DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
Sorry, I can't be explaining myself properly. I found an image online:
attachment.php

The SS has two bearings. DR are said to have copied SS. What do people think about this difference? DR don't think two each side are needed. I'm all for fewer components on anything when it doesn't sacrifice performance or durability. Why have two each side if only one is needed? With only one each side is the rack head going to pivot a little on return and unecessarily hasten the wear on the front of the brass bearing plate?

View attachment 209519

I will have to double check my unit again, but I am pretty sure there is no bearing where you have that arrow. I believe that bolt only holds the return spring on each side.

sunfish

sunfish

Fish Head
I will have to double check my unit again, but I am pretty sure there is no bearing where you have that arrow. I believe that bolt only holds the return spring on each side.

There is a bearing behind that bolt, that runs on the underside of the beam.

Keeps the ram from flying off the beam. :msp_smile:

nysparkie

nysparkie

ArboristSite Member
Bearings

For now I have split pretty much everything I need for a while. 30 Face +. For next year I will be starting again AS SOON AS THIS RAIN STOPS...PLEASE. So I hauled the thing, still don't like that no trailer hitch thing, into the garage. I will be removing the covers, blowing everything off and taking a look at the wear. As far as having two bearings on the ram shoe, as far as I am concerned the more the better. I know not all agree with that but as far as bearings, I like the idea of two instead of just one. Just an opinion and everyone has one.

D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
There is a bearing behind that bolt, that runs on the underside of the beam.

Keeps the ram from flying off the beam. :msp_smile:

You are correct. Looks like one bearing on each side. There is a plastic coating around the bearing, so I am assuming it is only one and not two back to back. Doesn't look like they are in contact too much though. About 30 hours on my machine and no sign of wear just yet.

BTW, anyone have an easier way to grease the rack? Greasing about every 2 - 3 hours with a putty knife or finger gets annoying. Would be nice to have a fitting installed, but not sure how to make that work.

nysparkie

nysparkie

ArboristSite Member
Grease

You are correct. Looks like one bearing on each side. There is a plastic coating around the bearing, so I am assuming it is only one and not two back to back. Doesn't look like they are in contact too much though. About 30 hours on my machine and no sign of wear just yet.

BTW, anyone have an easier way to grease the rack? Greasing about every 2 - 3 hours with a putty knife or finger gets annoying. Would be nice to have a fitting installed, but not sure how to make that work.

I've just been using white grease in spray can. With the red needle nozzle on I can just bend it up to get it on the rack. Everytime I use the splitter, one quick pass and off to the races. Yes it isn't gear lube, then again I do it everytime I split. No issues at all so....so far.:smile2:

KiwiBro

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Is demand so high they can't carry stock?

I will be shipping out a tractor from USA very soon and thought I would like a DR rapid fire splitter to go in it. They don't stock anything, they make it up to order and it's three weeks wait so the lady told me. There endeth my purchase, unfortunately.

mikereynolds

mikereynolds

ArboristSite Operative
Got mine today BUT WAIT it JAMS!!!!

Just unpacked my new Rapifire and lubed it up and followed all the directions and set out to split some rounds....At firsr I cycled the motor to break it in and then I split many rounds and it is fast just like the videos BUT! I have had several rounds get stuck in the wedge and the ram gets wedged into the round and won't retract! This happened on 10 out of 100 rounds of wet pine. I noticedit only happened on wet pine I was splitting for next year. I had to use a BIG pry bar to unwedge the round and release the jamed ram so it would retract inorder to hit it again to complete the split. Dry wood was no problems even massive Eucaliptus split with ease but wet pine is trouble! On Monday I will call the smart guys at DR and hear what advise they have to say. Maybe the paint has to wear off the wedge? Anybody else have this problem?

aleman

aleman

ArboristSite Lurker
I just got mine also and am having the same problem. I did the same with the crowbar, it seemed to work better the more I used it. Let me know if you get any help from the guys at DR.

nysparkie

nysparkie

ArboristSite Member
Jamming

I just got mine also and am having the same problem. I did the same with the crowbar, it seemed to work better the more I used it. Let me know if you get any help from the guys at DR.

I had this issue also. What I found is if after your first split if you keep the flat up/round down, it appears to minimize what can get jammed between the ram head and the table. (Less surface area??) I know this shouldn't be an issue at all and "balancing a round" half to quarter it sort of sucks but it helps keeping the straight sides of the flat away from the table and therefore minimizes jams. I still get one once in a while but it is on reall bad, large knotty stuff. The ram head just gets stuck in it then won't retract for a 2d whack. Clear that and whack it in the same spot and it may again get jammed so always turn it either to a new spot or turn the whole thing around and attack it right opposite where it first got stuck. All in all I've now split close to 30 face in way less time???maybe close to 1/2 the time with wayyyyy less gas than my 27 ton Troy Bilt. And the jamming is wayyyy far and few between. Once you get the idea of rolling your pieces around you will be flying through them pretty darn fast.

mikereynolds

mikereynolds

ArboristSite Operative
One Week Old and 15 cord split Review

Well I have split about 15 cord with it now and it works better than ever. I still get a jam every now and then but a good whack on the round (not splitter) with a 4-pound sledge usually knocks it loose but this happens less and less with more use and now rarely jams maybe once every two or three cord split (only happens with green pine). I have expermited with it and have yet to find a round it wouldn't split. Including knotted up twisted crap I would usually toss asside rather than waste time with my old splitters. It even split a 3' diameter Red Oak and 3' diameter Eucaliptus round!. Its not perfect though I think the push plate is too small and the table should be standard equipment. The Subaru motor runs and starts just fine and it uses a WHOLE LOT LESS fuell! It's easy to move around with the handles but they are a little cheesey and the fastners come loose quickly and get lost in the dirt I also think greasing the rack every 5 cord is a hassle. The edge of the table is the same height as my 1-cord delivery dump trailer which makes it easy to split the rounds and push the firewood right onto the trailer for stacking and delivery. The speed is definately there it will still split faster than I can feed it. The newness has not worn off yet I like it and the best part is it is way easier on my back than my other three splitters. I would buy it again without hesitation and reccomend it so far. I have heard complaints about no towing provisions...I can load it on my motorcycle trailer and take it anywhere no big deal to me! I'll post another update and review after 50 cord split next month.

rwoods

rwoods

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Confession #1 I have not read all of the preceding 20 pages. Confession #2 I have never run a splitter. Confession #3 I have never seen a DR in action. FWIW, today at the wood ministry over lunch, everyone was all abuzz about a new splitter someone had brought today to help. I was told they were using 5 guys and a skid steer and could not keep up with this new machine. They were all amazed at the cycle time and its ability to split some big stuff. They were also running our usual 4 Huskee 35 tons, 1 Huskee 20 ton and several home-builts today each with two or three men crews so that will give you some idea of the comparison they were making. I was told the cycle time was 1/4 that of the Huskee 35 ton. After lunch, I checked it out - it was a DR. I was really surprised by how small it was after hearing all the comments at lunch. Now I guess I should go back and start reading this thread. Ron

nysparkie

nysparkie

ArboristSite Member
Jamming

Well I have split about 15 cord with it now and it works better than ever. I still get a jam every now and then but a good whack on the round (not splitter) with a 4-pound sledge usually knocks it loose but this happens less and less with more use and now rarely jams maybe once every two or three cord split (only happens with green pine). I have expermited with it and have yet to find a round it wouldn't split. Including knotted up twisted crap I would usually toss asside rather than waste time with my old splitters. It even split a 3' diameter Red Oak and 3' diameter Eucaliptus round!. Its not perfect though I think the push plate is too small and the table should be standard equipment. The Subaru motor runs and starts just fine and it uses a WHOLE LOT LESS fuell! It's easy to move around with the handles but they are a little cheesey and the fastners come loose quickly and get lost in the dirt I also think greasing the rack every 5 cord is a hassle. The edge of the table is the same height as my 1-cord delivery dump trailer which makes it easy to split the rounds and push the firewood right onto the trailer for stacking and delivery. The speed is definately there it will still split faster than I can feed it. The newness has not worn off yet I like it and the best part is it is way easier on my back than my other three splitters. I would buy it again without hesitation and reccomend it so far. I have heard complaints about no towing provisions...I can load it on my motorcycle trailer and take it anywhere no big deal to me! I'll post another update and review after 50 cord split next month.

Mike, glad to see you are flying through the timber. One question: Are those jams you are still having due to the wood just getting stuck on the wedge? Have you solved the jams due to chuncks getting between the ram and the table? I hardly have those anymore. Still get those Knot jams though. I don't split pine so I don't get as many as you. Those poor guys on the SPEEDCO site are having all sorts of issues with that CHINA built thing. I have cleaned up and painted up my Troy-bilt hydro 27 ton unit to sell on Craigs List. I don't want to have to bend over for hours again as long as I split wood. I'm 60 and don't need that crap anymore..Happy, Happy, Happy.:biggrin:

D&B Mack

D&B Mack

Sawin Wit It!
The Jam

I had the same jam problem with my DR when I first got it. One thing I have found: keeping the ramp guide plates properly adjusted makes a big difference. Mine seems to stick because of the twisting of the round, keeping the guide plate tolerances tight has reduced this tremendously. When it does stick, a smack on the round with the butt end of a hatchet will free it. As previously stated though, technique is the key to keep moving. I got it down now to when the round begins to twist, I disengage and re-split. This allows the round to straighten itself out.

55 hours down so far, no other issues.

Dozer Man

Dozer Man

ArboristSite Operative
So far so good...

Hey All,

Sounds like everyone is very happy with there Rapidfire splitters so far. That's good to hear. I have to ask for a little help. I'm trying to get some comparison info. for the DR. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the DRIVE PULLEY on there clutch. Outside diameter of the whole clutch is irrelevent, it's the actual drive pulley that the belt rides on that I'm looking for (which is welded onto or machined into the clutch housing itself). If by chance someone knows the O.D. of the flywheels, that might be helpful too, but not necessary.

I've already talked to DR about buying the clutch, and I have the part# and price too ($75+shipping). But, the parts guys had no way of telling the drive pulley diameter without physically seeing it. Beings how they didn't have the clutch in stock and would have to order it(only 2 wks), I figured it would be easier and quicker to just ask you guys.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Happy Splitting,

Dozer

Last edited:
DR POWER

DR POWER

ArboristSite Lurker
Hey All,

Sounds like everyone is very happy with there Rapidfire splitters so far. That's good to hear. I have to ask for a little help. I'm trying to get some comparison info. for the DR. Can anyone tell me the diameter of the DRIVE PULLEY on there clutch. Outside diameter of the whole clutch is irrelevent, it's the actual drive pulley that the belt rides on that I'm looking for (which is welded onto or machined into the clutch housing itself). If by chance someone knows the O.D. of the flywheels, that might be helpful too, but not necessary.

I've already talked to DR about buying the clutch, and I have the part# and price too ($75+shipping). But, the parts guys had no way of telling the drive pulley diameter without physically seeing it. Beings how they didn't have the clutch in stock and would have to order it(only 2 wks), I figured it would be easier and quicker to just ask you guys.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Happy Splitting,

Dozer

Dozer,

Here are the dimensions you are looking for:

Clutch is 1.75"
flywheel is 18.25"

DR Power

Latest posts