EAB in Bucks County PA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scary stuff, the trees they found the EAB'S in is 5 mins from me. Lots of mature ash trees in this area.

I looked into the spread of the infestation last May, before moving some wood that was about 20 min. from me. I wasn't too concerned, since there are no Ash trees (that I know of) near by, but I wanted to do the "right thing". Had no idea they were that close...

Not good news. I haven't seen here in Lehigh County yet, but probably are here too (is the next Co. north).
I have lot's of Ash, but fortunately a good heterogeneous mix of hardwoods overall.

I have been seeing them in Montgomery and Berks county for over a year. But apparently it isn't official until they show up in one of their purple traps. :msp_razz:

I have been seeing them in Montgomery and Berks county for over a year. But apparently it isn't official until they show up in one of their purple traps. :msp_razz:

Yup the whole state has been in quarantine for some time now.... at first it was just the counties in the north but then it went state wide in no time..

Ahh, that stinks. I'm sure this non-winter will help it move even faster. I've been expecting this, and understand that many even more difficult changes are coming, but it's depressing. We'll have an bonanza of ash firewood for a few years, and then no more.

I looked into the spread of the infestation last May, before moving some wood that was about 20 min. from me. I wasn't too concerned, since there are no Ash trees (that I know of) near by, but I wanted to do the "right thing". Had no idea they were that close...

From the beginning of PA's firewood movement quarantine, I have wondered how that would manage to stop a flying insect. Not very well, apparently. As Will Rogers said 'its a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for'.

The 'expert' in the article is still claiming that not moving firewood is effective at preventing the spread, so I guess some folks will believe anything if you repeat it often enough.

More importantly, I'd like to know if PA's DCNR has changed its policy, since their action plan consisted of removing and destroying any ash within a half mile radius of an infested tree. This has prevented me from treating my ash trees as I considered it throwing money away.

Which would explain why the last update of PA's EAB website had them only in the middle of the state. I have it on good authority that those stupid purple boxes are pretty useless.

From the beginning of PA's firewood movement quarantine, I have wondered how that would manage to stop a flying insect. Not very well, apparently. As Will Rogers said 'its a good thing we don't get all the government we pay for'.

The 'expert' in the article is still claiming that not moving firewood is effective at preventing the spread, so I guess some folks will believe anything if you repeat it often enough.

More importantly, I'd like to know if PA's DCNR has changed its policy, since their action plan consisted of removing and destroying any ash within a half mile radius of an infested tree. This has prevented me from treating my ash trees as I considered it throwing money away.

The truly unfortunate aspect of this...if they are cutting and destroying the trees is your property rights going out the window. Especially considering how effective some of the new injections are at eliminating the pest.

On a side note them little buggers are good eating.. fry em up in a cast iron skillet with some butter and franks red hot. mmmmmm finger lickin good :biggrin:

Sorry to hear,

We have no live Ash trees left here (N.E. Indiana) they've (EAB) been here for years.
I heard they came in originally from Toledo (that's only 100 miles from here)

It is sad, but Mother Nature is resillent and some of the stumps are shooting out suckers.
Hopefully the bug dies off before the little ones get big enough to eat.

I have 10+ acres of woodlot with hundreds of dead Ash 12" DBH and larger.

They are straight and limbless for nearly 30 feet, too damned nice to just burn.

I live in southwestern PA and the devastation is incredible. I must have 50 -100 dead ash trees on my property.
I collected the seed pods from the few ash trees that haven't died and will attempt to replant this spring.

Its inevitable, just log off all your marketable ash, and watch the rest demise. Sad sad. This is yet another reason to not import oriental products, they sadly bring more than just the products. I've been loggin alot of ash in the past three years and have found quite a bit that has already died . Well before that county was in a quarrantine.

Back