Ebay chainsaw antics?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason -

If a person rewinds a bit and looks at the initial auctions. By looking at the solid chainbrake/handguard handle I doubt that is anything more than a 038 AV. That is unless they changed it, but regardless both of those prices are a bit pricey to pay for an 038 AV or 038 Super. If your looking for saws to flip ebay imo isn't a great resource unless you find something severely mispelled or misrepresented. The only other time I've found decent deals is if you follow the newly listed items religiously and someone puts a BIN at a very low price because they are unaware of the market value. If your looking for a part/project saw give me a ring tommorrow and I'll see if I have something that would interest you.

Walk away.

Then walk away from EBay. Unless you like drama, and criminals that go unpunished.
Yes there's scum on Ebay, but there's also upstanding sellers, or at least I try to be. Look at feedback and what items do sellers specialize in selling, look at their completed listings and ask questions. Usually you can tell who's scamming and who's not.

She just emailed me pics and its an 036 Pro that appears to be in decent shape.

She said "my mistake" :dizzy:

Now what to do. I kind of still want it to flip and pay some people, but should I offer a different price?

I have neve been in this situation before.

I just spent some time looking at her accounts and if you got a 036 pro for 175 I think
you did pretty good.

A similar thing happened not that long ago that a lady used a googled pic to sell her saw. That pic beloned to a member here and there was all kinds of mayheim raised for not using the correct pic.

However her saws sold and the buyer's were happy I think..

A lot of weird stuff happens on ebay due to misunderstanding and lack of patience.

give her the benifit of the doubt and see how it plays.

A few years back I bought a big stihl and next morning I got a call from a freind and said I got screwed because he bought the same saw the night before from another account on a buy it now and it came with an alaska mill.

He saw the one I bought and thought it was all a big scam going on so he cancelled his trans action and filed a claim through ebay before he contacted the seller. He paid 900 for an 090G with a 6 foot alaska mill.

I paid 900 for the 090G without the mill. Turns out it was a father and soon who both had accounts and sold the same saw without telling each other..

my freind would have got the package had he not freaked and cancelled and filed a claim.

I got the saw and all was well and he got his money back eventually but learned not to jump the gun.

E-Bay

There are a few shady individuals on E-Bay but I have bought quite a few different things and came away happy. Sometimes the item was not as good as I had thought and sometimes it has been better than I expected. Twice I have been very unhappy and contacted the sellers immediately. Both times the sellers have bent over backwards to remedy the issue. One was a 621 top cover with coil. I contacted the seller before bidding and asked if there were ANY cracks or dents (as is often the case on these old saws) Seller said "nope, it's mint". I picked it up and a couple of other parts they had but when it arrived it had a big dent/crack on the top and the usual cracks out from the air filter hole. They apologized, credited my account for the price plus shipping and said to keep the cover. The cover wasn't much but it did have an excellent coil and switch. Polite communication goes a long way in trying to get somewhere with someone over the phone or e mail.

Hope you get what you want.

There was a woman running a similar deceptive sales game over in the woodworking tools section. She was selling routers and other power tools and using other ebay seller's pics. She was told to stop it but only after a lot of woodworkers complained to Ebay about her. Before she stopped she got real nasty with the people that were piling on and making her life miserable by asking tons of questions.

update on this little deal.

I ended up buying the saw just for the hell of it. It showed up today with postage due in the amount of $18.12. The reason for that was she shipped it usps media mail. Chainsaws cant be shipped that way. The reason usps knew it was a saw was because there was a small hole in the box and they saw what was inside.

Anyway, i paid it and contacted the seller, after I pulled the muffler cover and found a scored piston. I also let her know about this. She responded saying I was trying to scam her. So I went ahead and filed a dispute with ebay. I have the receipt for the postage due, a pic of the shipping label and all that. I also took pics of the scored piston and cylinder. Other than that it is a real nice clean 1998 model 036 Pro.

I ended up buying the saw just for the hell of it. It showed up today with postage due in the amount of $18.12. The reason for that was she shipped it usps media mail. Chainsaws cant be shipped that way. The reason usps knew it was a saw was because there was a small hole in the box and they saw what was inside.

Anyway, i paid it and contacted the seller, after I pulled the muffler cover and found a scored piston. I also let her know about this. She responded saying I was trying to scam her. So I went ahead and filed a dispute with ebay. I have the receipt for the postage due, a pic of the shipping label and all that. I also took pics of the scored piston and cylinder. Other than that it is a real nice clean 1998 model 036 Pro.

This sounds like a clear case where the seller knew absolutely nothing about the merchandise being sold and should have never been listed by her. You should win your dispute. I have been guilty of this. My neighbor lady learned that I sold on Ebay. She ask me if I would list an old doll for her. She said it was very old. I listed it as being very old and got several emails telling me it wasn't. I canceled the listing as I know nothing about old, or new dolls and told her to learn how to sell on Ebay herself. I have 100% positive feedback that was at stake. Good luck in your dispute.

Bummer, Hopefully it all works out for you. E-bay is starting to get pretty bad. My wife bought some special shampoo for the dog. When she went to pay with paypal (which was the sellers preferred payment) it would not go through. She contacted the seller (which had 100%) the seller said there was a problem with her paypal account and for us to pay with a money order. We never received it, filed a dispute and e-bay sided with her because we use a m.o. and not paypal. We explained the whole deal to e-bay and still nothing. :angry:

Seems to be lots of scams on Ebay now. Maybe has something to do with the recession. I posted a thread recently about receiving a mint MS200T with the serial no. ground off. I returned it and got my money back.

Sounds like you will have to rely on Ebay's dispute system. Hope you get your money back.

Just got off the phone with ebay. Full refund or eat it basically. I have already ordered a new piston for it, so i will just have to live with it. I tried everything to work with her and she isnt budging. I left her negative feedback, which I have never done before. Ebay is now in my rearview mirror forever. I will probably be banned anyway after the little talk we had on the phone a minute ago, lol.

I suppose I still will have a real nice 036 Pro with a case for 250$ or so in the end with a new piston and rings.

Maybe you could give us her username (maybe already did) and we could at
least bombard her with ridiculous questions on all of her items???

Just got off the phone with ebay. Full refund or eat it basically. I have already ordered a new piston for it, so i will just have to live with it. I tried everything to work with her and she isnt budging. I left her negative feedback, which I have never done before. Ebay is now in my rearview mirror forever. I will probably be banned anyway after the little talk we had on the phone a minute ago, lol.

I suppose I still will have a real nice 036 Pro with a case for 250$ or so in the end with a new piston and rings.

Sorry to here the BS you went through but sometimes its just best that way, you will know what have anyway.

The 036 I did awhile ago with a metior piston for a friend has had the crap run out of it and its still going strong.

If I end up with another Stihl in the flock it will probably be a 036

Sorry to here the BS you went through but sometimes its just best that way, you will know what have anyway.

The 036 I did awhile ago with a metior piston for a friend has had the crap run out of it and its still going strong.

If I end up with another Stihl in the flock it will probably be a 036

I dont know whether I will keep it or flip it, I can probably make a little bit, but Im leaning towards keeping it just because. Other than the piston it just needs a real chain. It even passed pres/vac test. I dont know at this time what caused the piston scoring other than carbon or foreign object damage. The rest of the internals look new. The sticker is still on the case.

Imma go have a smoke and I'll shoot a few pics, so you all believe me, LOL!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Isn't it possible that she didn't have a way of taking a pic of her saw and just "borrowed" a pic that was already there? I did that on one of my ebay items that was identical to another one, just used the same pic. Not trying to swindle anybody, just more convenient. I doubt the woman knew anything about the piston scoring. But like someone said "ebay is getting bad". There are still a few honest ones on there but if they keep getting screwed, they'll be gone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back