Echo CS-3510 or CS-400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ficek7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Has anyone ran these two saws side by side? While I started thinking about selling my Stihl MS291 and getting a CS-590, but I think I'm going to hold tight on the 291 for now. Looking for a smaller, lighter saw for smaller projects which is probably going to be of more use anyway. What say you? CS-3510 or the CS-400?

I'd go smaller than the 400 and grab the cs-3510 if it were me. I'd also sell the 291 and grab the 590 as the cost difference isn't much for buying a new or slightly used 590 compared to what a used 291 would sell for.
You would probably get more hits on this if it was in the chainsaw forum, rather than in the trading post, which is why you had to select "want to buy".
@pioneerguy600 could you please move this sir :).

I'd go smaller than the 400 and grab the cs-3510 if it were me. I'd also sell the 291 and grab the 590 as the cost difference isn't much for buying a new or slightly used 590 compared to what a used 291 would sell for.
You would probably get more hits on this if it was in the chainsaw forum, rather than in the trading post, which is why you had to select "want to buy".
Thank you, sir. I agree on where I posted this. Didn't mean to post here and can't figure out how to delete.

Done

Depends on how small your smaller projects actually are. I have a CS 361P, but spend more time using my CS2511T because I cut lots of 5" and under stems and girdle larger trees doing forest improvement projects. If you need the larger option, consider the CS4910. Barely heavier than the CS400 but 25% bigger engine. Then you may not need the MS291any more.

After deciding to get a lightweight saw, I got a cs3510. My cutting buddy has a cs 400. By my observation, they seem quite equal in cutting and the cs400 is noticeably heavier. Talking 12"-14" wood here. Anything bigger, the cs400 wins.

I’ve owned a 400 for about 5 years, lightweight, easy to start, not to loud, pretty economically priced , it’s a nice saw for small jobs but if I was buying a new small saw it would probably be battery powered.

I own both saws... the 400 is a great saw, very tuff and totally reliable, but it is a bit heavier, the 3510 is my preference for small fast cutting work, it's very light, and better throttle response in stock form.
I own quite a few small saws, cs2511t, cs3510 , cs400 ms194t, ms180, ms250, husky 435 & 440, 350, 346xp, 353, 026, and out of all of them the cs3510 is the one I grab first when I'm cutting very small wood, (like all under 5" diameter).
The only complaint I have with the 3510 is it's broken down at the moment.....

I have a 3510 and 620 combo. I use the 3510 for everything I can until I need to use something bigger. With a full chisel non-safety chain the 3510 cuts pretty dang good. For the non professional, the cost to performance ratio is really good.

I have both the CS-400 & CS-3510 (As well as a CS-670, CS-590, CS-346, CS-345 & CS-310 :) Of them all the 3510 & the 590 are the ones I go to the most. The 400 was the 1st Echo I bought and I really like it but most things it can do the 3510 will do just as good.

Of course I totally forgot to take a single pic or video today 🤦‍♂️.A buddy just bought 60+ acres all wooded and we needed to clear some areas to drive into. I used the 3510 all day on trees from a few inches to about 15 inches in diameter. Then limbed them and cut them up. It is such a good saw for this kind of work. I did bring the 620 along to drop some big trees but I was pretty tired at the end and decided it was safer to wait until another day when I was not so fatigued. I found there is some good practice to be had even on smaller trees using wedges, bore cuts, falling against a lean, etc when the stakes are low.

i see alot of 3510s on facebook for sale ,,,anyone having problems with them? i got some small trees,, 10 inches or less and limbing to do and my old jonsered is just worn out and got to be very heavy for an old dude. i have seen some 3510s for as little as 175 on marketplace facebook around here locally.
my stepson just bought a timber wolf and he loves it..he said it cuts circles around the stihls they have at the fire dept.

I have two 3510's no problems great saw. Being an entry level saw I'm not surprised you see them on FB. Go check some out, let us know what you find.
i got one in sight now that i may go look at,,looks like it hasn't been used but once ,,looks new and the guy has 5 star ratings from folks e has sold stuff too the last 7 years ,,so it may be worth a 45 minute drive. 170 ain't bad.

Mine needed some decent tuning out of the box just to get it running, could be why they’re up for sale. However, I love that little thing. I always throw it in the truck when I head to the woods. I tossed the chain and put a full chisel non-safety stihl chain and a muff mod. It’s so dang light and is very capable.

Back