ECHO chainsaw warranty five years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s funny on a couple of levels.
I wish I understand the humor. Glad it's making someone happy. I like good old honest, fair minded folks. I try hard to be honest, fair, and kind. I want to see exactly how this warranty goes. A lot of people value my advice. I've been recommending Echo since 2015 because I've bought 4 and never had a Warranty claim. If they honor the SMALL things then I'd trust them on the large things. I'm very curious to see how they handle this. It's not the money, it's the principal. In fact I could afford to buy a saw like that every Friday If I wanted to. I'll give but don't want even a Penny taken from me. Heck, I've given cars away. Fair is fair and cheating is cheating. That's all. Be Bless.

Our vehicle has plastic pieces on it that snap off when my wife runs into ****.

I am going to have a talk with my Ford dealer next week......
I want a mirror covered under warranty...

Wouldn’t you have to throw a chain to break the chain catcher? Wouldn’t that come under operator error?

Wouldn’t you have to throw a chain to break the chain catcher? Wouldn’t that come under operator error?
Well IF throwing a chain cost money I'd have lost thousands over 50 years.
Back in the day EVERY chain catcher lasted more than 1 chain coming off. Have we moved into THAT dark place. Car crashes are TOTALLY different than a chain coming off. A new car being driven exactly as expexted and the plastic radiator springs a leak may be warranted. A chain catch made out of plastic sounds like inferior design. If the ignition key breaks in a new car because it's made out of plastic should they be made out of metal. Can we say, oh you broke your key?
Really, that's why Cars have Recalls. Poulan built a saw model 2150. The chain catch is METAL. So when it it become a good idea to start using Plastic to catch metal. If the replacement were 2 bucks but broke every time a chain jumped Yes Id complain.
I can't remember ever felling a tree and having lost a chain. BUT, Limbing in heavy brush once a year and dropping a chain is a marvelous feat.
Men who have never dropped a chain at least once a year are Not working in heavy brush clearing around trees and cutting limbs. The answer is simple. Build a saw that catches a fallen chain BECAUSE you know you can OR bait and cheat the public and make light of those who KNOW they are being ripped off. Echo states their saws are Professional. If I'd wanted **** saws I'd bought a New Poulan. If Echo wants my recommendation
They need to build quality. I'm used to Quaility. The 024 Sthil has a metal chain catch. Someone told me Echo was Good. I believed them. No wonder all my friends are still Sthil guys. Have a nice day.

Sorry but if I saw a plastic chain catcher I would have passed. I love my Echo saws but to get a saw down to “cheap price” level you have to cut corners somewhere.

Ill
Sorry but if I saw a plastic chain catcher I would have passed. I love my Echo saws but to get a saw down to “cheap price” level you have to cut
Sorry but if I saw a plastic chain catcher I would have passed. I love my Echo saws but to get a saw down to “cheap price” level you have to cut corners somewhere.

Sadly, If they don't make it cheap to replace I'll never buy another. Also I have talked friends into buying and now must stop. They know that it's normal to loose a chain occasionally. If they spend a dollar more this Flaw could be fixed. But, my dealer may get a cheap part and IF he does I'll be happy. The first time they turned me down. Next week the owner meets with me. No saw should break the first time a chain breaks. I love the CS 490 and 590. I really didn't need the cs352. Just thought it was going to be a nice toy. Have a great day.

I just removed the limiter caps and custom tuned a Stihl MS-660 Magnum that came in here for repairs. I'm not the first bit worried about a Warranty, it's far more important to give these engines the fuel they need to run correctly so you don't smoke the P/C.

This new fuel requires more of it, and we're finding out that a lot of power equipment that's been out there a few years responds very well to a slight recalibration.

Case in point. Just took in a Honda 2500 generator that wouldn't stay running. The owner bought it new about 15 years ago after a storm took out the power, ran it couple of times, put Stabil in it and tucked it away. The only thing wrong with it was the fuel had lost enough octane it wouldn't burn. Yes, dumped the tank in the gravel driveway and had trouble lighting it with a torch.

I put good fuel in it, fired right up, but "hunting" horrible at no-load and at full load voltage dropped to about 90 volts. The owner (he's a legend in his own mind) advised me that the engine "hunts" but it "fine under load" and did not need any adjustments.

He was wrong about that deal so we removed the carburetor and started opening up the main jet in .001" increments, put it back on and load tested it. .001" helped slightly but we could still engage the choke and smooth it out and not see a big voltage drop at full load.

Went up another .001" and it got even better, but still hunting some at no load and dropping to about 100 volts at full load.

Went up another .001" and it was FLAWLESS. Setting the governor at 120 volts it would pull 2500 watts and still hold 115volts at full load. It hunted slightly when cold then smoothed out when fully warmed up, so basically a perfect carb setting.

I see the EXACT same thing with these chain saws, leaf blowers, string trimmers, etc. They respond very well to custom tuning on this new fuel so we remove the limiter caps from every single one we work on here and tune them before giving them back to the customer. The only problem with this is that some of the "low end" stuff has fixed jet carburetors, and many others require "special" tools which can be purchased for about $10 on line to make carburetor adjustments. Before I sit down I'll add here that I haven't seen a single piece of power equipment in at least 10 years that was spot-on right out of the box for A/F ratios and ran like it should have without making these adjustments.......Cliff

The whole side cover is 11$ on eReplacementParts.com for USA guys and for Europe guys like me Stokker.com has it for 8€.You are talking about a 10 bucks part and judging a manufacturer about how good is to honor the warranty.I don't care about Echo or any other manufacturer,i am in fact a european guy that "hates" everything Japanese from cars to motorcycles(lets say i would take a KTM or Ducati over a Yamaha or Honda in a heart beat),i own a cs 490 only because i found it really cheap on Ebay and i really like that saw but come on,i want to believe that someone has better things to do than bothering with a 10$ part.If it was an expencive part,i would demand from the dealer to change it no questions asked.Now for a 10$ part i wouldn't mind to pay for it and call it a day.

The whole side cover is 11$ on eReplacementParts.com for USA guys and for Europe guys like me Stokker.com has it for 8€.You are talking about a 10 bucks part and judging a manufacturer about how good is to honor the warranty.I don't care about Echo or any other manufacturer,i am in fact a european guy that "hates" everything Japanese from cars to motorcycles(lets say i would take a KTM or Ducati over a Yamaha or Honda in a heart beat),i own a cs 490 only because i found it really cheap on Ebay and i really like that saw but come on,i want to believe that someone has better things to do than bothering with a 10$ part.If it was an expencive part,i would demand from the dealer to change it no questions asked.Now for a 10$ part i wouldn't mind to pay for it and call it a day.

I played the game with @Wow in another thread. Amen!

So far I've NOT found a them at that price. 38 dollars on Amazon. I've been All over those places.

First: All saws occasionally drop a chain. That's the reason saws have chain catchers. I've owned many different brands of saws for over 50 years. Going back to McCoullough saws with Felt wicks in the gas tanks and back then No hand Guards. All saws ive owned as far back as in the 60's and up to this saw. ALL had chain catches. NONE EVER broke when they did their job to catch a chain.
The job they were desgined to do is catch and not break.

Any saw that is designed so chitty that the chain catcher can't do it's job properly has a design flaw.

Simple as that.

Echo needs to RECALL that crap. And or dealers should keep a cheap 10 dollar part on hand so when a saw comes in the problem can be solved right then.

I drove 100 miles to be told, well it's a cheap saw and we can't fix it. NO it's NOT a cheap saw. A Poulan, or a Chinese saw is a cheap saw. I'd have paid more if they had said, hey this plastic crap breaks. 20 bucks more and you can get a decent saw. Id have paid it .
I love my cs 590 and my cs 490. My brother bought a cs 620P because I recommended Echo to him. My other Brother bought a Sthil and paid more because he didn't trust Echo.
Echo WILL either man up and as you said offer a 10 dollar part when the saw comes in or loose business. I have sent lots of my friends to Echo.
At my Dealership the mechanic DID NOT offer me a 10 dollar fix.
He sorta blew me off saying, It's a home owner Saw and cheaply made.

The web site said All Echo saws are professional.

The dealers mechanic offered NO REMEDY. NONE at all.

I walked out with a broke saw. That's why you are reading this.

But to be fair I've made an appointment with the owner of the business to chat with him.
IF he fixes this problem you WILL get updated.

I'm hoping for a good outcome. It may be his hired hand just had more pressing things to do and didn't care. It may be they have no idea.

What ever it is. My saw needs fixing.

So driving 200 miles to maybe get what could have been a 10 dollar part sold to me over a week ago is irritating.

When I brought the saw inn if they had said, that parts not covered by warranty BUT we can sell you THIS 10 DOLLAR PART and solve your problem,, guess what!!!. I'd have fixed the saw and we would not be having this chat.

Put yourself in my place.
How would you feel?
Thanks. Have a nice day.

I dropped a new saw once and did some damage.
It never once occurred to me to take it back to the dealer and scream warranty....
Hell it only dropped a couple of feet.....
A good saw should be able to handle being dropped from a tree, sheesh!!!

A chain catcher should not be a one-time only use feature.

Especially since it an integral part of the operator safety system on a modern power-saw. That is, if safety is truly a consideration..or is it just an annoyance to work around/to?

It’s a cop-out by the manufacturers to save pennies, this cheesey chain catcher thing.

Combined with the epa complying short-cut of limiter caps (not a whole lot of engineering required there!) it shows disrespect to customers, imo.

“Good enough” to pass. Once. .... D-

Disrespectful to customers. The taste of a new generation.

I should buy a new clutch cover for my Dolly 420 now while I can still get the right colour..

This is not corner cutting as much as laziness in design and construction. Whether the cover costs 3 bucks or 30 bucks is not the point. A powersaw should not be rendered useless after one mild throw of the chain.

Sounds like this guy throws lots of chains!!
He probably bought the saw at a Home Depot, and the dealers don't give a crap.
I used to work at a Husky/Echo dealership once, and Lowes/Home Depot warranty claims were not handled...
Err, handled well anyway.....

Latest posts

Back