - the "mocha" one I got, has a contrasting stripe on the edging and vented mesh screen just above the tires in the rear) and since it fits so well, is easy on/off.

You want the small size, which is the only one left in stock anyway...

Chaise Lounge Cover | Furniture Care | Restoration Hardware

Just make sure for anyone with the electric start, don't leave it outside in the cold. Those Gel Cell batteries do not do well in freezing temperatures. :yoyo:

Just noticed that DR has re-enacted their 1-year trial and 3-yr warranty offer. If you live near one of their factory stores (they have 3 North East locations) then you can even save on shipping.

DR RapidFire -- Fantastic splitter!!

Ordered this splitter on a Monday afternoon and the truck line called me on Thursday that it was available for pick up.

Have split several cords with this splitter and I am very well pleased. I heard about the TSC one after I had ordered this DR RapidFire and thought maybe I had made a mistake. But after receiving this machine and then getting a look at the TSC chinese one, the DR is so much better quality , I am so glad I bought it. Little Subaru engine starts and runs great and has a pull start back up to the electric. I would suggest buying the log tray with the machine -- it works so well I can't see using this splitter without it.

Agree Agree Agree

Got the first 5 hours on the meter this weekend.

(this is the first inertia splitter I have operated for any considerable length of time)

Observations so far:

--> Very well built, good quality steel and welds. Very little plastic (some on motor only)

--> Table is a must.

--> Wear a cup if you are at the "right" height. :msp_wink:

--> At full throttle, tank of gas lasted about 4.5 hours.

--> Electric start works nice, started right up even in the morning cold.

--> I ran the speeco at the demo at TSC. Speeco is noticeably faster, but not sure if this really means much in production seeing the machine can work faster than I can anyway.

--> Very little vibration, no shaking.

--> Maintenance meter works well and simple to use.

--> Oil changes are a PITA. There is no drain plug, and it would be difficult to flip over. Will need to siphon.

--> Knotty pieces have to be hit two or three times.

--> Subaru motor is relatively quiet.

--> The small little wedge cradles (as previously pointed out in this thread) are nice. I would rather have them than not. They are low enough to allow sliding of the split rounds for the next cycle, but not too high to interfere with lining the next piece up.

--> The ram adjustment bolts need to be adjusted after the first two hours. I am assuming this is probably just from breaking in. Re-adjusted and they have stayed tight so far.

--> Needed to grease the rack and pinion, came dry from the factory. (This was not pointed out in the manual)

--> Speaking of manual, got four. One for the motor, one for the splitter, one for the table and one for the maintenace meter. All are very clear and very well written and illustrated.

--> After running this one-handed. Would not want the two hand operation of speeco. If I purchased that unit, would definitely have to convert. The one-handed operation makes 50% of the speed of the operation.

--> Pretty heavy unit, easier to push than to pull with the handles. There are a few unused bracket locations on the rear of the machine. Think I will be looking at fabricating a handle in the rear to pull from the pile. It takes about 15-20 minutes to completely bury the front of the machine.

--> Rounds 24"+ will have to be split twice on the first run. Split once, flip back over and split the other side.

This is all I can think of for right now. I will update at 25 hours. I will also try to get a video up asap, but never posted a vid online yet so, we'll see. :msp_w00t:

I agree with most everything you posted. As you set your own up, I didn't and did not have the issue with the non-grease rack item. I have started to use my converted F-100 trailer to collect everything falling off the table. I never push away a thing anymore. Just keep on splitting and let the next split push everything forward. I set up prior by stacking two or three cords of chuncked stuff right behind me - no more than 5 steps for the farthest. I have a three foot steel table to my side I put the large 1/2 first split piece on until I get back to that one. Once the trailer is full, Mama or one of the kids haul it to a pile and unload and come back clean up in front of the splitter. Back it up to the table again all the while I just keep on going. No Bull. I have it down to three cords in 70 minutes.:clap: Of course that does not include set up time. But once you get going....you can actually fly.:rock:
I also have had to hit some larger knotty ash more than once, twice. Had the ram get stuck a couple of times due to small split garbage being wedged between the ram and the frame. I have a 27 Ton Troy Bilt Hydro and I can see it will have to be painted up and have a FOR SALE SIGN on it real soon. I can not tell you how happy I've been so far. My back isn't tightened up at the end of session of splitting. I am not walking around the front to pick up that 1/2 that falls the wrong way as on the Hydro. I am not leaning over holding on to the ram stop while my thigh is pushing the hydro ram forward handle because my back is stiff. Best of all I can work for 4 hours straight and have as much wood split as two 8 hour days. Simply amazing.:msp_biggrin:

Cover?

Just make sure for anyone with the electric start, don't leave it outside in the cold. Those Gel Cell batteries do not do well in freezing temperatures. :yoyo:

I'd like to get that chaise lounge cover thing you bought. Can you give me the dimensions or stock number? Please. thanks

SPEECO Problems

I was over reading some posts on the Speeco Rack and Pinion Thread.
I am sooooo happy I bought the DR RapidFire even with the ~$500 cost increase. I think the avg. price for the Speedco is $1800.00.
They are having issues with steel that hasn't been or was cheaply hardened. Speedco is working on the problem but that will take time engineering the heat process on whatever steel they use. DOWN TIME... If you sell firewood for living, that ain't good. With some of the best Customer Support and Tech Support I have been privy to. I don't think you could go wrong buying a RapidFire now at these prices with the warranty and time use add ons they are giving you. I hope those guys on that other thread are a happy with what the Chinese have given them? I wish no ill luck towards anybody, but the old adage of "You get what you pay for" seems appropriate here.
Just saying...:clap::eek:uttahere2::clap::rock:

Shaking

Has anyone expressed an issue with excessive shaking resulting from poorly balanced flywheels? I ask because it's a PITA for quite a few SpeedPro owners. It may just be SP have sold way more than DR, but it might also be b/c DR QC better than SP before delivering to the customer.
I've had mine for month now. No shaking other than the ram moving forward and back. The engine vibrating. Other wise very still.

Come on!! You can split twice that with some help. Go GO GOOOOOO!:clap:

I agree! That was my very first hour on it. Once you get the technique down, it is easy to double that.

After this weekend, it will leave my house and actually be going to work, we'll see what it can do then. Maybe even pull the conveyor off the timberwolf for a little while and see what one guy can do when not getting clogged up on the other end. However, it won't be doing any large stuff at that point; mostly 12" and smaller.

I've had mine for month now. No shaking other than the ram moving forward and back. The engine vibrating. Other wise very still.

:agree2:

Nothing other than motor vibes and the slamming of the ram (which can move it around a good bit). Flywheels seem to be perfectly balanced.

Unused Brackets

Look at the bottom and where the horizontal meets vertical. These are the two empty "brackets" I think I can make a rear handle attach to.

photobucket-38337-1321621400625.jpg

Two discussion items for DR

There are two spots that I noticed something in:

First one, wood gets built up in the notch between the table and beam. After about 4 hours or so, there is enough it actually works its way back towards the ram. Sometimes it catches the ram at the end and makes it stick.

photobucket-4588-1321621424870.jpg

The second, wood fragments get retracted back into the return area of the ram. Sometimes this does not allow the ram to fully retract.

photobucket-7725-1321621450404.jpg

Both minor I know, just wanted to see if anyone else is coming up with the same thing.

Back