ECHO chainsaw warranty five years?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google "echo c300000402". I didn't look at a lot of links, but saw it for close to $9, a little over $10 on another site.

I personally wouldn't drive 100 miles and fight over something that isn't an obvious defect for that money.

I own and use three different small Echo's and have no complaints with any of them.

Also have to admit that after 35+ years I've never thrown a chain.

Sounds like this guy throws lots of chains!!
He probably bought the saw at a Home Depot, and the dealers don't give a crap.
I used to work at a Husky/Echo dealership once, and Lowes/Home Depot warranty claims were not handled...
Err, handled well anyway.....
You need to read closely. I've used the saw 7 months. Threw the chain ONCE in 7 months. Broke FIRST TIME.

So far I've NOT found a them at that price. 38 dollars on Amazon. I've been All over those places.

First: All saws occasionally drop a chain. That's the reason saws have chain catchers. I've owned many different brands of saws for over 50 years. Going back to McCoullough saws with Felt wicks in the gas tanks and back then No hand Guards. All saws ive owned as far back as in the 60's and up to this saw. ALL had chain catches. NONE EVER broke when they did their job to catch a chain.
The job they were desgined to do is catch and not break.

Any saw that is designed so chitty that the chain catcher can't do it's job properly has a design flaw.

Simple as that.

Echo needs to RECALL that crap. And or dealers should keep a cheap 10 dollar part on hand so when a saw comes in the problem can be solved right then.

I drove 100 miles to be told, well it's a cheap saw and we can't fix it. NO it's NOT a cheap saw. A Poulan, or a Chinese saw is a cheap saw. I'd have paid more if they had said, hey this plastic crap breaks. 20 bucks more and you can get a decent saw. Id have paid it .
I love my cs 590 and my cs 490. My brother bought a cs 620P because I recommended Echo to him. My other Brother bought a Sthil and paid more because he didn't trust Echo.
Echo WILL either man up and as you said offer a 10 dollar part when the saw comes in or loose business. I have sent lots of my friends to Echo.
At my Dealership the mechanic DID NOT offer me a 10 dollar fix.
He sorta blew me off saying, It's a home owner Saw and cheaply made.

The web site said All Echo saws are professional.

The dealers mechanic offered NO REMEDY. NONE at all.

I walked out with a broke saw. That's why you are reading this.

But to be fair I've made an appointment with the owner of the business to chat with him.
IF he fixes this problem you WILL get updated.

I'm hoping for a good outcome. It may be his hired hand just had more pressing things to do and didn't care. It may be they have no idea.

What ever it is. My saw needs fixing.

So driving 200 miles to maybe get what could have been a 10 dollar part sold to me over a week ago is irritating.

When I brought the saw inn if they had said, that parts not covered by warranty BUT we can sell you THIS 10 DOLLAR PART and solve your problem,, guess what!!!. I'd have fixed the saw and we would not be having this chat.

Put yourself in my place.
How would you feel?
Thanks. Have a nice day.

I understand your frustration but my point wasn't to judge you or anything.I understand completely the way you think and feel.What i wanted to say is that you should search for all the solutions before you drive all that miles.You might be right about the cheap part and i am 100% with you that a part of a saw should last longer than on time.On the other hand every manufacturer is following the same path on their cheap saws,dolmar,stihl every one of them has the same plastic type chain cather part of the side cover,it means that a chain will break the plastic chain catcher on every one of them.I don't think that Stihl(nothing against Stihl,i just had to pick a name) will give a new side cover for free.

On every problem in our lifes we should try to find the easiest solution and not trying to find someone to blame either is a manufacturer or a dealer or you name it.What is done is done,only thing i have to say to you is that you should order a new side cover and move one.Don't make your self upset for a chainsaw or a dealer.Think of that,last week i drove my car to the repair shop because i had the engine light on.They connected the car to the diagnostic tool and said we must change the oxygen sensor.I said ok,200€ part plus their work.Next day check engine light was on again,drive the car back to the shop,they checked it again and said it must be the catalytic converter that should cause the problem and the old oxygen sensor could be ok.Now put yourself in my place,should i take my gun and rip their heads off(just kidding,i don't own a gun)?Can you understand why i would pay 10$ instead of doing what you are doing?

You are right about the 38$ side cover but this price is for the full cover(tensioning system and everything).I was talking about the side cover only,just the plastic piece,,you will have to remove some parts from the old cover to put to the new cover.Kudos to Echo for give to you this solution,they think of you to give you only the cover for that cheap instead of forcing you to pay for the whole assembly..

This is not corner cutting as much as laziness in design and construction. Whether the cover costs 3 bucks or 30 bucks is not the point. A powersaw should not be rendered useless after one mild throw of the chain.
It’s a sign of the times. Save 50 cents per item. Sell gazillions. Lose a few customers along the way. Oh well.
Which is it?

What I meant was any of the cheaper line saws be it Stihl, husky , etc. are prone to this problem. A $200 saw is a $200 saw it will not stand the abuse of the higher price saws, we are in a disposable world. Heck I use to rebuild fuel pumps on cars now you cant do that just buy a new one.

I understand your frustration but my point wasn't to judge you or anything.I understand completely the way you think and feel.What i wanted to say is that you should search for all the solutions before you drive all that miles.You might be right about the cheap part and i am 100% with you that a part of a saw should last longer than on time.On the other hand every manufacturer is following the same path on their cheap saws,dolmar,stihl every one of them has the same plastic type chain cather part of the side cover,it means that a chain will break the plastic chain catcher on every one of them.I don't think that Stihl(nothing against Stihl,i just had to pick a name) will give a new side cover for free.

On every problem in our lifes we should try to find the easiest solution and not trying to find someone to blame either is a manufacturer or a dealer or you name it.What is done is done,only thing i have to say to you is that you should order a new side cover and move one.Don't make your self upset for a chainsaw or a dealer.Think of that,last week i drove my car to the repair shop because i had the engine light on.They connected the car to the diagnostic tool and said we must change the oxygen sensor.I said ok,200€ part plus their work.Next day check engine light was on again,drive the car back to the shop,they checked it again and said it must be the catalytic converter that should cause the problem and the old oxygen sensor could be ok.Now put yourself in my place,should i take my gun and rip their heads off(just kidding,i don't own a gun)?Can you understand why i would pay 10$ instead of doing what you are doing?

You are right about the 38$ side cover but this price is for the full cover(tensioning system and everything).I was talking about the side cover only,just the plastic piece,,you will have to remove some parts from the old cover to put to the new cover.Kudos to Echo for give to you this solution,they think of you to give you only the cover for that cheap instead of forcing you to pay for the whole assembly..
Thanks for that information.
On the car my Honda mechanic treated me very well.
I FINALLY found that part on line.
If someone had told me at the dealer what you said, we would not be having this conversation.
However, it's a flaw design for any saw to be built like that and ONLY the Customer can change the that.
We ALL must DEMAND better.
They will build better only when we DEMAND better.
We all should protest shoddy crap.
I was taught to stand up for my rights.
It's my right to demand QUAILITY.
I'll gladly pay more.
If I'd wanted cheap I'd have bought a 150 dollar Poulan not a 259 dollars Echo.
Echo Sthil any saw maker should be ashamed of themselves building crappy chain catchers.

Many years ago Poulan built great saws.
The PP 380 was a wonderful saw.
Many years ago. I dropped an old Poulan 2150 out of the top of a huge Sweet Gun tree.
It WAS tethered but something went wrong and down it came. Landed point of bar tip. Bounced back airborne. Almost doubled the bar. Came to rest sitting upright. Motor still running. Saw STILL runs. Only damage, the bent bar.
Was already an old saw. No warranty. Paid 150 new.
Never had a chain catcher replaced.
Echo should be as good as Poulan not built cheap like the new Poulan.
Cheap crap is what causes people to shy away from the modern Poulan. Poulan has a bad reputation. They earned it.
Now we see name brand saws doing a Poulan.
I'm all for the Customer demanding better. I'll pay but I want quality. Am I asking to much? Only if we collectively say, NO we don't want cheezy chain catchers and we won't buy this crap will the market change. Have a great day

Echo used to not be too flexible when they tell the dealer no over the phone. If an irate customer bellyaches enough with a Stihl rep, they'll give him what he wants to shut him up.
But in my past experience, if the Echo rep says no, that means no.

So you are going to bug this poor dealer until you get a new sprocket cover?
Even if he has to pay for it?
NO, the Dealer is not the Problem. I'll tell him that. If Echo don't pay, I will. But someone needs to ring Echo's bell.

Echo should Pay for it..
He and I are victims of corporate greed.

The Japanese know better.
I'll bet they are ashamed of themselves. I bought Nissian and Honda vechicle plus a Motorcycle made in Japan Because until now Japanese products have been the best.
Quaility work is what I demand of myself and
I demand it of those of whom I'm associated with.
I hope the Dealers will put Pressure on Echo.
They could easily beef up that thin plastic connection. It's a flaw. To easy to break. Change the composition. Make it more flexible. Fix the Problems not just sell more parts.

NO, the Dealer is not the Problem. I'll tell him that. If Echo don't pay, I will. But someone needs to ring Echo's bell.

Echo should Pay for it..
He and I are victims of corporate greed.

The Japanese know better.
I'll bet they are ashamed of themselves. I bought Nissian and Honda vechicle plus a Motorcycle made in Japan Because until now Japanese products have been the best.
Quaility work is what I demand of myself and
I demand it of those of whom I'm associated with.
I hope the Dealers will put Pressure on Echo.
They could easily beef up that thin plastic connection. It's a flaw. To easy to break. Change the composition. Make it more flexible. Fix the Problems not just sell more parts.

Unfortunatelly this is the truth about Japanese philosophy,they only care to gain sales.I have personal experience with both Yamaha and KTM warranty.You would be disgusted if i describe you the case with Yamaha.TDM 900 with low mileage,one rod shot and they did what ever you can think to not cover the warranty.My friend forced to find a used engine plus that we where a couple of months back and forth to the dealer beging the Manufacturer to cover what he get paid for.KTM on the other hand left me,my dealer and almost 10 people inside the shop with our jaws to the ground with their top of the line behavior.10.000€ supermoto with only 5.000 klm broke the piston,they asked us to send them a few parts (piston,cylinder,head) to perform their controls.2 weeks later a huge box from Austria and inside was new cylinder,piston,crankshaft,gaskets,almost 2000€ parts.One was classic Japanese behavior and the other European manufacturer behavior.Besides my 490 and my Navara pick up,i don't own anything Japanese and i never will(i regret it about the Nissan but anyway).We are getting offtopic.

Latest posts

Back