echo cs 360t muffler mod help please?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boutselis

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Inside the muffler is this metal thing. It looks just like the corigated cardboard ring our cat scratches on.

how does that thing work/ why is it there?

Do I just drill a couple of holes in the exhaust like I did for my ms390?

Inside the muffler is a "can" with a catalyst in it. Remove the catalyst. The can has holes in it, pretty small. I opened all of them up to 5/16" then welded the muffler back together.

Once back together I opened up the exit hole about 1/8", then re-installed the deflector.

The carb will need to be tuned. The muffler mod is a big wake up call for that saw. Sorry about not having any pics of the modifications, but I have a few of the CS-370 mufflers, and although they don't need cut in half to mod them, the "can" catalyst, and exit hole/deflector are pretty close to the same deal......Cliff
attachment.php

The pic shows the "can" on the CS-370's muffler after removing the catalyst.

There are 4 small holes in the bottom of the can that get opened up that you can't see in the picture. I used drill bit to open them up, then reached in with a die grinder and carbide cutter to clean up the jagged edges. Pretty easy modification on the CS-360T once you get the muffler split......Cliff

I don't have time to split and re weld the muffler. It will have to wait I guess. What is inside my muffler doesn't look like a can. It looks more like a honey comb. I'll have to take a picture of it.

I don't have time to split and re weld the muffler. It will have to wait I guess. What is inside my muffler doesn't look like a can. It looks more like a honey comb. I'll have to take a picture of it.

Does Echo make a non cat version? I do a lot of modifications, but I will never mess with a cat.

that is the catalist,,get it out of there,,when you get it dug out then make sure it is smooth around the edges of the wall,,,and make sure oyu get all of the pieces out of the muffler by blowing it out with compressed air

No need to split & weld. Grind her out of there and be sure to clean up the burs nicely. Then blast some compressed air and make sure nothing is rattling around.

Open the original exit larger, slap her back together, and tune.

I just drilled a 3/16" hole through the catalytic thing at an angle to the top chamber and then enlarged the exit hole. I didn't have the tools on hand to grind it all out. It is an improvement so far.

I just drilled a 3/16" hole through the catalytic thing at an angle to the top chamber and then enlarged the exit hole. I didn't have the tools on hand to grind it all out. It is an improvement so far.

Just be sure the entire honeycomb is gone and you should have no restrictions. I asked on here when I did mine, and the response was leaving the chamber was OK. So basically there are 2 chambers with passageways in the muffler - otherwise it would just be completely hollow.

So she woke up a bit? I had to retune big time, way off from original settings, which were probably mucked up from previous owner to begin with.

Just be sure the entire honeycomb is gone and you should have no restrictions. I asked on here when I did mine, and the response was leaving the chamber was OK. So basically there are 2 chambers with passageways in the muffler - otherwise it would just be completely hollow.

So she woke up a bit? I had to retune big time, way off from original settings, which were probably mucked up from previous owner to begin with.

I got rained out today and won't be cutting till tomorrow but it seems way better. The former owner had removed the limiters and I think he was the guy who messed up rebuilding the carb too and thats why it never really idoled right. I always thought it was only a fuel line leak but it was a bad rebuild problem also.

In short I don't know how far from factory settings I am.

Back