DR Rapid Fire Rack & Pinion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So because my opinion doesn't match up with yours, you get all over my case? Nice. So the faster you go, the safer it is? Tell that to the Indy drivers. And I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reality is that many people split wood with a helper and that's where a lot of accidents happen. Most likely the users here are safety conscious, but it's a big world out there and a lot of people are using these machines without training or the benefit of years of splitting experience. So get two people like that trying to see how fast they can go splitting wood and tell me how it's safer. Just sayin'.

I like this machine (I don't own one but have tried one), and for many it's great. Just not for me. I don't like the small wedge and the lack of a 4 or 6 way.

RapidFire Splitter

I picked mine up last Thursday. The Dealer near the shores of Lake Ontario wanted to see it operate after he set it up.
I took 6 chunks with me. Some at least 20 inch Ash with knots in it. Beech and some Chestnut. The Big Ash with the knots had to be moved so you split, AT First around the knot. After that was sliced off I took on the knot. 6 inch thing. I had to hit it three times. On the third hit the knot split like an egg shell. On my own I split so much wood on 1 1/2 hours, something like approaching 4 face, I had to stop and stack for the wood was piled up higher than the splitting table. On This past Sunday as my wife stack and after I got the movements down as to what was what. This time I actually had the chunks closer at hand still in trailer so all I had to do was turn around grab. Turn back and split. In 45 minutes we finished 3 cords. She never had to wait for there was always split wood either on the table or pushed by the next split on the ground. Couple of Y Branch pieces had to be hit two times to split. Knots, most were taken care of with one hit.
The reason I bought the RapidFire is I have other DR Products and have found them reliable. Tech support is superb. At this time if you order one Factory Direct you can save $540 on the manual 6 HP Subaru start model. They do have an electric start. You get a free three warranty and a One Year Hands on Use - no like? take back offer. I have a 27 Ton Troy Bilt Hydro. It has served me well. I didn't like the bending over waiting for the split to finish to grab 1/2 of the split to split again. RapidFire has that large table, Xtra cost, which served me well. I can split something approaching 20 inches. Leave one half on the table pushed over to the side. Finish the other half grabbing that saved half lickity split - well less than a minute the whole thing is gone and you are moving on to the next chunk. Yes you have to lift everything. I am 59 and if it is way large I would split it anyhow even if using the Troy Bilt vertically. I hat trying to work the darn thing around when squatting. I save those xtra large ones for a nice cool day for the maul and wedges. Just to small them up.
I have been extremely happy so far with this kinetic splitter. I still have some 19 or so cords of Spring cut timber to go through. This machine seems to be extremely rugged. It weighs near 500 lbs. One thingy the irks me. No trailer tongue. Why? I don't know. I have been looking at it and trying to see how one can be attached. Speedco sold at TSC has a trailer tongue on theirs. I may get some idea from look at theirs. If I figure it out I will post how it was done.

Has any body bought one????

Pete

Use of vs. Instructions say...

I notice you place the chunk against the wedge. My instructions tell me to keep it up against the ram. Just wondering why
you are using it other than how the directions instruct?

As requested, here's a look at the RapidFire in action.

I didn't have anything interesting to split lying around, so I cut down a Beech tree yesterday to feed this new machine. I decided to cut the butt end first instead of the crotch pieces further up the tree. We'll get try the crotch pieces later this week. However, this piece is bigger than I usually work with and it had some character to it: it was live wet beech, it had two center eyes (must have had two leads as a youngster and they merged together over the years), it had a few knots as well that were about 2" in diameter. Not something I would like cutting by hand and is a good early test for me.

I'm taking it cautiously, you'll notice. I have tons of respect for the forces at work here and I'm not comfortable yet having only done a few much easier pieces with this splitter so far. Sorry for the watermark in the video - it was a surprise to me when I was done assembling the video.

I marked with text in the video just before two tougher splits where the log rode up on the wedge a couple inches. These two high riders were tougher cuts through knots or curvy grain. I'm not sure if there is a technique for keeping these down on the wedge, but I expect it is just a matter of running them back through.

Working the rounds off the back of my UTV is going to work well. Instead of leaving large pieces on the table, I learned to pull these right back to the tailgate as a working table.

I don't like how the guides on either side of the beam prevent me from sliding splits right back and around without lifting them up over these rails. You'll see I'm fighting with these early on in the video. They may help center rounds (tdb), but I'm not convinced it will be worth the hassle.

This splitting is really fun. I felt safe and will be much more productive than swinging the axe.

[video=youtube;iFiPurAkeso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFiPurAkeso[/video]

DR RapidFire - Thumbs UP!

I to like DR Products. They are truly close to commercial quality. I have a DR Brush and Field. It has cut some nasty acreage that a tractor with a brush hog could never get to.
I just bought a RapidFire and from the 8 or so cords I have split so far, I have used way less gasoline than a Hyd.
I have used way way way less time. I have not been hunched over a HYd. with my thigh getting bruised holding the
the control handle while waiting for the power stroke to finish the split. I can split faster than my wife can stack.
So far more than just happy. :msp_smile:
I got a three year warranty with the purchase. I got 540$ off the list price. I got to use hands on for one year - if I don't like I get so send back no questions. I paid xtra for the table and it cost ??? 800$ more than my 27 ton TroyBilt but if I had known about kinetic splitters three years ago when I bought my Hydraulic I may have ponied up the dollars then for a Super Split. Will the RapidFire last? I have no reason not to think it won't. Everything else I have bought from DR Country products is still in my garage.

MNGuns

DR has every right to build and sell whatever they choose. I'm sure that their model differs by more than just the paint color. They make their products in America, and they make very high quality products. DR/CHP is one of the last companies to manufacture in the USA, as well as offer the technical support and warranty that they do. Stop dogging on the way they do business. If you don't like it don't buy DR. I'm sure they won't miss you. As for them copying the SS design; if it ain't broke don't fix it. What's to say that they won't release a 2nd generation rack and pinion splitter that addresses all the weak points of the SS?

In the mean time you have plenty of good ideas you offered earlier in the thread. Why not go out back to your work shop and get started on your on design?

As for DR-They've got my vote and as soon as I need a new splitter I'm gonna look long and hard at their product.

Last edited:
As far as I know, DR doesn't manufacture anything. They private label and resell under their brand name, and a lot of it (not the Rapid Fire I'm happy to say) is made overseas.

As far as I know, DR doesn't manufacture anything. They private label and resell under their brand name, and a lot of it (not the Rapid Fire I'm happy to say) is made overseas.

Would be kinda ironic if SS made DR machines for 'em, like they do for Logrite.

So because my opinion doesn't match up with yours, you get all over my case? Nice. So the faster you go, the safer it is? Tell that to the Indy drivers. And I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reality is that many people split wood with a helper and that's where a lot of accidents happen. Most likely the users here are safety conscious, but it's a big world out there and a lot of people are using these machines without training or the benefit of years of splitting experience. So get two people like that trying to see how fast they can go splitting wood and tell me how it's safer. Just sayin'.

I like this machine (I don't own one but have tried one), and for many it's great. Just not for me. I don't like the small wedge and the lack of a 4 or 6 way.

You position the log against the wedge, then activate the mechanism, what's so dangerous about that. Even my ARMY buddies could do that w/o out getting hurt, (this coming from a "chairforce" individual). I just don't think it's fair calling them any more inherently dangerous than any other splitter, based off of velocity. If you don't take the time to use the machine properly and learn about it's proper usage and functioning, then you have no business operating it. Either way, it no where near as dangerous as any any chainsaw known to man, much less the MAC 35 I learned on. You just can't use a faster machine (or a slower one) haphazardly. Rant over.

Why not give him the chance to explain himself, ask questions or offer guidance before summarily running him down, especially in a public forum? The best analogy I ever received about being a NCO that was worth something, was to praise publicly and admonish privately, albeit in slightly different vernacular. I'm finding as I get a bit older, that goes for parenting, mentoring, and generally being a better person to be around.

If that works for you then great. But I guess you can't even take your own advice so I don't really see why I should. Besides, you post something clearly wrong in public and I'll call you on it in public for the benefit of all.

Mr. HE:cool:

I guess you must have missed some of the information contained in this thread.

If that works for you then great. But I guess you can't even take your own advice so I don't really see why I should. Besides, you post something clearly wrong in public and I'll call you on it in public for the benefit of all.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iCxZilrzg3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

I had to jump in here...The DR Rapid Fire is assembled in our facility here in Winooski, Vermont.:flag: Thanks for the positive reviews DR Owner's -- we're proud to have you for customers.

DR Rapid Fire Assembly-Line

Here a few photos of the DR Rapid Fire being assembled and shipped from our manufacturing facility in Winooski, Vermont.

Last edited:
Welcome back and thanks for the pictures. I was beginning to think you'd checked out for good.

While you're here:

1. What are the 'patent pending' aspects that differentiate this splitter form the incumbent SS model and others?
  2. There are DR users who don't like the log cradle and would prefer a table level with the beam, which is an opinion contrary to the early adopters/testers of yours you referenced earlier to justify the inclusion of the cradle. Is there any chance the cradle will be dropped on future versions?
  3. There's been a rather decent list of suggestions herein for the improvement of the DR splitter (and some worthwhile opportunities to differentiate it from other brands). Is a new version containing any improvements likely and if so, what improvements and when will that be released?
  4. Any chance of making one of these available for an AS GTG please, to be run alongside a SS and possibly a Speepro also?
  5. Are the flywheels balanced in USA or China? If the latter, are the machines run at WOT before leaving your factory?

Thanks.

203481d1319054470-img-20111006-00091-jpg

Here a few photos of the DR Rapid Fire being assembled and shipped from our manufacturing facility in Winooski, Vermont.

There are DR users who don't like the log cradle and would prefer a table level with the beam, which is an opinion contrary to the early adopters/testers of yours you referenced earlier to justify the inclusion of the cradle. Is there any chance the cradle will be dropped on future versions?

I believe you are thinking of the SpeeCo, pretty sure the table is level with the beam.

Very interesting thread! I would like to see a comparison between DR and Splitfire. I tried to import a supersplit to Australia, and they weren't interested; I see why now, a small company deciding to stay small, well good on them! CMCCUL8146, would you mind showing some photos of your machine? Have you thought of making a set of drawings and selling copies for all the less inventive of us who can still build things if shown how? Kiwi, why don't you talk to Chris at Taskpower in Nelson? They import the Splitfire from Canada and incorporate some real improvements to the base models, like larger wheels, removeable drawbar, large flat tables, increased working height...all things that I see people wishing for on the DR/supersplit, and they are right there in NZ.
Great input from lots of people on this thread, keep it up!

Latest posts

Back