Echo cs370

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just at a dealer today checking out the CS-450. Right above it was a 530. In my hands the 450 weighs the same as the 530 and was only like $30 less than the 530. I would go the 530 route if it ws me.

Cs 370 vs cs 400

Do you have any experience with the 450?

Sorry, no experience with a CS-450. The CS-510/520's are excellent, and there are a lot of them showing up on E-Bay these days. I just grabbed up a nice 520 for $142.00. They are quite a bit stronger than the 440's, and not much heavier.....Cliff

Cliff,

Any opinions on the CS 400 as opposed to the CS 370?

Am I wrong in thinking the 370 doesn't have an adjustable carb. If they do can you mod the muffler to make them run like a 211? I've ran a 370 for about 5 minutes and thought it was extremely weak, I just bought a 211 and it is a high revin rippin little limbing saw that just flat out performs. I don't know if it's gonna hold up under commercial use but we'll find out.

Earlier last year I tried out some cheaper saws for limbing at a local dealer who let me try out a Stihl MS211, Echo CS370, and Husky 435. When trying them out the 435 was fastest, but more cc's than the others and pulls .325 pitch chain. The Echo had carb adjusted by dealer and was faster than the 211. I purchased the 370 and the 435 and haven't had any problems with them. I finally picked up a 346XP and sold the Echo to a coworker who can tear anything up, but he hasn't had any problems to date. Really liked the quality of the echo compared to the stihl and husky and it was the cheapest at the time. At that time, dealer wanted $239 for CS370, $249 for 435, and $289 for MS211.

Cliff,

Any opinions on the CS 400 as opposed to the CS 370?

My well broken in muffler modded CS-370 was 7 seconds faster for 5 cuts than a stock CS-400 with about 2 tanks thru it.

The test was done in cherry, both had the same 14" bar/chain set-up, in 13" or so diameter material.....Cliff
attachment.php

Cat removal

Cliff,

What method did you use to remove the catalyst on the muffler? I am in the process of working on a CS-400 muffler and I am not having any luck removing the catylst core nicely. Before doing this, I did machine away the stock inlet hole on the muffler using a 1" endmill to make the opening round and completely expose the catalyst core.

I attempted to heat the muffler up using a MAPP gas torch to pull apart the two halves, but I could not get it hot enough to liquify the brazing compound in the joint. I ended up grinding the flange off between the two halves and usings brute force separate the two halves. I still have the catalyst material still stuck in the center baffle.

BTW, in case anybody cares, I machined an adaptor for this muffler to install it on my Superflow Flow bench, so I have flow data on a stock muffler, and will ultimately flow my modded muffler to characterize the flow improvments.

-erik

I just clamped the muffler up in a soft jawed vise and worked the catalyst out with a hand drill and large drill bit. I finished up the edges/cleaned up the inside of the "can" with a carbide cutter on a die grinder.....Cliff

I'm really liking my CS400 lately, one feature it has is a automatic throttle advance when you pull the choke out, the 370 doesn't. i'll be doing some timed cuts soon now that they're broken in. I found that a 1" drill bit in a drill press with a vice for holding the muffler takes that cat out in a couple of seconds. Steve

I noticed that the Echo part numbers for the CS-370 muffler and the CS-400 muffler are different. Anyone know that the physical differences might be?

Is there a non-cat version of this muffler out there?

I like my CS-400 saws (I have two) a lot as well. Very underrated especially interms of quality. Not a lot of power, but as this and other threads state, there is a lot of potential in these saws. It is a nice handling chainsaw as well.

-erik

Quote:"I'm really liking my CS400 lately, one feature it has is a automatic throttle advance when you pull the choke out, the 370 doesn't. i'll be doing some timed cuts soon now that they're broken in. I found that a 1" drill bit in a drill press with a vice for holding the muffler takes that cat out in a couple of seconds. Steve"

Steve, thanks for the info. :cheers:

I have some questions:
Did taking out the cat make the muffler any louder?
Did you mod any other part of the muffler?
Did you have to take the limiter caps off and re-adjust the carb?

I'll be looking forward to your timed cuts. :greenchainsaw:

Ronnie

I've got an Echo cs440 that I bought new three years ago and have been using it mainly for limbing and for trail clearing for atv trails. I did a muffler mod on it and it really came alive! They are really choked down a lot in the muffler dept. Got rid of the 18" bar and replaced it with a 16" which it handles a lot better. I have probably put 25 to 30 tanks of gas thru it and the only thing I have done to it is clean the air filter.They are a good saw when used for their intended purpose and are very reliables. They will leave a Wild Thing in a pile of wood chips!!!

Damn right, I had one. Great saw. Used it for a year and sold it for a profit so I can't complain. Once I had my 026 rebuilt and running it was not really missed but it was a great quality saw with many good features.

Quote:"I'm really liking my CS400 lately, one feature it has is a automatic throttle advance when you pull the choke out, the 370 doesn't. i'll be doing some timed cuts soon now that they're broken in. I found that a 1" drill bit in a drill press with a vice for holding the muffler takes that cat out in a couple of seconds. Steve"

Steve, thanks for the info. :cheers:

I have some questions:
Did taking out the cat make the muffler any louder?
Did you mod any other part of the muffler?
Did you have to take the limiter caps off and re-adjust the carb?

I'll be looking forward to your timed cuts. :greenchainsaw:

Ronnie

I put a couple extra holes in it also, it's louder but not to bad. I wear muffs
You need to pull the limiter caps muff mod or not 99% are set to lean from the factory. Steve

Hey Eastexan, which saw did you finally buy?

I was in Home Depot the other day and happened to see last year's display model of an Echo CS-306 and got it at a good discount.

I know it's old tech, but it's light & perfect for the small stuff I have around here. :)
So now, I think I'll look for a good mid-range saw around the 40cc size, like the CS-370, 400, or 450. :chainsaw:

Ronnie

I was in Home Depot the other day and happened to see last year's display model of an Echo CS-306 and got it at a good discount.

I know it's old tech, but it's light & perfect for the small stuff I have around here. :)
So now, I think I'll look for a good mid-range saw around the 40cc size, like the CS-370, 400, or 450. :chainsaw:

Ronnie

Good to hear that you didn't let the saw bashers talk you out of an Echo. I really like that 360TH. Don't know much about the 306.

I was looking at that 450 and posted a thread asking some questions about it. Doesn't weigh much more than the 370 or 400 and has the clutch driven oil-er which I though was a good thing. If you get one, let us know how you like it. :cheers:

I just bought a CS 370 $150.00 NIB. This is my first post and I have really learned a lot from this thread. I was going to start to mod the exhaust by Dremmeling out the spark arrestor screen cover ala Cliff's pics. My question is do you replace the screen when you put the enlarged cover back on or do you just throw the screen away? - Randy

Back