Echo chain saws..which one to get

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good 70cc will make that 60cc look stupid in 24" wood. And so on, and so on. A 60cc is good for occasional 24" wood, not continuous. Unless you like to wait.

I recently was heading to Home Depo to look at the 590. However I stopped by my local Echo dealer. They has about 8-12 new in boxes Echo's 55OP. This model is being discontinued and priced to move.Has a 20 BC 325, has an Oregon rim sprocket 7pin and clutch. Anyway I walked out the door with one. Well balanced.A muffler modification was deemed necessary. How an engine was supposed to breath with this is a mystery.A carburetor adjustment was also performed.Now ready to make the chips fly.

i run 70cc and larger as well. yea a 70 has got more--

a 60cc will be plenty in 24" IFyou know what your doing.

if you can't keep the chain and bar in shape it ain't gonna cut even if its 90cc-s

i haven't noticed the 620s or 6100s being 'slow" and we have cut some rather large hickory with them.

A 60cc saw will NOT run with a 70cc saw in 24" and bigger wood. All things being equal. Imo, of course.

If around 20 inch and up is your regular cutting, then why fool around?

I recently was heading to Home Depo to look at the 590. However I stopped by my local Echo dealer. They has about 8-12 new in boxes Echo's 55OP. This model is being discontinued and priced to move. Anyway I walked out the door with one. A carburetor adjustment was also performed.Now ready to make the chips fly.

IF you ever need to replace that walbro WLA series carburetor,
It's gonna be a sticker shock!
The mounting bolt pattern is oddball angle, relative to the throttle shaft. It's Not in the usual index of most shutter type carb bodies.
Nothing else will be "easy" to cross fit.
They have an air valve built into a top block of the carb.
It's a really Nice compact strato carb, just the pricing sucks.

I was looking into that series of carburetors (WLA-) due to them being used on the pb-500 blowers. I was looking at a larger venturi.
I think the stock carb may get opened up.

The entire group of carbs is crazy priced if you need a new (non ethanol exposed) one.
Plus, From the looks of the parts diagram, I think we're all dealing with an accelerator pump too.

A 60cc saw will NOT run with a 70cc saw in 24" and bigger wood. All things being equal. Imo, of course.

If around 20 inch and up is your regular cutting, then why fool around?

No question a 70cc will outcut a 60cc. OTOH, the OP said he would be using it 4-6 hours a month. Not so sure a 60cc option isn't a sweeter spot financially. The 590 at $399 list looks like a hell of a fit for the wood and time he's talking.

The 501 just feels "right". I'm getting it.
I have never been called "fluffy". Lol BUT I do have paralysis on my right side. 90% of my strength is on my ledt side. No worries on using a saw I have been doing it since I was 16 or younger. I think it seems to be just a tad nicer built.

The 501 just feels "right". I'm getting it.
I have never been called "fluffy". Lol BUT I do have paralysis on my right side. 90% of my strength is on my ledt side. No worries on using a saw I have been doing it since I was 16 or younger. I think it seems to be just a tad nicer built.
Be sure to give us a review after you've had a chance to run it.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Look at the side by side of the plastic case clamshell saws and look to see where they are made, you won't find it. The cs-490, the cs600p are full magnesium cases and distinctly say made in Japan on them. Spend the little extra dough and have a lifetime saw instead of a Bic lighter.
Just so happens I have a new cs490 and a 5 hour cs600p, I'd be willing to let you try either one for 30 days and give a refund if not happy. Or if you got the smaller one and decided that you want bigger, I'd give you full price trade in. Pm me for my number if you want. Chuck

Look at the side by side of the plastic case clamshell saws and look to see where they are made, you won't find it. The cs-490, the cs600p are full magnesium cases and distinctly say made in Japan on them. Spend the little extra dough and have a lifetime saw instead of a Bic lighter.
Just so happens I have a new cs490 and a 5 hour cs600p, I'd be willing to let you try either one for 30 days and give a refund if not happy. Or if you got the smaller one and decided that you want bigger, I'd give you full price trade in. Pm me for my number if you want. Chuck
That's a very nice offer!

I'm looking a several Echo chain saws. I'm looking at the cs 590,490, 450 and 400. I was initially looking at the 590 with a 18" bar. It seems like a great cutter for the money. It is not in there pro line though. I was told to look at a 400 and 490 by a friend. They look decent. I worry that the 400 would be under powered. I had a 40cc Craftsman that would stall the chain...even new. It was weak. The 450 seems like a semi pro saw with the aluminium handle and such. Does the 450 have a better longer lasting engine and clutch than the others I'm looking at? I want something that will last me for 15+ years. My use is 4-6 hours a month. I would use it to get firewood and clean up after a storm. It would be used on a mix of Cedar, Oak and Maple.
Thanks,
Dustin
I've had two 590s for over 4 years only used the first one lol
Never had an issue cut many truckloads of firewood.
I just muff modded it and retuned.
I bought a 490 and muff modded it two years ago it's been excellent.
I run a 20- 24 rs on the 590 and a 18 rs on the 490 .
For felling and bucking i prefer the 590.
For limbing and light tree work the 490 does great.
Other than the china 372s i bought recently.
the echo's are the best bang for the buck saw's I've found.
Several friends bought the Echo's 20170614_204747.jpg after trying mine lol

a good 60cc will cut 24" and larger all day long. i don't get where folks get a 60 won't cut ?? don't know how to sharpen??

a 24" ain't considered big even for pulpwood.
I'm told that all the time i let people try my 590 with a 24 full comp rs and it changed their minds.
Never tried skip on it.

I'm told that all the time i let people try my 590 with a 24 full comp rs and it changed their minds.
Never tried skip on it.
I think that's an online mentality perpetuated by folks who have never tried it.

I ran a 28" with full comp on my 562 this spring and it cut and oiled just fine in hardwood.

Back